Author Topic: Above the Rim at 30: Warren G and More on Making Hip-Hop’s Best Film Soundtrack  (Read 581 times)

Mat

Okay now this shit is pissing me off.. it's bad enough the album I bought didn't have "Pain" on it which is a classic 2pac joint..

...now I find there was another banger that was like a leftover single B Side joint for the Regulators single but also attributed as being part of the Above the Rim soundtrack, well I never heard this banger until today..

This is 2pac and Treach why did they leave these two 2pac songs off the Soundtrack when 2pac is a star rapper and he's in the movie it doesn't make any sense that these songs wouldn't be there.

So I bought the album from Wal-Mart so it was also missing "Dogg Pound 4 Life".  So check this out... I was missing

"Pain"
"Dogg Pound 4 Life"
2pac and Treach joint

https://youtu.be/BFP3nIDg8hE?si=w0oR3uyAxi845RRS

this is one of the singles i had back in the day bro was super had to track down

01 – Warren G. & Nate Dogg – Regulate
02 – 2Pac feat. Strech – Pain
03 – Lord G. – Mi Monie Rite
04 – 2Pac & Treach & Riddler – Loyal to the Game

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
this is one of the singles i had back in the day bro was super had to track down

01 – Warren G. & Nate Dogg – Regulate
02 – 2Pac feat. Strech – Pain
03 – Lord G. – Mi Monie Rite
04 – 2Pac & Treach & Riddler – Loyal to the Game

Bangin!! Wish I had came across that in stores at that rhyme (time) would of been a real find, gem—but I probably would have missed it because I was like 12 years old and I would have thought, "well I already have Regulate on Above the Rim and G Funk Era why would a buy the single" which is the same thing I thought when I saw the maxi single for "How Do You Want It' and didn't actually hear "Hit Um Up" for the first time until September that year

That's damn near the level of the that 2pac Maxi Single that went double platinum and had...

"How Do You Want It"
"California Love" (Mad Max version)
"Hit Em Up"

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Mat

Bangin!! Wish I had came across that in stores at that rhyme (time) would of been a real find, gem—but I probably would have missed it because I was like 12 years old and I would have thought, "well I already have Regulate on Above the Rim and G Funk Era why would a buy the single" which is the same thing I thought when I saw the maxi single for "How Do You Want It' and didn't actually hear "Hit Um Up" for the first time until September that year

That's damn near the level of the that 2pac Maxi Single that went double platinum and had...

"How Do You Want It"
"California Love" (Mad Max version)
"Hit Em Up"
Man i had both bro but the Regulate Maxi Single was harder to fin than the How Do you Want It Maxi Single i loved both at the time when i first saw Above the Rim i thought here can i find Pain and the others not on the Soundtracck

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Man i had both bro but the Regulate Maxi Single was harder to fin than the How Do you Want It Maxi Single i loved both at the time when i first saw Above the Rim i thought here can i find Pain and the others not on the Soundtracck

yeah you had to dig for that Regulate Maxi Single it was a true gem if you caught it in 94

Mat

yeah you had to dig for that Regulate Maxi Single it was a true gem if you caught it in 94
I real Gem Indeed Yeah I looked in every CD Store and finally found it for 17 dollars

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I real Gem Indeed Yeah I looked in every CD Store and finally found it for 17 dollars

holy shit mate... a single selling for 17 dollars???

Even Pac's only sold for $6.99 and it was labelled MAXI SINGLE

Mat

holy shit mate... a single selling for 17 dollars???

Even Pac's only sold for $6.99 and it was labelled MAXI SINGLE

Yeah found it at this rare CD Store most of their rare albums went for 32 dollars some rare maxi singles went from 14.99-17 dollars

I was happy that How do you Want it single was everywhere I looked lol

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Yeah found it at this rare CD Store most of their rare albums went for 32 dollars some rare maxi singles went from 14.99-17 dollars

I was happy that How do you Want it single was everywhere I looked lol

Word

teecee

I had the tape back in the day…it had the three bonus songs including my favourite Pac song of all time- Pain.

So many good songs from the movie that didn’t make the cut, including an early version of Just Dogging that was, at the time, titled Mobbin with the Pound . (The version released on Sunset Park was much better )

and YZ- The Ghettos Been Good To Me 

ATR may not be as good as MWTC, but combined with the movie I liked it better (same with Menace II Society)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I had the tape back in the day…it had the three bonus songs including my favourite Pac song of all time- Pain.

So many good songs from the movie that didn’t make the cut, including an early version of Just Dogging that was, at the time, titled Mobbin with the Pound . (The version released on Sunset Park was much better )

and YZ- The Ghettos Been Good To Me 

ATR may not be as good as MWTC, but combined with the movie I liked it better (same with Menace II Society)

that's crazy because I rewatched the movie and noticed "Just Doggin" in it, which is odd because it was 2 years later when that surfaced on Sunset Park.  Which makes you wonder why they didn't put it on Dogg Food

damn.. and yet another gem !!  That YZ joint is crazy.  I also caught that in the movie.  Was he the first to coin that phrase, "I earn my respect in the street, the ghetto been good to me.. true and living.." because Too Short also used it in his 96 anthem "Gettin It"

Mat

that's crazy because I rewatched the movie and noticed "Just Doggin" in it, which is odd because it was 2 years later when that surfaced on Sunset Park.  Which makes you wonder why they didn't put it on Dogg Food

damn.. and yet another gem !!  That YZ joint is crazy.  I also caught that in the movie.  Was he the first to coin that phrase, "I earn my respect in the street, the ghetto been good to me.. true and living.." because Too Short also used it in his 96 anthem "Gettin It"
yeah that's where I first heard just doggin in the movie but I was like this sounds a bit diffrent

Fresh Bone

yeah and did they even have a reason for not just putting all these joints on the retail cd and just having the same tracks on all releases

Back in the days, a lot of albums would have cassette only songs as they could hold 90 minutes of songs while CDs only allowed 80 minutes.

Also, it was a ploy to sell more singles. It might have also been that the song didn't get cleared for a sample in time for the soundtrack so would be released on a later single, like Pain on the Regulate single.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Back in the days, a lot of albums would have cassette only songs as they could hold 90 minutes of songs while CDs only allowed 80 minutes.

Also, it was a ploy to sell more singles. It might have also been that the song didn't get cleared for a sample in time for the soundtrack so would be released on a later single, like Pain on the Regulate single.

never knew that about the length... too bad I didn't buy the cassette back in the day.  Still a great summer though.  G Funk Era and Above the Rim.  Back in those days before jobs and a driving, you were lucky to get two albums in a summer.  Those were the only two albums I got and I struck gold.