Author Topic: Snoop Dogg - No Limit Top Dogg (24th Anniversary)  (Read 1645 times)

hrsmn_london

Re: Snoop Dogg - No Limit Top Dogg (24th Anniversary)
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2023, 02:41:32 PM »
I've always enjoyed this one.

Even Quik is on there, right?

Definitely one or two tracks that could've been left off.

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2023, 11:27:36 PM »

I think it’s Snoop’s second best ever after Doggystyle.  But yeah—3 tracks I didn’t like but those were liked by other fans
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

HighEyeCue

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2023, 05:00:01 AM »

as is the case with all Snoop albums except for Doggystyle

hrsmn_london

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2023, 01:29:44 PM »
Doggfather is his best album. Snoop says majority of his fans agree.

doggfather

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2023, 10:07:12 PM »

Word!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2023, 03:12:28 PM »

That's laughable if snoop is really convinced that the majority of his fans like Doggfather better than Doggystyle.....and sad in a way too. 

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2023, 10:26:59 PM »

Here we go again.. Anyone who says this, I always know that they weren't old enough or not really into hip-hop back in 93 - because anyone who truly experienced the Chronic, Doggystyle, Murder Was the Case version of Snoop in real time and remembers what a sensation he was in the mid-90's...

...and then how the game had gotten really intense by the fall of 96' with Pac being murdered and the whole coast was leaning on Snoop--anyone who really remembers the mood at that time the day Doggfather dropped knows it was a huge disappointment when it dropped. 

It was probably the most dramatic case of Sophmore jinx in music history.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2023, 04:47:58 AM »

I'm going to need receipts on this one

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2023, 02:12:45 PM »
Here we go again.. Anyone who says this, I always know that they weren't old enough or not really into hip-hop back in 93 - because anyone who truly experienced the Chronic, Doggystyle, Murder Was the Case version of Snoop in real time and remembers what a sensation he was in the mid-90's...

...and then how the game had gotten really intense by the fall of 96' with Pac being murdered and the whole coast was leaning on Snoop--anyone who really remembers the mood at that time the day Doggfather dropped knows it was a huge disappointment when it dropped. 

It was probably the most dramatic case of Sophmore jinx in music history.

I can tell you firsthand, i was extremely disappointed.  It was nothing like what i was expecting.  Sounded nothing like Doggystyle first of all.  No Dre production.  No 2Pac guest spots.  Filled with a bunch of lesser-known acts at the time.  Groupie with Warren G and Tha Dogg Pound was the only song i was feeling when i first got the CD that i truly felt like was a good Doggystyle followup song. 

It has aged well as people like Tray Deee, Bad Azz, Techniec, Sam Sneed, Charlie Wilson are now household names but you have to remember, back in 96, they hadn't been in the limelight yet so alot of people had never heard of these guys.  We were expecting guest spots like Dre, Pac, Rage, Ice Cube, DJ Quik, Nate Dogg (more than 1 song), Dogg Pound (more than 1 song as a unit), etc. And instead we got, at the time, a bunch of nobodies.  And snoop switched to that quiet laid back flow and strayed far from the sampled G funk sound.  I skipped school to go to Best Buy to buy the CD and i listened to it once and threw it on my shelf and took me a long time to get back into it. 

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2023, 06:25:42 AM »
I can tell you firsthand, i was extremely disappointed.  It was nothing like what i was expecting.  Sounded nothing like Doggystyle first of all.  No Dre production.  No 2Pac guest spots.  Filled with a bunch of lesser-known acts at the time.  Groupie with Warren G and Tha Dogg Pound was the only song i was feeling when i first got the CD that i truly felt like was a good Doggystyle followup song. 

It has aged well as people like Tray Deee, Bad Azz, Techniec, Sam Sneed, Charlie Wilson are now household names but you have to remember, back in 96, they hadn't been in the limelight yet so alot of people had never heard of these guys.  We were expecting guest spots like Dre, Pac, Rage, Ice Cube, DJ Quik, Nate Dogg (more than 1 song), Dogg Pound (more than 1 song as a unit), etc. And instead we got, at the time, a bunch of nobodies.  And snoop switched to that quiet laid back flow and strayed far from the sampled G funk sound.  I skipped school to go to Best Buy to buy the CD and i listened to it once and threw it on my shelf and took me a long time to get back into it.

There you go homie... I can tell we are age mates, because I had the same experience.

