Author Topic: U.S. football big surprise to English soccer star  (Read 464 times)

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
Re:U.S. football big surprise to English soccer star
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2003, 08:14:00 AM »
exactly i played football in h.s and i was fullback .The pads are a pain in the ass and the helmut is heavy. it's alot harder to run in those pads.

TheSheriff

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2003, 09:02:40 AM »
I've always played cornerback or wr. Like they're all saying, it's damn hard to run in pads, so without the pads, your average wr is probably as fast as most soccer players. They're the only ones who could really "make it" in a soccer team. Them, and cornerbacks, and maybe running backs (the ricky william type of rb)

.:DayGoStyLz:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2003, 09:41:09 PM »
I've always played cornerback or wr. Like they're all saying, it's damn hard to run in pads, so without the pads, your average wr is probably as fast as most soccer players. They're the only ones who could really "make it" in a soccer team. Them, and cornerbacks, and maybe running backs (the ricky william type of rb)

^^true...

plus, remember he was saying Ricky Williams blew him away in the strait-away...Williams is far from the fastest player in the NFL though, and probably not even the fastest player on his team.

Sol

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2003, 01:45:15 PM »

^^true...

plus, remember he was saying Ricky Williams blew him away in the strait-away...Williams is far from the fastest player in the NFL though, and probably not even the fastest player on his team.

James is a goalkeeper, he doesnt need to have great speed so any attacking NFL players should beat him easily in a sprint.
im surprised he couldnt kick the ball though.

The view in England of American Football is that it is a very boring game played by fat, overweight people. This of course is a very ignorant view, although there is some truth in it.
i remember in the last super bowl a clip was shown on the TV here many times of a really fat player hardly being able to run, chasing a guy down the line. How this guy was able to make it in a professional sport i will never understand.
Most of the players though are great athletes.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2003, 03:25:15 AM »

^^true...

James is a goalkeeper, he doesnt need to have great speed so any attacking NFL players should beat him easily in a sprint.
im surprised he couldnt kick the ball though.

The view in England of American Football is that it is a very boring game played by fat, overweight people. This of course is a very ignorant view, although there is some truth in it.
i remember in the last super bowl a clip was shown on the TV here many times of a really fat player hardly being able to run, chasing a guy down the line. How this guy was able to make it in a professional sport i will never understand.
Most of the players though are great athletes.

you know what though, youd be surprised how FAST some of those "fat guys" are. Alot of them, probably being able to run a 40 faster then a LOT of professional soccer players.

Al Pacino JR

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2003, 11:59:03 AM »
I dont think so, I guess that the Football playas cant run as fast as soccer playa (exept goalkeeper as the don t need to run), and that the Foot players are not able to run as long soccer playa
But the 2 gamez are cool !
I love Oakland's Raider and San Francisco 49ers ;D

ITW [the irish boy]

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2003, 03:12:21 PM »
I dont think any soccer player would make it in american football or vice versa. Learning to play soccer takes years to master and Im sure its the same with american football.
I think Gaelic footballers, or more particularly rugby players would have no problem with the transition because they play with the ball in their hands and have similar training regimes and rugby has the fucked ball too. Ronan O Gara, Irelands number 10 in rugby was being courted by an amer.football team for 12million. He would have no problem kicking but he didnt like the fact he couldnt play for the whole game.
Soccer is a TOTALLY different sport, like saying who's a better runner a sprinter or a marathon runner, theres no answer. I play soccer and gaelic, and Id have the fitness for rugby, but Id get killed on the field coz I wouldnt know how to "play" the game, in every sense of the word.

As for David James.Hahaha. Good article though.
SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW
BUT DO THEY KNOW TO THINK
THINK ABOUT THINKING
BEFORE THEY KNOW NOTHING
DID THEY KNOW SOMETHING
LETS THINK

4 KiN L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Me Beamer...
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2003, 04:06:44 PM »
surely the fucker has played rugby before in his life...or is not the same as kickin a rugby ball!?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2003, 10:48:01 PM »
I dont think any soccer player would make it in american football or vice versa. Learning to play soccer takes years to master and Im sure its the same with american football.
I think Gaelic footballers, or more particularly rugby players would have no problem with the transition because they play with the ball in their hands and have similar training regimes and rugby has the fucked ball too. Ronan O Gara, Irelands number 10 in rugby was being courted by an amer.football team for 12million. He would have no problem kicking but he didnt like the fact he couldnt play for the whole game.
Soccer is a TOTALLY different sport, like saying who's a better runner a sprinter or a marathon runner, theres no answer. I play soccer and gaelic, and Id have the fitness for rugby, but Id get killed on the field coz I wouldnt know how to "play" the game, in every sense of the word.

As for David James.Hahaha. Good article though.

It would be hard for a Rugby player to adjust also. But, they would DEFINETELY adjust easier then a soccer player. Thing with American football, every position on the field is VERY different. So the transition from Rugby, would very much depend on what position they would move to in American football. I would look at most Rugby Players as a fullback, or maybe a Linebacker. But they wouldnt be fast enough for reciever or cornerback (remember, a lot of these guys are at the level of world class sprinters). And probably not big enough to play O-line or D-line. Im sure some could do it, but it wouldnt be easy at all. Jus like going over to those sports, these guys usually play Football all their lives to make it to the NFL. Darren Bennet of the Chargers used to play Rugby in Australia...and all he does is punt the ball, n get the fuk off the field lol.