Author Topic: Questions about the Snoop song "Last Meal"  (Read 290 times)

sweetdudejim

Questions about the Snoop song "Last Meal"
« on: July 13, 2023, 11:00:28 PM »
Hey so for a long while I've really enjoyed the Smokefest World Tour CD that Snoop put out in.....what was it? '98? Like right after his first No Limit album, or am I off base? Regardless, I've found this to be an underrated little album, with "Don't Do the Crime" and "Last Meal" classified as standouts in my book.

But anyways, my real question is, where did this song come from? Is it Death Row era? Or the period just after, same as "Don't Do the Crime" perhaps? I just wonder cuz he does rap, "LP number 3 as you all see" at one point. Was Snoop actively preparing a third album while still on Death Row?

Lastly, can anybody tell me what the samples were used to basically create the song's "chorus"? They go by so quickly that I can never quite pin them down. Can anybody help me on that or any of the other questions?

HighEyeCue

Re: Questions about the Snoop song "Last Meal"
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 06:01:27 AM »
love the Smokefest World Tour CD 8)

don't really have the answers to your questions but as far as Snoop recording a 3rd album on DR I believe it was going to be an EP called Doggumentary and was scheduled to come out sometime in '97

Sccit

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 11:03:36 AM »
love the Smokefest World Tour CD 8)

don't really have the answers to your questions but as far as Snoop recording a 3rd album on DR I believe it was going to be an EP called Doggumentary and was scheduled to come out sometime in '97

yea .. according to some it was even pressed up and i remember certain cats said they even had a copy

not sure how true that is.. but suge was known for shelving things in the final hour (nate dogg debut)

but he’s talking about an LP on this one

Jay_J

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 11:17:13 AM »
I remember a snoop documentary, at the end of video it was written smth like "music from upcoming album last meal"... you guys remember what was that?

Mr Wicked

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • way more karma than posts
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 11:04:40 AM »
"Don't Do The Crime" was recorded in 1998 after snoop got off Death Row. This song infamously started the beef between Snoop & Suge according to Reggie Wright Jr., in the first verse he is dissing Death Row & Suge (even though he doesn't say his name, pretty obvious though). Reggie Wright confronted him in a backstage area of a No Limit video shoot or concert with Travon Lane who alledgly hit Snoop in the face and the incident ended with Snoop, Daz & Soopafly being arrested by cops which they fled to.

As far as "Last Meal", I think it is a song from the Death Row vaults. As mentioned before, Snoop was planning another release called "Doggumentary" after "Tha Doggfather" (hence Snoop naming his 2010 album Doggumentary later). If I remember correctly, it was reported that at first is was supposed to be an album, but at that point snoop was in alot of arguments with the people in charge at DR at that moment, which led to the LP turning into an EP, to the EP not coming out and finally snoop leaving DR.