Author Topic: 30 Years Later, the Full Story Behind the Forgotten First Song of G Funk  (Read 317 times)

gfunkin2

Fun read with Big Hutch and Money B talking about the making of Above the Law's "Call It What U Want" and how Pac ended up on the track.

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/g-funk-above-the-law-dr-dre.html

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: 30 Years Later, the Full Story Behind the Forgotten First Song of G Funk
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 09:17:24 AM »
Did Dre produce any tracks for the Black Mafia Life album

...Dre must have gotten a few ideas from Above the Law, I just noticed "Pimp Clinic" uses Let Me Ride sample before Dre right?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 09:44:59 AM by TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96' »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Okka

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 09:28:40 AM »

No.

gfunkin2

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 10:28:37 AM »

...Dre must have gotten a few ideas from Above the Law, I just noticed "Pimp Clinic" uses Let Me Ride sample before Dre right?

No. But he co-produced 2 tracks on ATL's debut album, Livin Like Hustlers.

Correct. Pimp Clinic is all over the place. But that chorus is the gold and that's what Dre built upon.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 01:05:36 PM »
super classic album…even though it came out after “The Chronic” it was recorded in ‘91 into ‘92

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 08:03:39 PM »
No. But he co-produced 2 tracks on ATL's debut album, Livin Like Hustlers.

Correct. Pimp Clinic is all over the place. But that chorus is the gold and that's what Dre built upon.

Yeah, Dre's a genius at taking great ideas like their use of the "Let Me Ride" sample and there's a lot of interesting things going on in that track—but you could see how it's a bit messy as you said.  Dre is great at perfecting the idea and putting the whole thing together to perfection from beginning to end.  Dre might spend months just trying to add a few seconds of outro to perfect a track.  They said it took forever just to get Mel-Man to do a couple seconds right in his bit at the end of MMLP

ImNotKash

So we gonna forget about NWA Alwayz Into Somethin..Dre started G Funk on The DOC and Niggaz4Life albums.. argue with ya mother 😂

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

HighEyeCue

So we gonna forget about NWA Alwayz Into Somethin..Dre started G Funk on The DOC and Niggaz4Life albums.. argue with ya mother 😂

this is true

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Sccit

Yeah, Dre's a genius at taking great ideas like their use of the "Let Me Ride" sample and there's a lot of interesting things going on in that track—but you could see how it's a bit messy as you said.  Dre is great at perfecting the idea and putting the whole thing together to perfection from beginning to end.  Dre might spend months just trying to add a few seconds of outro to perfect a track.  They said it took forever just to get Mel-Man to do a couple seconds right in his bit at the end of MMLP

that’s why he’s the goat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I don't think 2pac was really that dope until "Strictly For My"... on that Above the Law track he's still spittin his Digital Underground style.  He may have coined "G Funk" on it--but Pac's verse might even be the weakest verse on the track.  I think the Chronic influenced him because by the time that Thug Life album dropped Pac was on the Death Row style even though it would still be a couple of years before he'd join the label. 

I don't even own 2pacalypse Now and have barely listened to the album.  Even "Brenda's Got a Baby" is over-rated to me.

Rubinho

I don't think 2pac was really that dope until "Strictly For My"... on that Above the Law track he's still spittin his Digital Underground style.  He may have coined "G Funk" on it--but Pac's verse might even be the weakest verse on the track.  I think the Chronic influenced him because by the time that Thug Life album dropped Pac was on the Death Row style even though it would still be a couple of years before he'd join the label. 

I don't even own 2pacalypse Now and have barely listened to the album.  Even "Brenda's Got a Baby" is over-rated to me.

I hear what you are saying, but you are wrong about Brenda's got a baby. Listen to it a few times more. The lyrics are so real, I can see the situation/story without closing my eyes. One the best songs ever made

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I hear what you are saying, but you are wrong about Brenda's got a baby. Listen to it a few times more. The lyrics are so real, I can see the situation/story without closing my eyes. One the best songs ever made

Maybe if I could have heard it back when it first came out and with no expectations.  At this point it's been talked about it's lost its shock value.