Author Topic: Bumpin No Limit lately!!!! Mac was under my radar  (Read 419 times)

Dee Tha AK

Re: Bumpin No Limit lately!!!! Mac was under my radar
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2022, 10:06:00 PM »
"The Ghettos Tryin To Kill Me" is my favorite Master P album. Personally.
... And the cover 😂

The following users thanked this post: Teddy Loc

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2022, 10:55:45 PM »
I'm Bout it Movie

Went back and watched "I'm Bout It" movie.  It actually aged well with time. 

I was 15 when it came out and thought it was horrible the first time I watched it because I couldn't understand what was going on.  The first scene had that cheesy "stakeout" music playing in the background and the sound quality wasn't balanced between MIA X, P, Serv-On, and all those talking at the table it was hard to hear and hard to see because the visual quality. 

This was all well before "The Wire" came out and really detailed on screen the ins and the outs of street politics/drug sales, and I was still a kid so I honestly had no clue what the fucc was going on.  I mean I wasn't totally stupid I knew they were drug dealers but the part I didn't get was--"Is this suppossed to be a comedy?  Is this like a dangerous scene?  Is this just to showcase Master P's artists?  What the fucc is this?"

Now, watching this as an adult having studied comedy, and knowing more about film making I understand what they were doing with balancing comedic elements for comic relief to soften the harsh realities of the street life--and it was actually all really, really well done.  That one crack head was a damn funny comedian actually but I didn't understand his humor at age 15; same thing with that old lady that talks shit and gets high.  All that stuff went over my head.

At age 15 the only part I really got from it was I liked the romance element with Mercedez after he robs the main drug dealer and they go shopping and he tells her his plans to rule the world with Sons of Funk "Pushin Inside of You" playing in the background.  And I liked some of the music sparsed throughout the film and the way it transitioned into concert footage at the end.

The best thing P did without film was it really set up his whole label--because it spotlighted a lot of their best work throughout the film.  Their biggest song "I'm Bout It" starts bumpin right at the end to complete the drama of him finally taking out the cities largest dope dealer and then transitioning into concert footage.  You also have the set-up with his brother dying in the film so when "I Miss My Homies" came out later in the year or "Heaven For A Gangsta" was out a year earlier, you already had the real life backstory which made the music more dramatic.  Then you got the party scenes in the film where they bumpin one of the top 3 No Limit joints of all time "How You Do Dat Dere" and you get a glimpse of the Down South culture having fun.  You also get the funeral scene with the trumpets and street procession which is an excellent display of the culture from down there.

Snoop agrees with me he had Master P on that show he used to have a few years ago and that was the best project that ever came out of No Limit was the "I'm Bout It" movie and soundtrack.

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Teddy Loc

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2022, 06:32:38 PM »
... And the cover 😂

Yes. The cover is amazing and vintage. Real Talk.
#NoDoubt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2022, 04:26:31 AM »
Yes. The cover is amazing and vintage. Real Talk.

Yeah that shit was “underground” in that day.  We used to call that “underground” which is kind of funny because what it really was, was “low quality”. 

A year later Eminem put a spotlight on the real rap underground which was a lot of hungry artists with great lyrics who only headz would listen to.  Sort of like Rawkus Records movement became the official representatives of raps underground.  And that Master P No Limit shit lost its credibility.

If you look thru the old Source magazines you will see what I mean.  In 96 and 97 their adds said “Raps #1 Underground Label” then a year later they changed it to “Rap’s #1 Selling Record Label”.  But the music was the same, and the same quality.  It was just a marketing tool to call in “underground”.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2022, 09:01:04 AM »
That Mac and Nas song is dope

yeah...I believe it was from Macs Lost Tapes album

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2022, 10:00:28 AM »
yeah...I believe it was from Macs Lost Tapes album

The Master P version was on his "only god can judge me"

HighEyeCue

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2022, 05:21:57 AM »
The Master P version was on his "only god can judge me"

yep...I prefer Macs version but either way its a classic track 8)

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2022, 04:43:16 PM »
yep...I prefer Macs version but either way its a classic track 8)

Sure but master P version ain't that bad either.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2022, 01:39:41 AM »
Sure but master P version ain't that bad either.

I heard both and the problem was the chorus was never right on that track.  Seems on the Mac version they have a girl on there singing like hood gospel.  Then on the P version they realized it was wack and took the girl off.  Still the hook brings the track down—or else it could’ve been a classic.

Duck Duck Doggy

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2022, 08:17:07 PM »
master ps early work from out in the bay is his best

the ghettos tryna kill me

:exquisite:

For real. No limit has a lot of great material. Cash Money too

Duck Duck Doggy

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2022, 09:37:12 PM »
Smokin on that master p weed I got from the Ice Cream Shop in the valley off Moorpark. Bumpin that’ Ghettos tryin 2 kill me 211