Author Topic: Early 90’s Mel-Man leaks show foundation for Dre’s 2001 sound  (Read 358 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th

I’m not a musician so I can’t describe exactly what Me-Man is doing but it’s like that hollow sound in the back of the melody or drums—it’s the same thing you hear on “Next Episode” but just with a different melody slightly but that instrument is the same on the opening track. Is it called a guitar lic? Keyboard? Drum? Sample?  But it’s a signature Mel sound.  Heck, even at the end outro of “the Hoe Shop” track you hear the same damn keys sound they used for that Michael Myers joint on 2001 “Murderer”.

Mel laid the foundation for Dre’s post Death Row launch and held it all the way thru 2003 they were still using this foundational sound.

In typical Dre fashion Dre could basically take a dope sound or dope style and then mold it into a monster hit or worldwide phenomenon
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Okka

Re: Early 90’s Mel-Man leaks show foundation for Dre’s 2001 sound
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 04:06:32 AM »
I don't hear it.

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

HighEyeCue

Orbyte

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 07:25:34 AM »

I’m not a musician so I can’t describe exactly what Me-Man is doing but it’s like that hollow sound in the back of the melody or drums—it’s the same thing you hear on “Next Episode” but just with a different melody slightly but that instrument is the same on the opening track. Is it called a guitar lic? Keyboard? Drum? Sample?  But it’s a signature Mel sound.  Heck, even at the end outro of “the Hoe Shop” track you hear the same damn keys sound they used for that Michael Myers joint on 2001 “Murderer”.

Mel laid the foundation for Dre’s post Death Row launch and held it all the way thru 2003 they were still using this foundational sound.

In typical Dre fashion Dre could basically take a dope sound or dope style and then mold it into a monster hit or worldwide phenomenon
I think you mean the guitar.

BIGWORM

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 08:29:18 AM »
the sample is from

herbie hancock~watermelon man 1962

Same Beat...

dolly my baby remix. supercat, scoob, biggie & puffy rappin like onyx

« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 08:40:39 AM by BIGWORM »

heisenberg

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 06:52:36 AM »
Quote from: Infinite Trapped in 1996 link=topic=339730.msg3165118#msg3165118 date=1648809482

I’m not a musician
[/quote

close the topic please

abusive

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 09:36:20 AM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 10:39:32 AM by Okka »
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 12:30:11 AM »
it’s a guitar with short plucks and yea it’s something they used a lot durin that era, only dre gave it life and made it sound much crispier than what u hear in that joint

side note, mel was a pretty dope rapper .. shame he never got on the mic more in them 2001 days.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 04:51:54 AM »
it’s a guitar with short plucks and yea it’s something they used a lot durin that era, only dre gave it life and made it sound much crispier than what u hear in that joint

side note, mel was a pretty dope rapper .. shame he never got on the mic more in them 2001 days.

Yep.. that's what I'm talking about.. I'm trying to say I don't know instruments, but I know that's a signature sound.  It's got that echo in the back, and Dre didn't start doing that till Mel-Man came around.  He makes it clear and crisp and puts that echo in the back.  If it's a great melody like "Next Episode" then its a huge hit. 

And Mel-Man had that entertaining self-deprication style, that in my opinion Biz Markie is the originator of.  Ol School rappers like Biz and Fat Boys--Mel Man's generation came up influenced by cats like that.  That's why you hear ODB, Mel-Man, (Eminem SSLP days), type rappers using that style.  Like it's a comedic style but the lyrics are on point.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)