Author Topic: Dr Dre - Studio Sound Magazine Interview (2001)  (Read 532 times)

The Predator

Dr Dre - Studio Sound Magazine Interview (2001)
« on: March 20, 2024, 12:54:33 AM »
Dre gonna mix Snoopy's new album in April, so i tried to find out how long it takes to him to do that.
I came across this rare Dre's studio interview that i have never seen before...

Read or grab -
https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Studio-Sound/00s/Studio-Sound-2001-09.pdf

(Page 48 - Dre talks about engineering, mixing etc)

Interview answers all your question about Dre's mixing equipment and approach. Simplistic, no outboards, everything takes place on the SSL 4000. Nothing in his approach has changed in 35 years now, except for the change from Studer to Protools around 2002/2003, which to this day was the most audible deterioration to his sound imho. I will also say that this approach was the same for most of your classic Hip Hop albums. Troy Hightower, Tommy Uzzo, Tony Maserati back in the day. Knowing how to make use of the gain staging and processing in the large format console (mainly SSL) and a proper 2inch on the playback side. It's also interesting to know that Dre's 2track wasn't cut to tape but DAT (Panasonic 3800). Today probably loopback into Pro Tools.

The following users thanked this post: F-cisco, bd94s10

AftermathBeats

Re: Dr Dre - Studio Sound Magazine Interview (2001)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 03:20:30 AM »
I think 1 month. For mixing, then the samples are clarified. Missionary will probably be a June release

goodyoung

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 09:19:36 AM »
It takes about 5-6 months to mix the record and clear the samples for Dre

F-cisco

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 10:00:04 AM »
Props for this interview. A lost gem.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 08:03:11 AM »
good work... but this language to me is a bit technical, maybe someone can break it down.

So for example.  So to mix an album takes 6 months?  How long do you think it took him to mix Dogg Food?  It doesn't make sense that it would take that long.

And what secret would he know that someone else wouldn't know?  That's the other part I don't get.  Like Jimmy Iovine saying that the Chronic came through clearer in the speakers than he had ever heard and he didn't know how Dre did that.  Well... if there was some tech he was using to make it sound louder and clearer in the speakers how would Dre know about it and none of the other producer/mixers would know about it?

The only thing I can think of that would make Dre better than someone else is adding extra sounds/instruments.  So... like say he hears a track like "Let's Play House" he adds that little keyboard/flute sound or whatever that comes in right after he says "the Dogg Pound, For the 9-fiva" do do, doooo doo doo

That's all I can think of.  But you got to imagine that he doesn't have access to some secret equipment nobody else has
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

b.laden

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 10:52:40 AM »
when you mix a track , you dont add sounds, melodies , nothing ; its the role of the producers and musicians
at best , you can add effects (reverb, echo, delay etc..)
originally when you mix , you only make an instrument sound louder or less
usually the producer mix the track  .. no need another man

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 11:47:37 AM »
when you mix a track , you dont add sounds, melodies , nothing ; its the role of the producers and musicians
at best , you can add effects (reverb, echo, delay etc..)
originally when you mix , you only make an instrument sound louder or less
usually the producer mix the track  .. no need another man

Then if that's all he's doing is just changing the volume of the instruments that are already there, then how come Jimmy Iovine said he never heard music come through the speakers as clear as it did on the Chronic?  How did Dre know how to do that and no other producers knew how to do that?  What, he has some access to some tech nobody else knows about?

Doesn't make sense.  And of course i'm just speaking as a fan, I don't know the ins and outs of the equipment they use so someone more knowledgeable can explain to me.  I've always been interested from a fans perspective but never had the oppurtunity to have someone show me how all that shit works
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

b.laden

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 12:06:59 PM »
Then if that's all he's doing is just changing the volume of the instruments that are already there, then how come Jimmy Iovine said he never heard music come through the speakers as clear as it did on the Chronic? 

?? its easy to remove the sizzling, crackling on a track ..producers use compressors
i guess jimmy Iovine talked about effects to an instrument . you can use different effects to a guitar , bass , drum machine to sound them clear .  as i said , you can add effects to an instrument but only producers and musicians add sound , melodies etc

Dwax-187

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2024, 07:44:08 PM »
Doc Dre was talking about using foot pedals with keyboards to make new sounds on Jimmy Kimmel the other night.

Brady Watts does a good show with Bass and Bars.  He uses footpedals nonstop, its remarkable, and a 5 string bass.

He does a bunch of videos with west coast vets, but this one is his cover with Dre’s bass lines.  Shit is dope.

https://youtu.be/jjNbvw8DSpY?si=hrQbxeG1C8gjyZFa

b.laden

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2024, 02:44:25 AM »
Doc Dre was talking about using foot pedals with keyboards to make new sounds on Jimmy Kimmel the other night.

Brady Watts does a good show with Bass and Bars.  He uses footpedals nonstop, its remarkable, and a 5 string bass.

He does a bunch of videos with west coast vets, but this one is his cover with Dre’s bass lines.  Shit is dope.

https://youtu.be/jjNbvw8DSpY?si=hrQbxeG1C8gjyZFa
Brandy Watts is a professionnal bassist, he s amazing . Hip hop producers work  with real musicians .
originally footpedals are used to add effects on instruments (distortion , wah wah , reverb etc..)
but  with the new technology  , footpedals record chords, melodies and you can play over

Fresh Bone

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2024, 10:00:27 AM »
Then if that's all he's doing is just changing the volume of the instruments that are already there, then how come Jimmy Iovine said he never heard music come through the speakers as clear as it did on the Chronic?  How did Dre know how to do that and no other producers knew how to do that?  What, he has some access to some tech nobody else knows about?

Doesn't make sense.  And of course i'm just speaking as a fan, I don't know the ins and outs of the equipment they use so someone more knowledgeable can explain to me.  I've always been interested from a fans perspective but never had the oppurtunity to have someone show me how all that shit works

A good example of Dr. Dre's mixing skills are very obvious if you listen to the rough/original/demo tracks that he mixed.

Listen to Respect by Tha Dogg Pound before Dre mixed it;

https://youtu.be/ANdEpiidM9M?si=t8oqEL8IZPLk5ucI