Author Topic: Songs that changed your entire life?  (Read 295 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Songs that changed your entire life?
« on: July 24, 2022, 07:28:29 PM »
Which songs changed your entire life?

“Ask Yourself the Question” Kurupt and Dre video changed my entire life.

I remember I was at a key moment when this song came out.  One of my friends had came over to visit me that night I was 16 and he was bragging to me because there was a girl at the school who I had damn near worshipped for a few years she was even an older girl and considered unattainable I thought she was a goddess and this friend of mine had just nailed her.  So he’s bragging about it all to me and him and I were friends but we were friends thru other friends this guy and I were totally different and opposite extremes at the core.

Hearing this dude got with this girl made me feel the size of a peanut and made me wanna not be myself and change everything about myself.  I wanted to be like my friend—I even wanted to give up listening to hiphop cause that was a big part of who I was.

Then the video aired for that song and it went straight to the soul it made me value who I was and made me want to stay true and stay real and not sell out. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 07:40:09 PM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

TRAX (SFV)

Re: Songs that changed your entire life?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 10:18:59 AM »
I dunno about one song, but rap changed my life in general.  It was the first genre of music I loved.  I listened to basically no other music for the first year after hearing it on the radio in 1987.  My friends and I even tried rappin with a boombox and a cheap keyboard, it was a mix of Beastie Boys and Fat Boys and we had a lot of fun with it.  It gave me a sense of identity, and me adopting their street attitude stopped me from being bullied at school. 
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

HighEyeCue

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 05:20:24 AM »
Which songs changed your entire life?

“Ask Yourself the Question” Kurupt and Dre video changed my entire life.

I remember I was at a key moment when this song came out.  One of my friends had came over to visit me that night I was 16 and he was bragging to me because there was a girl at the school who I had damn near worshipped for a few years she was even an older girl and considered unattainable I thought she was a goddess and this friend of mine had just nailed her.  So he’s bragging about it all to me and him and I were friends but we were friends thru other friends this guy and I were totally different and opposite extremes at the core.

Hearing this dude got with this girl made me feel the size of a peanut and made me wanna not be myself and change everything about myself.  I wanted to be like my friend—I even wanted to give up listening to hiphop cause that was a big part of who I was.

Then the video aired for that song and it went straight to the soul it made me value who I was and made me want to stay true and stay real and not sell out.

that was an underrated classic track...Dre's whole early Aftermath period is overlooked but it was solid

the video was dope as well...seeing it now though I wish it was in better quality somewhat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 09:02:04 AM »
that was an underrated classic track...Dre's whole early Aftermath period is overlooked but it was solid

the video was dope as well...seeing it now though I wish it was in better quality somewhat

Yeah I’ve always been fascinated with that period of Dre’s career from leaving Death Row to the release of the Slim Shady LP.

There’s a lot there deserves a lengthy discussion.  You got the Bullworth soundtrack Mel Man produced a solid cut for Eve—Dre did the video with LL for “Zoom” which was originally a Snoop and Dawn Robinson cut and even an earlier version titled “Smoke Weed” where Dre raps a mini-autobiography of his career.

There was the King T project that was inches from being released I still remember an ad with “In Stores Now” in Source magazine and arguing with the clerk at Blockbuster Music and showing her the ad insisting it was in stores summer 98, lol…

Dre had two or three feature shows on Rap City during that time—one for aftermath presents/Firm and they did a whole feature on King T that had Dre on the golf course talking about his sound and how he was doing a lot slower, smoother beats like “Been There Done That” sound was a bit slow and weak to my ears upon first listen but of course now the track is Iconic

I remember the “Don’t Give A Fuck/Brain Damage” single came out on Aftermath way ahead of the release of Slim Shady LP and that’s when the direction at the label changed.  But even before Eminem Dre was looking to get more into a lyrical East Coast sound—rather than a gangsta rap sound.  Like King T was gangsta but he was also a lyricist similar style to Biggie.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 09:15:25 PM »
"Ain't No Fun" changed my life too.. I was simpin hard on a bitch in 6th grade after I mistakenly broke up with her and then she made out with my best friend at the first ever legit party I ever went to.  At the time I broke up with her it was in the era of childhood where you had a girlfriend but were lucky to even hold hands so having a girlfriend was just like for bragging rights only.  Then this new girl at the school threw a party and it was like the big gamechanger.  I didn't even know that making out for hours at a party was possible in elementary school.  I was wrong.

I bumped that "Ain't No Fun" joint and was immediately cured of my simpin and caught a junior high girl at the movie theatre the next week who taught me how to use my tongue when kissing.  This sparked my epic mid-90's run when I'd go on to be the biggest pimp in the junior high.  (It was a great 2 year championship run in my life but I fell off when Pac was murdered but that's a story for another rhyme). 

All this because of the great and legendary Nate Dogg who gave up the game and taught me to be a TRU G.  RIP