Author Topic: What is it about Kurupt “Ask Yourself The Question” that’s so great??  (Read 615 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
This song literally changed my life when I was 16 years old.  Is it the way Kurupt is flowing on the track?  Is it the lyrics?  The beat?  The fact that Dre was down at the time and this was a very rare appearance for him after leaving Death Row and before Eminem blew up?  Something about this song is like no other because it had a big effect on me and I can still bump on repeat to this day—but I can’t put my finger on exactly what it is.

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

HighEyeCue

love this song 8)

lyrics are not mind blowing or anthing but Kurupt floats on it and Dre’s delivery is so dope…beat by Dre is crazy as well…the West Coast Disc of “Kuruption!” had nothing but gems

Sccit

it’s produced by dre

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
And it almost didnt make the album.  It was a last minute addition.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
And it almost didnt make the album.  It was a last minute addition.

Well it really didn’t make the album.  The project came out a bit sloppy—cause like it was some additional packaging listing it as a “bonus track” and the East Coast Remix of “You Can Freak It” with Nore was the same way and another solid cut “Survive Another Day” was also like a bonus…

The point is it just made it all come off slightly sloppy—I mean “Give Me What You Got” and “Light It Up” did not deserve to be follow ups and singles. 

They should’ve followed up “We Can Freak It” with “Questions” because those two tracks jumpin off the woulda been perfect.  Then cut out the fat on the album and some of the filler—condense it to one disc… steal one of the Kurupt joints that ended up on Daz solo

Point is, just a bit of fine tuning here and there it could’ve been a classic and platinum

HighEyeCue

didn’t know this at the time but the single actually contained the Hos a Housewife remix…both produced by Dre

https://www.discogs.com/master/125785-Kurupt-Ask-Yourself-A-Question-Hos-A-Housewife-Remix

• Muthafuckin' Don!
didn’t know this at the time but the single actually contained the Hos a Housewife remix…both produced by Dre

https://www.discogs.com/master/125785-Kurupt-Ask-Yourself-A-Question-Hos-A-Housewife-Remix

Well there you go… it’s likely maybe the “Hoes a Housewife” version they did for Dre’s album and for Streetz was recorded in the “Questions” sessions… add that to Kuruption and cut the filler, make it one disc you got a classic.  Bonus tracks listed as regular tracks.  Delay the release a month or so to get everything right—and no 3rd single just do two singles like Dogg Food—only “Freak It” and “Questions”

Replace the weak “Hoes” version with the Dre version for Kuruption

HighEyeCue

Well there you go… it’s likely maybe the “Hoes a Housewife” version they did for Dre’s album and for Streetz was recorded in the “Questions” sessions… add that to Kuruption and cut the filler, make it one disc you got a classic.  Bonus tracks listed as regular tracks.  Delay the release a month or so to get everything right—and no 3rd single just do two singles like Dogg Food—only “Freak It” and “Questions”

Replace the weak “Hoes” version with the Dre version for Kuruption

yeah the followup single to "Freak It" wasn't it...I remember seeing the video on Rap City and thought this is the 2nd single? Kurupt was onstage just spitting a freestyle and some dude "Barshawn" joined him for a couple of verses...he was never heard from before or again lol

by the time the "Questions" video came out all momentum for the album was lost

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
love this song 8)

lyrics are not mind blowing or anthing but Kurupt floats on it and Dre’s delivery is so dope…beat by Dre is crazy as well…the West Coast Disc of “Kuruption!” had nothing but gems

Yeah there were some gems on there. Although my favorite track was on the east coast disc, Game. Wasn’t a fan of a lot of the beats overall and it always felt rushed to when I listen back but definitely some bangers on there

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
Well it really didn’t make the album.  The project came out a bit sloppy—cause like it was some additional packaging listing it as a “bonus track” and the East Coast Remix of “You Can Freak It” with Nore was the same way and another solid cut “Survive Another Day” was also like a bonus…

The point is it just made it all come off slightly sloppy—I mean “Give Me What You Got” and “Light It Up” did not deserve to be follow ups and singles. 

They should’ve followed up “We Can Freak It” with “Questions” because those two tracks jumpin off the woulda been perfect.  Then cut out the fat on the album and some of the filler—condense it to one disc… steal one of the Kurupt joints that ended up on Daz solo

Point is, just a bit of fine tuning here and there it could’ve been a classic and platinum

Yeah basically artwork and packaging was already done, then they threw those last 2 tracks on there and put a sticker on the front of the CD case. They didn't think Dre was going to complete the mixing and stuff in time and was going to proceed without the track.  Since Dre barely made it in time and there was an extra track on the Westcoast CD, they had to throw the We Can Freak It East Coast Remix on the East Coast CD to even it out. 

Corleone Diamonds

NOTHING

One of the worst songs ever.

HighEyeCue

Yeah there were some gems on there. Although my favorite track was on the east coast disc, Game. Wasn’t a fan of a lot of the beats overall and it always felt rushed to when I listen back but definitely some bangers on there

Game was a dope lyrical cut...I'm still wondering why Kurupt couldn't get a Primo or Pete Rock beat for that East Coast Disc...probably the best known producer was Easy Moe Bee who did the track with Buckshot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Game was a dope lyrical cut...I'm still wondering why Kurupt couldn't get a Primo or Pete Rock beat for that East Coast Disc...probably the best known producer was Easy Moe Bee who did the track with Buckshot

That Pete Rock, Deck, and Kurupt joint was a banger and got more play on BET than any Kuruption track other than "We Can Freak It".  Would have been nice if Pete Rock coulda hooked Kurupt up with a joint like that one for the East Coast disc to return the favor.

Corleone Diamonds

"Light It Up" was ill joint

HighEyeCue

That Pete Rock, Deck, and Kurupt joint was a banger and got more play on BET than any Kuruption track other than "We Can Freak It".  Would have been nice if Pete Rock coulda hooked Kurupt up with a joint like that one for the East Coast disc to return the favor.

exactly

"Light It Up" was ill joint

it was...Buckshot and Kurupt 8)