Author Topic: DPG Eulogy Documentary Discussion Thread  (Read 378 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
DPG Eulogy Documentary Discussion Thread
« on: August 03, 2022, 04:33:49 PM »
I missed out on all the earlier convos on this from years back because this documentary was hard to find.  I got a physical copy from Amazon.

Excellent documentary.  The quality is really low so it’s only for the die hard fans of DPG—but it shows how the kick it on the regular and covers most everything that was going on at that time with Kurupt, Suge, and also goes into the history—you get to hear from all the DPG affiliates down to even the unknown cat who ghost produced “Gin and Juice”.

Some exclusive stories like Bad Azz admitting to getting jumped by Suge—wasn’t he also jumped by Ray J and Suge or is that the same incident?

Good music throughout—say what you want but tell me a crew that was living their life closer to the records than DPG.  Sure, there are other crews out there, but you have to put DPG right up there.  All this behind the scene footage of them just chillin translates directly to the music they made.

Ya’ll really think Kurupt had to catch a beat down to come back round DPG—doubtful—but you got Half Dead on there saying they would happily welcome him back and show love but he would have to catch a quick ass-wooping.

-Then I forgot Snoop took a shot at Xzibit saying “you can’t pull my card like Xzibit”

-DVD begins and ends with Snoop and DPG rappin Domino “Ghetto Jam” which was a fitting opener considering that Domino broke first out of Long Beach.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Dee Tha AK

Re: DPG Eulogy Documentary Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 09:57:38 PM »
Even Big Pimpin Delemond was there

doggfather

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 10:26:43 PM »
got this dvd.

but havent seen for years, so i aint remember how good bad cheap or what...
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

HighEyeCue

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 03:12:54 AM »
got this dvd.

but havent seen for years, so i aint remember how good bad cheap or what...

yeah it was not good quality from what I remember

yep

I missed out on all the earlier convos on this from years back because this documentary was hard to find.  I got a physical copy from Amazon.

Excellent documentary.  The quality is really low so it’s only for the die hard fans of DPG—but it shows how the kick it on the regular and covers most everything that was going on at that time with Kurupt, Suge, and also goes into the history—you get to hear from all the DPG affiliates down to even the unknown cat who ghost produced “Gin and Juice”.

Some exclusive stories like Bad Azz admitting to getting jumped by Suge—wasn’t he also jumped by Ray J and Suge or is that the same incident?

Good music throughout—say what you want but tell me a crew that was living their life closer to the records than DPG.  Sure, there are other crews out there, but you have to put DPG right up there.  All this behind the scene footage of them just chillin translates directly to the music they made.

Ya’ll really think Kurupt had to catch a beat down to come back round DPG—doubtful—but you got Half Dead on there saying they would happily welcome him back and show love but he would have to catch a quick ass-wooping.

-Then I forgot Snoop took a shot at Xzibit saying “you can’t pull my card like Xzibit”

-DVD begins and ends with Snoop and DPG rappin Domino “Ghetto Jam” which was a fitting opener considering that Domino broke first out of Long Beach.

interesting that Kurupt reuninted with them the same year this DVD was released

EDIT - Imdb has the release date as '06 but I believe it was released a year earlier

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0861700/

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 12:25:30 PM »

Yeah and Big Pimpin was just like his character on wax in real life.  He was giving up a lot of game on Pimpin—but of course he was disgruntled expecting more money—but DPG had the perfect response.  He says he called DPG and asked for more money and their reply was something like “how many songs were you on?” 

Basically saying yeah this guy did a few things and he was the homie but he wasn’t on that many songs and it was mostly just skits here and there.  He was like another Ricky Harris.

I think that’s Ricky Harris in the DVD there’s a cool scene with them freestylin in the back of a car and Ricky Harris breaks into what could’ve easily been a dope skit for one of their albums with some “Do you want to be a G?  Send us 25.99 and get a limited time blunt and doo rag.”

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 12:27:56 PM »
yeah it was not good quality from what I remember

yep

interesting that Kurupt reuninted with them the same year this DVD was released

EDIT - Imdb has the release date as '06 but I believe it was released a year earlier

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0861700/

It may have came out in 06’ but you can see it was all filmed during the Kurupt era at Death Row, Suge beef, and “Pimp Slapped” days.  Those are kind of the last true days of DPG because after that the artists were too old to still be out there in the streetz

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 08:30:06 PM »
Yeah and Big Pimpin was just like his character on wax in real life.  He was giving up a lot of game on Pimpin—but of course he was disgruntled expecting more money—but DPG had the perfect response.  He says he called DPG and asked for more money and their reply was something like “how many songs were you on?” 

