Author Topic: “Money, Houses, and Cars” Bad Azz, Kurupt, prod. by Soopafly Appreciation Thread  (Read 224 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
This was that era where Kurupt had a big ego and appeared like he wasn’t trying very hard and still living large off his Death Row fame.  Headz that were old enough will remember Bad Azz and Kurupts first solo came out around the same time—two of the first album I ever bumped in the ride 16 year old got into a wreck bumping this song cause I didn’t know how to make a left turn on a green light, lol. 

Bad Azz sounds like he freestyles his whole last verse—but Soopafly uses the pay phone 📱 effect on it so it sounds dope.  Soopafly makes this song great, as Bad Azz and Kurupt lyrics are somewhat subpar at the time—but in 2022 they sound like Rakim, lol.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 01:48:59 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

HighEyeCue

dope track 8)

"Word on tha Streets" is a personal classic of mine...I remember it came out maybe a week or 2 before "Kuruption!" came out...copped them both at HMV records in NYC

The following users thanked this post: Young Old Head

• Muthafuckin' Don!
dope track 8)

"Word on tha Streets" is a personal classic of mine...I remember it came out maybe a week or 2 before "Kuruption!" came out...copped them both at HMV records in NYC

Yep exactly we are on the same page then.  That was a strange era because Def Jam and Bad Boy had blown up and we were all just waiting for the West Coast to drop something big.  It seemed like every release was going to be that one.  Like who was gonna be the one to put the West back on top?  Waited all 97’ nobody did it.  98… King T, no.  Snoop, no.  Daz put out an album good enough but for whatever reason it didn’t sell.

Then it was Kurupt and Bad Azz turn in October 98’ that was the month.  It was kind of more of the same though.  Dope albums but not enough to put the West back on top.

HighEyeCue

Yep exactly we are on the same page then.  That was a strange era because Def Jam and Bad Boy had blown up and we were all just waiting for the West Coast to drop something big.  It seemed like every release was going to be that one.  Like who was gonna be the one to put the West back on top?  Waited all 97’ nobody did it.  98… King T, no.  Snoop, no.  Daz put out an album good enough but for whatever reason it didn’t sell.

Then it was Kurupt and Bad Azz turn in October 98’ that was the month.  It was kind of more of the same though.  Dope albums but not enough to put the West back on top.

definitely...I think Antra dropped the ball with "Kuruption!" though...Kurupt coming off a single that is probably a top 10 GOAT west coast track and they follow it up with I believe it was "Gimmewhachagot"off the East Coast Disc...I remember seeing the video on BET and was like WTF?...it was basically Kurupt and Barshawn freestyling on stage over a subpar production...I don't think this dude Barshawn ever made another song...by the time they dropped the "Ask Yourself a Question" video the momentum from "We Can Freak It" had long died down an pretty much was a wrap for that album commercially

Sccit

definitely...I think Antra dropped the ball with "Kuruption!" though...Kurupt coming off a single that is probably a top 10 GOAT west coast track and they follow it up with I believe it was "Gimmewhachagot"off the East Coast Disc...I remember seeing the video on BET and was like WTF?...it was basically Kurupt and Barshawn freestyling on stage over a subpar production...I don't think this dude Barshawn ever made another song...by the time they dropped the "Ask Yourself a Question" video the momentum from "We Can Freak It" had long died down an pretty much was a wrap for that album commercially

they shoulda followed up with c-walk or fresh

bad azz debut is a classic tho.. better than kurupt or daz debut if we keepin it a buck

rip bad azz we were in talks wit him to work a few days before he passed .. still no idea on what went down and him dying on jail makes it even more strange

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Damn homie we definitely from the same era cause you remember it like I remember it.

For those of us desperate for the West to put hiphop back to where it was supposed to be at—“We Can Freak It” met the mark.  I remember KC radio was hard to get play on and they had one top 10 countdown each week and Kurupt actually hit number 1 with that song in anticipation of his album dropping and that was in a Midwest market. 

Then what in the fuccin hell was that second single all about??  What the hell were they thinking and that really fits with the narrative about Kurupts ego being to big and him not focusing enough and dropping the ball.  Like you said I never heard of that cat on the track with him before or after.

“Questions” was a fuccin banger, classic, great single and video—and even was supposed to be a mini movie with Dre that had still never seen the light of day.  Someone dropped the ball on that also.  Maybe they were waiting for Dre and Dre was late as usual cause the song was listed as a bonus track for the album which made it look sloppy.  I thought the “We Can Freak It” remix with Nore was a nice joint and that was also listed as a bonus track wasn’t it?

The album just lacked some focus it had potential to be that winner to bring back the West, but like everything it fell short.  We had to suffer another year—it was Top Dogg and the reunion of Dre and Snoop that finally brought back the West in 99’

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue