Author Topic: "TRU Master" Kurupt, Inspectah Deck, and Pete Rock 1998 Appreciation Thread  (Read 314 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th

Kurupt was lazy in this era but came correct on this track.  Not his greatest, but definitely up to par.   Inspectah Deck sets this shit off proper and Pete Rock kind of lags in the middle, but he's more of a producer so it's alright.  Then Kurupt takes the baton across the finish line. 

This was pretty popular video on BET around the time his Kuruption album was about set to drop.

(Daz wit a cameo in the video waving the flag)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 12:53:33 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

doggfather

soul survivor is a similar album like 2001 in many way (1 producer, many, i mean maaaaaaaaaaaaaany featurings, more like a compilations than a real album), and i liked it better.
i know this is an nwa, dr dre groupie site, sorry.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

HighEyeCue

Kurupt was lazy in this era but came correct on this track.  Not his greatest, but definitely up to par.   Inspectah Deck sets this shit off proper and Pete Rock kind of lags in the middle, but he's more of a producer so it's alright.  Then Kurupt takes the baton across the finish line. 

This was pretty popular video on BET around the time his Kuruption album was about set to drop.

classic...it was during Kurupts "raw dog" era where alot of the time he just spit freestyles on record, and they would either hit or miss

this track always makes me wonder why an artist of Kurupt's caliber didn't get Pete Rock or Premier for the East Coast Disc of "Kuruption!"...guess it wasn't in Antras budget

btw this is the only track I can think of Kurupt on a Primo beat

Dee Tha AK

Beat could've been better but the line up is nuts

• Muthafuckin' Don!
soul survivor is a similar album like 2001 in many way (1 producer, many, i mean maaaaaaaaaaaaaany featurings, more like a compilations than a real album), and i liked it better.
i know this is an nwa, dr dre groupie site, sorry.

Yeah I was a fan of both of the singles, but never gave the entire album a chance.  I know someone will jump on here and be like “Infinite, you don’t know shit about hiphop, you call yourself a hiphop head and you are just now discovering Pete Rocks album, blah blah blah” in those days there were no MP3’s, I was only 16 and had money to buy one album a month—or less.  So I really only bought Death Row related material and nearly bought this album because of the Kurupt feature.

That’s why I’m going back in digging for a lot of albums like this one these days.  Sure beats checking for new shit that’s wack.

My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

• Muthafuckin' Don!
classic...it was during Kurupts "raw dog" era where alot of the time he just spit freestyles on record, and they would either hit or miss

this track always makes me wonder why an artist of Kurupt's caliber didn't get Pete Rock or Premier for the East Coast Disc of "Kuruption!"...guess it wasn't in Antras budget

btw this is the only track I can think of Kurupt on a Primo beat

Co-sign.

Damn homie we must have been living parallel lives in 1998 cause it’s like we have the same take on everything that came out around that time.

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

doggfather

nearly bought this album because of the Kurupt feature.

i bought this album for the sticky fingaz and mc eiht feats first.  ;D

now and back in the day too i buy albums for a feat only too.  ;D
than discover how amazin, breat record is that no matter (or not just) that feat matter.

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

doggfather

I know someone will jump on here and be like “Infinite, you don’t know shit about hiphop, you call yourself a hiphop head and you are just now discovering Pete Rocks album, blah blah blah” in those days there were no MP3’s, I was only 16 and had money to buy one album a month—or less.

if u aint know the 2nd album of the lost boyz or the 3rd single of the diplomats that aint a problem. BUT time to time you discover rap's and hiphop's milestones man.

There are planty of albums which need to be found or discovered by myself too. But those are mostly undergound or not too known cats. not the legends.

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
if u aint know the 2nd album of the lost boyz or the 3rd single of the diplomats that aint a problem. BUT time to time you discover rap's and hiphop's milestones man.

There are planty of albums which need to be found or discovered by myself too. But those are mostly undergound or not too known cats. not the legends.

Funny you mention Lost Boyz cause I did actually cop their second album—Love Peace and Nappiness—but didn’t listen to it much.

Their first album is still one of my all rhyme favorites.  Even in the Death Row era, Lost Boyz was probably my favorite East Coast group—and their shit still bumps to this day from their debut album.  “Renae” is like the hiphop version of Shakespeare and then all the other singles from their debut are bangers.  Prodigy of Mob Deep has a crazy story in his autobiography about his crew having a knife fight with Lost Boyz Crew in Queensbridge.  I wasn’t bumping Nas or Mob Deep in mid 90’s—but I was banging Lost Boyz.  Saw them at Lollapalooza also by the way, Snoop was there with Tray Dee.

But anyway, I get your point that you are saying it’s okay not know this and that but not to miss out on classics.  I don’t think you can put Pete Rocks album on that level though—most at the forum not familiar with the full album—only the singles.  Not just me.

doggfather

nah, not this pete rock album, but his albums with cl smooth are that kind of records.  ;)

i mentioned lost boyz couse i aint know em. or diplomats. but i gonna buy lb's albums once IMO. None of those 2 groups was groundbreakin or somethin as i know. There are a lot of artist from the 80s, 90s under my radar, so i diggin a lot too.

BUT i listened todays raps too.  ;D

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
nah, not this pete rock album, but his albums with cl smooth are that kind of records.  ;)

i mentioned lost boyz couse i aint know em. or diplomats. but i gonna buy lb's albums once IMO. None of those 2 groups was groundbreakin or somethin as i know. There are a lot of artist from the 80s, 90s under my radar, so i diggin a lot too.

BUT i listened todays raps too.  ;D

Yes, Mecca and the Soul Brother is considered classic.  Lost Boyz first one is a personal classic for me, but mostly forgotten and not considered ground breaking by most.  I do think “Renae” though—has stood the test of time and is considered groundbreaking and classic, still gets mentioned a lot.

Never liked the diplomats but there was that brief moment when they nearly became G Unit and took over the whole game even without the Em/Dre connection.

HighEyeCue

Co-sign.

Damn homie we must have been living parallel lives in 1998 cause it’s like we have the same take on everything that came out around that time.

ha ha yeah I guess you could say I am a permanent resident of 1998 ;D

I do try to listen to some new artists but I cant really feel the music

yeah I discover lots of underground these days from the 90s that I missed out on by being a mostly DPG/Pac/Snoop/Dre head

the Diplomats era in the early to mid 2000s was one I despised though, don't get me started on that ;D

Rubinho

If you are into the 90s west coast rap and feel wu-tang, lost boyz I would advice to stay away from Diplomats. They might have a good song or two, but I believe you will find most of their music to be crap. If you do listen to it, drop your thoughts

• Muthafuckin' Don!
If you are into the 90s west coast rap and feel wu-tang, lost boyz I would advice to stay away from Diplomats. They might have a good song or two, but I believe you will find most of their music to be crap. If you do listen to it, drop your thoughts

I already know their stuff I’m not a fan

doggfather

Personally i aint give a shit on diplomats.

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