Author Topic: How do you rate Snoop’s skills Post-Doggfather to Pre-Bitch Please era  (Read 553 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Just like I consider Dr Dre’s early Aftermath era to be one of the most fascinating eras in Dre’s career for a myriad of reasons I consider Snoops post-Doggfather and pre-Bitch Please era to be fascinating.

It clear wasn’t the best era of his career but he would prove on tracks like “Hooked” off of Got the Hook Up or “Caught Up” or “Still A G Thang” or even unreleased material he would prove he was still THE MAN and big dawg in rap and nobody could fucc wit him when he was in his zone. 

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Corleone Diamonds

3/5

Now

1/5

HighEyeCue

I agree with the fact that he still had the talent as songs like "Hooked" and "Still A G Thang" proved that Snoop when provided with the right producers for him was as good as ever

he really didn't mesh that well with No Limit production however so that would bring his rating down for me

3/5

Now

1/5

kind of agree with this...havent really been into Snoops music somewhat since BCT but really since Tha Last Meal

Corleone Diamonds

I agree with the fact that he still had the talent as songs like "Hooked" and "Still A G Thang" proved that Snoop when provided with the right producers for him was as good as ever

he really didn't mesh that well with No Limit production however so that would bring his rating down for me

kind of agree with this...havent really been into Snoops music somewhat since BCT but really since Tha Last Meal

TLM was my last snoop album i bought.

the sound pattern was already changing foe the bad i remember one of the guys say: "its not even hip hop" lol

sure it had songs like "yall gon miss me"

HighEyeCue

TLM was my last snoop album i bought.

the sound pattern was already changing foe the bad i remember one of the guys say: "its not even hip hop" lol

sure it had songs like "yall gon miss me"

yeah, he still had the skills but there was a falloff in the quality of music

BCT is probably his best album post Last Meal

• Muthafuckin' Don!

BCT is probably his best album post Last Meal

Yeah, exactly.  I was disappointed in Paid The Cost.  So Last Meal was the last great Snoop solo.  I enjoyed Reincarnated, but that was like a Rasta side project. 

Yeah, that's right he still had the skills and the swagger as well.  He was still gangsta Snoop, he hadn't really became the goofy, playful Snoop yet. 

The first bootleg album I ever copped (other than 2pac) was that Snoop "Fuck Death Row" bootleg which was basically his 3rd project that he had been working on for Death Row, minus the "Midnight Love" cut and a few others mixed in.  "Midnight Love" was dope.  He was still making some intriguing music, they were hyping "When Doggy Dogg Comes... you better answer" the Val Young track was considered for a single and hyped in his Source cover article when he was stranded from Death Row and "Ride On"(Caught Up) was making its rounds.  The period of Snoops career is kind of a novelty... (also check Kurupt and Snoop's second verse, fire!)

His flow is impeccable on this joint..

"...Paper an move
I'm with click on a trip
3 day cruise...
gettin low..
...hoes holler
top dollar with the gold flee collar
Dippin in the blue impala"

Then he flipped that last line for the hook in his lead single for No Limit later.

Another dope cut from that same era was his lead single for Bad Azz album, his flow and skills are all up to par...had just got my license and had a 1,000 dollars worth of speaker/amps and I wasnt doing shit else but bumpin this shit all around after school on $1 a gallon gas

« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 10:17:38 PM by TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96' »

Corleone Diamonds

Yeah, exactly.  I was disappointed in Paid The Cost.  So Last Meal was the last great Snoop solo.  I enjoyed Reincarnated, but that was like a Rasta side project. 

Yeah, that's right he still had the skills and the swagger as well.  He was still gangsta Snoop, he hadn't really became the goofy, playful Snoop yet. 

The first bootleg album I ever copped (other than 2pac) was that Snoop "Fuck Death Row" bootleg which was basically his 3rd project that he had been working on for Death Row, minus the "Midnight Love" cut and a few others mixed in.  "Midnight Love" was dope.  He was still making some intriguing music, they were hyping "When Doggy Dogg Comes... you better answer" the Val Young track was considered for a single and hyped in his Source cover article when he was stranded from Death Row and "Ride On"(Caught Up) was making its rounds.  The period of Snoops career is kind of a novelty... (also check Kurupt and Snoop's second verse, fire!)