It sounded nothing like Doggystyle.  We were expecting some hard shit and some bangers like Doggystyle.  I remember it being really soft.  Even then I loved LBC Crew cause of "Beware of my Crew" and Tray Dee on "21 Jumpstreet" so I was happy with the tracks like "Gold Rush" and "Wake Up" and "Blueberry".  To me, I thought "Blueberry" was the joint that sounded most like what I was expecting cause it sounded like some hard shit along the lines of what we'd been hearing on Dogg Food and All Eyez on Me. 

I think the shit that through me off was really the album was dominated by DJ Pooh and the nod to the music he grew up to like Charlie Wilson which obviously was way before my time and it ain't like my parents exposed me to that shit either.  So--though I love DJ Pooh and he's got bangers like "New York New York" the sound Snoop came with on Doggfather was soft and unexpected. 

If there was any debate at the time it really proved that Pac had truly dethroned Snoop and became the #1 artists in rap.  Though dead—he proved on 7 Day Theory he could totally flip the script with a new sound and new producers and still come hard and be a dominating force in the game.  Snoop tried to update his shit and come with a new style and it didnt' work.  I mean, maybe he was trying to be a visionary and wanted to come with something fresh--but it dropped one week after 7 Day Theory--and one week earlier we were blown away by shit like "Hail Mary" which sounded larger than life and then hit with "Snoop Upside Your Head" Doggfather a week later and it just didn't hit...

...I also remember not skipping school cause I was a freshman and didn't have a license yet but I paid a senoir kid I was friends with 20 bucks to skip out during lunch period and pick it up for me.  That night I remember the dread of reaching the last track which was that weak-ass Pac tribute that took little to no effort and I was just thinking to myself... that's it?? 

I literally went through 10 years of being lost in depression after that from 15-25 all thanks to Snoop failing me on Doggfather.  I needed that shit to be the man and be a mack again--music was my whole life and motivation for living then I couldn't function on that Master P/P Diddy/DMX/Jay-Z/ shit that took over the game

HighEyeCue

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2023, 09:12:36 AM »
I too had similar experiences as Infinite and Soopafly DPGC about "Tha Doggfather"

most Snoop fans in that time period would agree that it was a major letdown...how it is viewed now does not change that fact for us

I do understand that for many others "Tha Doggfather" might have been their introduction to Snoop so their feelings are different

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2023, 01:44:49 AM »
I too had similar experiences as Infinite and Soopafly DPGC about "Tha Doggfather"

most Snoop fans in that time period would agree that it was a major letdown...how it is viewed now does not change that fact for us

I do understand that for many others "Tha Doggfather" might have been their introduction to Snoop so their feelings are different

Yeah even my son says Doggfather is his favorite Snoop album.  It is really interesting how it was viewed later vs. the day it dropped.

The day it dropped I even remember MTV did a special on it that week talking to people in the streetz and it was all disappointment.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2023, 08:02:22 AM »
Yeah even my son says Doggfather is his favorite Snoop album.  It is really interesting how it was viewed later vs. the day it dropped.

The day it dropped I even remember MTV did a special on it that week talking to people in the streetz and it was all disappointment.

I remember when they did that...one dude was asked what his favorite track was and he said "Blueberry"

interesting in that Snoop doesn't even rap a verse on that track

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2023, 09:12:39 AM »
I remember when they did that...one dude was asked what his favorite track was and he said "Blueberry"

interesting in that Snoop doesn't even rap a verse on that track

Bingo! 

...and MTV must've been doing pretty good reporting in those days because that's exactly the same song I would have said was my favorite on that day the album came out.  I remember I was 14 so my brother used to drive me to school so I used to copy the best songs onto cassette tape to listen on the way to school and the next morning after Doggfather came out that was the song we listened to on the way to school "Blueberry".  It had that hard, gangsta sound you expected from the Doggystyle album.

Really that song was probably orchestrated by Daz, LBC Crew, and Sam Sneed and I bet Snoop wasn't even on it.  It was for the LBC Crew album.  Then they just added it last minute to the Doggfather and had Snoop talk on the outro at the end.

And that's the best song on the album?

shmosh

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2023, 04:29:13 AM »
The funny thing about Tha Doggafather is it could've been so much better too. Tracks like Dogg Collar, Midnight Love and Street Life were all cut and cutting some of the shit to replace with those alone would've made it better