Author Topic: Coolio passed away today…RIP to a west coast legend  (Read 842 times)

Jay_J

Re: Coolio passed away today…RIP to a west coast legend
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2022, 01:36:29 PM »
he will always be remembered as the rapper who did the most famous rap song of all time. Rest in Piece.

Duckasuckin

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2022, 06:13:44 PM »
RIP to him and his magnificent songs that are still bumped to this day. On a side note, was he upset with Amish Paradise from Weird Al? I remember as a kid hearing he wasn’t with that

teecee

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2022, 06:26:49 PM »
No bullshit, I was just bumping "C U when u get there" a couple days ago.  I use music to document history and I was digging into some of the jams that made 1997 and that one was right there at the top of the list.  1997 is the last year that I didn't have a license and my mom would have to drive me to work sometimes--she hated rap and that was the only song she'd let me play.  That was a big song summer of 97' and fit the mood with Pac and Biggie dying and what was going on at the time.  I had the soundtrack to Nothing To Lose that summer, had the Soopafly and Daz banger on there and No Limit was coming up at the time with the title track. 

Then going back further "Fantastic Voyage" was the first single I ever bought.  That was one of the all-time summer jams and music videos.  I have a lot of great summer memories with one, but my all time favorite Coolio track was yet another Coolio summer jam, "I Remember".  So many great memories from summer of 94' with "I Remember" and the song itself is a nostalgic song rapping about growing up and playing Galaga and shit like J-Ro comes through with a hot verse on that one. 

Again with a summer release I remember bumpin "Mama I'm in Love with a Gangsta" to my summer league basketball games--that's one of the best Bonnie and Clyde rap tracks of all time up there with Method Man and Mary J. "All I Need".

Of course it goes without saying that "Gangsta's Paradise" was one of the all time summer jams still plays to this day.

I made a thread on here last year a Coolio appreciation thread I will try to bump up but it shows how deep Coolio's history is on the coast and he was shining well before he ever blew up on MTV.  He steals the show on these ol' school Maad Circle tracks and I'm not surprised he got signed and got a solo deal.  He got the skills to rhyme step for step with WC and then the charisma to make you be like "yo who is that" if you were watching the video at the rhyme.

RIP definitely a legend of the Coast.

My top 5 Coolio joints are

1. "I Remember"
2. "Mama I'm In Love with a Gangsta"
3. "C U When You Get There"
4.  "Fantastic Voyage"
5.  "Gangstaz Paradise"

I remember is my all time fav Coolio track, followed by Mama I’m in Love and the Nothing to Lose version of CU When I get there. 
But I gotta say, It Takes a Thief is a great album front to back, and Gangstas Paradose has some gems too (Is this Me?, Geto Hilites)

Sccit

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2022, 06:56:49 PM »
RIP to him and his magnificent songs that are still bumped to this day. On a side note, was he upset with Amish Paradise from Weird Al? I remember as a kid hearing he wasn’t with that

yea he had beef wit him and iirc tried to sue

The following users thanked this post: Duckasuckin

Dee Tha AK

HighEyeCue

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2022, 04:49:41 AM »
RIP

too many legends have been lost in recent years

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2022, 10:23:49 AM »
I think Coolio didn't get respect because he was seen as a comedic rapper like Ol' Dirty Bastard.  In the arts, comedies aren't as well-respected as serious dramatic art/artists.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Sccit

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2022, 10:58:58 AM »
I think Coolio didn't get respect because he was seen as a comedic rapper like Ol' Dirty Bastard.  In the arts, comedies aren't as well-respected as serious dramatic art/artists.

interesting take but i don’t think that’s the reason

eminem was at his peak when he was doing comedic raps

biz markie, ludacris, redman to name a few others

BIGWORM

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2022, 01:37:43 PM »
R.I.P.

Honestly, on that "Wc and the Maad Circle~Ain't a damn thing changed album" he went off on every track he was featured on. "Coolio~It Takes A Theif" is a west coast classic IMO. To me it's one of those albums where I can't say what my favorite track was because it would change!

I never really liked any other album. I always respected him for his blatant honesty in his tracks. It seems like he lost his drive after that "Gangsters Paradise" blew up.

"Now everyone in the hood knows I played the flute"

dnjp4life

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2022, 01:54:48 PM »
Very sad to hear of the passing of another west-coast rap pioneer.  Like others have said, he was an important reason why that first Maad Circle album was so good, and had one of the most recognisable rap tracks ever made playing on the radio around the world pretty much every day. Not many rappers can say that.

I only got his It Takes a Thief album at the beginning of this year and enjoyed the hell out of it. I would be interested in hearing his early stuff, presumably in the late 80s before he hooked up with WC, Crazy Toones and them if it’s out there too.

RIP Coolio.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: Matty

Sccit

FUCK-YOU-BItch

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2022, 12:32:53 PM »
Rest in Peace.