His flow is impeccable on this joint..

"...Paper an move
I'm with click on a trip
3 day cruise...
gettin low..
...hoes holler

Then he flipped that last line for the hook in his lead single for No Limit later.

Another dope cut from that same era was his lead single for Bad Azz album, his flow and skills are all up to par...had just got my license and had a 1,000 dollars worth of speaker/amps and I wasnt doing shit else but bumpin this shit all around after school on $1 a gallon gas

disnt know that...just caught it

• Muthafuckin' Don!

disnt know that...just caught it

Yeah that was dope how he flipped that little line from Caught Up into big single for Da Game album

HighEyeCue

Yeah that was dope how he flipped that little line from Caught Up into big single for Da Game album

Da Game could have been a much better album...if he had Meech and Soopafly and whoever else he was working with west coast wise in '98 do most of the beats...then have like a random No Limit joint here and there

but Master P had other plans and we got songs like "Woof"

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Da Game could have been a much better album...if he had Meech and Soopafly and whoever else he was working with west coast wise in '98 do most of the beats...then have like a random No Limit joint here and there

but Master P had other plans and we got songs like "Woof"

Well they were trying to milk the cash cow for everything it was worth.  Did you know that as bad as Da Game album was it actually sold a bit more than Doggfather?

...So at that moment the No Limit formula seemed unstoppable so all they needed was to put Snoop's name on the front of the album and it was a guaranteed winner double platinum.  I wouldn't be surprised if Master P's original plan was all No Limit music and that Mia X joint that was the second single was actually just given to Snoop to be his first single--but Snoop either insisted or proved to P he had a better lead single with Meach's "Still A G Thang".

HighEyeCue

Well they were trying to milk the cash cow for everything it was worth.  Did you know that as bad as Da Game album was it actually sold a bit more than Doggfather?

...So at that moment the No Limit formula seemed unstoppable so all they needed was to put Snoop's name on the front of the album and it was a guaranteed winner double platinum.  I wouldn't be surprised if Master P's original plan was all No Limit music and that Mia X joint that was the second single was actually just given to Snoop to be his first single--but Snoop either insisted or proved to P he had a better lead single with Meach's "Still A G Thang".

yeah it went double platinum pretty quick

No Limit was on fire commercially back in '97-98...it seemed like every issue of The Source they had adds for 3 or 4 new albums

• Muthafuckin' Don!
yeah it went double platinum pretty quick

No Limit was on fire commercially back in '97-98...it seemed like every issue of The Source they had adds for 3 or 4 new albums

And Death Row was on fire in 1996.  And even though I considered Doggfather to be one of my greatest disappointments in life; Da Game album was an even bigger dissapointment. 

(Funny story, I went to a midnight sale, and put the album in and all No Limit Albums put a song to get you hyped first but by the time I got to the end I was so depressed I gave a ride to some random guy on the street in downtown KC I was 16 years old who just flagged my car down at 1:00am and just randmonly let the dude in the car and took him wherever he said "go" because I was so fuccin depressed and dissolutioned he could of just fuccin pushed me out the driver seat and jacked my car in that moment and drove off and I wouldn't have even cared.  Turned out he really did have somewhere he wanted to go so I just drove him for 15 minutes to his destination while still listening to the Game album and dropped him off)

And Doggfather was a far superior album.  Yet Da Game album sold more, that's fuccin crazy

Sccit

snoops skills never changed

what changed was the producers guiding him

• Muthafuckin' Don!
snoops skills never changed

what changed was the producers guiding him

Yeah he's not exactly the type of rapper to do an album like Nas first Lost Tapes album where I think he did every verse and hook and no big name producers

Corleone Diamonds

Yeah he's not exactly the type of rapper to do an album like Nas first Lost Tapes album where I think he did every verse and hook and no big name producers

Nas-Doo Rags (Lost Tapes)

What was the song called by the game on this beat? 4bent aka billboard was on the song too