Poll

Your favorite album from 19th St Records?

C-Style Presents 19th Street LBC Compilation
5 (45.5%)
C-Style Presents Straight Outta Cali
1 (9.1%)
Bad Azz - Word On Tha Streets
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Best 19th Street Records Release?  (Read 311 times)

Okka

Best 19th Street Records Release?
« on: July 09, 2022, 04:38:35 AM »
Big C-Style's 19th Street Records record label had a short, but great run and they managed to drop 3 classic albums (in my opinion) in a row back in 1998 that still get constant play from me today. Probably 90% of this forums posters know all three of those releases. Which one do you like the best?

Dee Tha AK

Re: Best 19th Street Records Release?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 09:09:17 AM »

The following users thanked this post: Okka

doggfather

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 02:07:58 PM »
Bad azz to me.

Like compilations, but they cant reach albums level to me.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

HighEyeCue

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 06:10:51 PM »
Straight Outta Cali for me...seemed like it had more DPG involvement with Daz, Kurupt, Soopa, Tray Deee etc

but all 3 are personal classics of mine

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 09:46:50 PM »
bad azz debut was a classic

19th st is a close second tho

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022, 05:37:01 AM »
I’ve never stopped listening to Bad Azz debut since the day it came out but I must admit I’ve really been sleeping on these other two. 

The two compilations weren’t promoted right and probably didn’t even sell enough to make a profit.  I thought the LBC Crew album was the best thing to come out of WideAwake and all the vaults being released back in 2014 that album was fire and why it’s hard for me to appreciate the two compilations because I expect something on that level.

I don’t consider Bad Azz debut to be a classic though (It’s a near classic though).  It’s sloppy in places like “Money Houses And Cars” should be a certified banger but he sounds like he’s just freestylin’ his whole last verse.  And it’s a huge disappointment the 2pac estate didn’t allow “Ghetto Star” because that was a legit 2pac song that was meant for Bad Azz to have as a trade off for the timeless work on the track “Krazy” for 7 Day Theory.  Bad Azz fully deserved to have that there and if he could’ve opened up with that Snoop and DJ Pooh single off top followed by 2pac “Ghetto Star” that would’ve been huge.  There are a couple filler tracks could’ve been condensed to 16 tracks and then “The Last Time” could’ve been made a single and 2pac dedication type video
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: Okka, HighEyeCue

Eddz

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 03:52:29 PM »
19th Street LBC Compilation hands down for me as you can listen to it from front to back. It had that classic LBC G-funk sound where Straight Outta Cali's production to me wasn't as good and had a couple of filler tracks.

Word on the Street is second for me, great album but the production could have been better.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 08:55:29 AM »
I’ve never stopped listening to Bad Azz debut since the day it came out but I must admit I’ve really been sleeping on these other two. 

The two compilations weren’t promoted right and probably didn’t even sell enough to make a profit.  I thought the LBC Crew album was the best thing to come out of WideAwake and all the vaults being released back in 2014 that album was fire and why it’s hard for me to appreciate the two compilations because I expect something on that level.

I don’t consider Bad Azz debut to be a classic though (It’s a near classic though).  It’s sloppy in places like “Money Houses And Cars” should be a certified banger but he sounds like he’s just freestylin’ his whole last verse.  And it’s a huge disappointment the 2pac estate didn’t allow “Ghetto Star” because that was a legit 2pac song that was meant for Bad Azz to have as a trade off for the timeless work on the track “Krazy” for 7 Day Theory.  Bad Azz fully deserved to have that there and if he could’ve opened up with that Snoop and DJ Pooh single off top followed by 2pac “Ghetto Star” that would’ve been huge.  There are a couple filler tracks could’ve been condensed to 16 tracks and then “The Last Time” could’ve been made a single and 2pac dedication type video

I had to relisten to it this weekend...agree with most of what you said

"This Life Of Mine" and "Everything Happens fo a reason" were 2 of my joints back in the day 8)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 02:19:43 PM »
I had to relisten to it this weekend...agree with most of what you said

"This Life Of Mine" and "Everything Happens fo a reason" were 2 of my joints back in the day 8)

Had to go back and listen to those joints you mentioned I think I was sleeping on “Everything Happens for a Reason” nice cut and feat Tray Dee

The other joint “life of mine” I remember because DMX first breakthru single used the same sample

Speaking of Big C-Style he actually has a couple nice segments in the Rhyme and Reason documentary and there’s also like a live battle between some Death Row affiliates which was kind of ill, bad Azz is there too in the documentary with c-style and then they show a bit of the video Lost Boyz did with Dogg Pound it was a remix for Lost Boyz who were one of the only East Coast artists I loved during the East/West War
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 02:26:10 PM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: Teddy Loc