Author Topic: So...how many of yall were fans of Rakim before...  (Read 789 times)

West Coast Veteran

Re:So...how many of yall were fans of Rakim before...
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2003, 10:05:46 PM »
My uncle (32) has been a huge Rakim follower since Ra's debut. I heard all his albums when I was young. Never was a huge fan. I always liked KRS and Chuck D the best from that era.

Suga Foot

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2003, 10:14:13 PM »
I had always read the source, so I knew he was regarded as #1.  The first time I really checked for him was when he made his "comeback" on the hoodlum soundtrack with mobb deep.  Then I got the 18th letter when it came out, but I wasn't really feelin it.  He had dope lyrics, but weak beats.  So when he signed to aftermath, I was pretty effin excited.

Dedicato

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • AFTERMATH MUSIC
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2003, 11:24:15 PM »
1991/92

Tha_Reverend

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2003, 12:11:02 AM »
ok....seems like I'ma be the only one that's honest.  lol.  nah, I never was into him before this.  BUT I am really hyped for this album comin out now cuase I have heard what he can do and I'm a sucker for good production.  I know I'll get both from this release.  I think it don't really matter.  if you into him now or before.  just cuase you weren't into him before, dosen't mean you can't get into him now. Alot of peeps forgot who Dre was before 2001 dropped. (I'm talkin about the music industry)  Alot of peeps weren't fans of Em till he was with Dre.  Same with 50.  alot of peeps wasn't into pac till deathrow.  some didn't know of Xzibit till Bitch Please.  Just like many peeps around the world are gonna be like WTF with this 213 record.  just cuase they don't know the history on the group, does that mean they don't have the right to buy it? no. so it really don't matter.  you have the right to like any body you want, even if your weren't down with them since day one.  Dre has that power to boost your hype.  

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2003, 01:07:47 AM »
Since "Paid In Full"

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2003, 01:37:40 AM »
I knew Rakim because all of his Paid in Full shit was on the radio. I was a fan, I liked his work. I used to quote him, like I came in the door, you know, the common stuff. After that, I kinda lost track, because i was all about the west, and east coast wasn't for me. I liked Master Ace, and Tribe and Gangstarr out the east, but that's about it. Rakim was still nice to me, then I noticed how people ranked him, and so i bought the Master. Didn't like it, but I did also get his greatest hits. I knew all the damn songs, as I've heard him for so long. The Paid in Full shit I knew backwards and forwards, because I recorded them on my tape when it was on the radio and I memorized the songs. The rest, we'll just say gangsta rap took over my life. But hey, when got with Dre, by that time i knew most his songs, I didn't check up on him because of Dre, but his Source rankings in 1998.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2003, 12:43:26 PM »
Since "When I B On The Mic", I taped that song off the radio and had it on like constant rotation for like four weeks until I bought the album.

Immortal

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2003, 12:55:19 PM »
i heard of rakim in 2001-2002 and ever since then, ive been hearing his stuff till today, and i've become a fan.

peace
"Tha Immortality of my Fame is the measure of others torture..."--GZA

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2003, 01:10:17 PM »
Since "Guess Who's Back" and The 18th Letter.  I love that album, 9/10.  I didn't get into hip-hop until The Chronic dropped so I pretty much missed the Eric B. & Rakim days.  But I caught up, I've got everything now.  ;D
Basically the same as me i missed the whole paid in full thang

S.G.V.

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2003, 09:55:12 PM »
I was a fan of Eric B. and Rakim then I got Rakim's solos...my favorite song is Microphone fiend.... ;D
::)
foo...ur 16...that means u were born 87...lmao...how could u have been an eric b and rakim fan?

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2003, 10:44:43 AM »

for some reason i think some of you are not telling the truth :-X

yea...some of em seem to be lyin...but im not gonna call em out...

since like 94. without dre half these fools wouldn't know who ra is..which is a fucking shame..
i was never a ra fan...im still not...i like some eric b and rakim shit...his solos were aight...but i always liked krs and g rap better...they brought more to the table i think...but ur right...it is a shame...ra been out since the 80s...and just finally hes gettin exposure and acknowledged...

there is a few people who r missin from this thread...i wonder why....(cough) bandwagoners (cough)
same here..i will always consider g rap the king of ny. 3 classic albums..never showed any signs of even slightly falling off..and just released his first mediocore album in 15+ years thanks to production..no one else is fucking with him except maybe the teacher..
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

S.G.V.

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2003, 12:30:05 PM »

same here..i will always consider g rap the king of ny. 3 classic albums..never showed any signs of even slightly falling off..and just released his first mediocore album in 15+ years thanks to production..no one else is fucking with him except maybe the teacher..
KRS would take him out IMO....but G Rap is right there behind him...he and KRS are the blueprint for every east coast gangsta...they were talkin street shit...before it was the norm...not to mention...G Raps multi style is bein abused by every rapper out now...anyone who would deny G Raps status doesnt know hip hop....

Skindiana bon3z

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2003, 12:32:24 PM »
I was a fan of Eric B. and Rakim then I got Rakim's solos...my favorite song is Microphone fiend.... ;D
::)
foo...ur 16...that means u were born 87...lmao...how could u have been an eric b and rakim fan?

Is it possible I heard of them a few years back, then I bought the albums?

S.G.V.

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2003, 12:40:17 PM »

haha...

Skindiana bon3z

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2003, 12:41:31 PM »

haha...

Yeah, that shit was really funny...here let me laugh with you hahahahahaha