I don't recall that but I remember him saying he carried DR on his shoulders" which was of course too much from someone like big pimp in.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 10:16:09 PM »
I don't recall that but I remember him saying he carried DR on his shoulders" which was of course too much from someone like big pimp in.

It was a bit like a drunken rant, I mean it wasn't obvious he was drunk but he reminded me of a friend that's an angry and functional drunk and is always a bit maad, but can be creative, charismatic, or even appear somewhat normal while drunk.

From what I gathered they gave him a place to stay and he basically hung out with them for a period in his life and they'd break him off some cash every now and then, probably throw him a few thousands from time to time and stuff like that, but nothing like official in the books contractually. 

My guess is he probably ran up quite a tab during his time with Death Row but then like Danny Boy and a lot of others he had nothing to show for it at the end of the day because he never saved shit.  And he wasn't going to get paid much to begin with because he wasn't on enough songs. 

Like I said, he's in the same category as Ricky Harris and Ital Joe.  What were they paying Ricky Harris and Ital Joe?  Any money complaints from those two?

Okka

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 06:22:45 AM »
One of my favorite documentaries, but they really messed up with the audio. A lot of DPG members missing from the documentary too.

Dr. Dre produced the song. Emanuel Dean clearly states what he did.

Same incident. Spider Loc was also there. He just spoke on it too.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 08:07:00 PM »
One of my favorite documentaries, but they really messed up with the audio. A lot of DPG members missing from the documentary too.

Dr. Dre produced the song. Emanuel Dean clearly states what he did.

Same incident. Spider Loc was also there. He just spoke on it too.

Reminds me of the quality of the Eastsidaz movie.  Snoop was doing his Master P I'm Bout It impression.  Snoop says that was the movie that really caught his attention to move over to No Limit.  You can tell, cause the quality is the same in his Eastsidaz movie. 

Bad Azz is an interesting case because I remember hearing him on "Beware of My Crew" and he outshined everyone on that track at the time I was a kid so I wasn't no expert in hip-hop, but I was feeling like this dude is the next big thing out of the West--then he ended up on 7 Day Theory.  He had his big solo deal, released 2 big solo albums.

Now he's dead and gone and nobody ever talks about him.  You see all this RIP Nipsey Hustle stuff but what about Nate and Bad Azz?  They were way larger than Nipsey, especially Nate.  Maybe its because of the way Nipsey died, but they try to make that dude out like he some kind of legend like Bob Marley or Pac--why?  Because he had a black business in the hood?  A clothing store?

They act like Nipsey was Martin Luther King or something

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 09:03:44 PM »
[quote author=Infinite Trapped in 1996 link=topic=340371.msg3171023#msg3

Like I said, he's in the same category as Ricky Harris and Ital Joe.  What were they paying Ricky Harris and Ital Joe?  Any money complaints from those two?
[/quote]

Good Question

k1000

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 01:22:44 AM »
You see all this RIP Nipsey Hustle stuff but what about Nate and Bad Azz?  They were way larger than Nipsey, especially Nate.  Maybe its because of the way Nipsey died, but they try to make that dude out like he some kind of legend like Bob Marley or Pac--why?  Because he had a black business in the hood?  A clothing store?

They act like Nipsey was Martin Luther King or something

First, disrespecting Nipsey is not needed.

Then, yes, the way he died gave him all this praise i believe.

Okka

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 01:37:13 AM »
First, disrespecting Nipsey is not needed.

Then, yes, the way he died gave him all this praise i believe.

It's deeper than that. Nipsey really wanted to change a lot of things.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 01:42:34 AM »
It's deeper than that. Nipsey really wanted to change a lot of things.

Nate wanted to change things too.. he was exposing busta ass niccaz and givin' game on how to keep it G

Okka

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 12:17:51 PM »
Nate wanted to change things too.. he was exposing busta ass niccaz and givin' game on how to keep it G

You on your troll game lately. Nipsey wanted to change things in his community and a whole a lot of other things.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 11:57:04 PM by Okka »