Author Topic: Yugoslavia eliminated the US from medal contention  (Read 252 times)

lbc213

Yugoslavia eliminated the US from medal contention
« on: September 06, 2002, 01:40:40 AM »
Indianapolis, Sept. 5 - The identity of the best basketball team in the world remains to be seen. What is certain is that particular honor no longer belongs to the United States.

A team that had never lost in international competition with NBA players on the roster did so for the second time in two nights, blowing a 10-point lead in the final 6 minutes to lose 81-78 to Yugoslavia in the quarterfinals of the World Basketball Championship at Conseco Fieldhouse on Thursday night.

The U.S., its 58-game winning streak replaced by a two-game losing streak - the first in any international competition since the 1990 WBC - was thus knocked out of medal contention. The next game, in the classification round for places five through eight, will come against Puerto Rico at 8 p.m. Friday.

Another byproduct of the loss is the U.S. must qualify for a spot in the Olympics through the Panamerican Qualifying Tournament in July 2003.

Yugoslavia, which looked troubled with two early losses in the tournament, moves into the semifinals against New Zealand on Saturday at 3:30 p.m., with an eye on defending the championship it won in 1998, when the U.S. team was stocked with college and CBA players because of the NBA lockout.

"We knew after a game like that against Argentina last night (the first U.S. loss), we had to have the same kind of intensity and we did," said Svetislav Pesic, Yugoslavia's fiery head coach. "We beat a very complete, good basketball team."

It wasn't the best the United States could offer, however, because the NBA's premier stars, names like Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Allen Iverson and Michael Jordan, all declined to participate. The team that was constructed did not begin practice until mid-August and played just two exhibition games as warmups. The lack of cohesion was a fatal flaw against both Argentina and Yugoslavia, national teams that go through much more extensive preparation.

Nonetheless, that is a debate coach George Karl would not be drawn into, when asked if the team selection process needed to be revised.

"It's hard to answer that question right now," Karl said. "I like my team. Sure, we didn't have the edge or the cleverness a team would have with more time to prepare. But we still had opportunities to win the basketball game. That's something to talk with USA Basketball about a month from now, if they want to talk about it.

"Last night was much more discouraging. Tonight, we could walk off the court proud. As a coach, all you can ask is for your players to play hard and for all of the minutes of this tournament, we've played pretty damn hard."

Hard play, however didn't translate into consistently good play. This loss may have been even more telling than the first, because there was no element of surprise, no chance the U.S. would be caught napping. This was a brawl from the outset and Yugoslavia landed more punches.

"It was a good game to be a part of, two teams going at it, giving their all," said Michael Finley. "Unfortunately, we came out on the short end of the stick."

Yugoslavia led much of the first half but the U.S. used a pair of 9-point runs in the third quarter to take a 56-46 lead. A pair of 3-pointers from Peja Stojakovic helped Yugoslavia close to 61-59, but the U.S. scored eight unanswered points to rebuild a double-digit lead with 6:15 remaining.

Gurovic then changed the face of the game with a pair of 3-pointers that started the Yugoslavia comeback. He added another with 56.9 seconds left to make it 77-73.

"Of course I didn't think the game was over," Gurovic said. "I believed in my ability to make those shots. I'm happy I was able to get hot in this game, because it was a good time for that to happen."

Sacramento Kings teammates Stojakovic and Vlade Divac tortured the U.S., combining for 36 points. Divac was the best big man on the floor with 16 points and 11 rebounds. Gurovic scored 15, adding seven rebounds. Yugoslavia dominated the boards, 40-29, outscoring the U.S. 19-4 on second-chance points.

The U.S. was led by Andre Miller and Paul Pierce with 19 points each and Finley with 12. Poor free-throw shooting was again an issue. After missing 12 in the loss to Argentina, the U.S. missed nine more against Yugoslavia - including all five in the fourth quarter, four by Jermaine O'Neal alone.

"I'm not sure if it's the end of an era as much as it's a tremendous celebration of basketball," Karl said. "You're seeing the rest of the world playing better basketball and more competitive basketball. In a strange way, that's something the U.S. can be proud of."

Maybe so, but that is salve unlikely to heal the open wound in the pride of USA Basketball.

Perhaps unwittingly, Pesic offered the most damning comment of all.

"The four teams that will play for the championship," he said, "are the best four teams."

There is little substance for counterpoint.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

E. J. Rizo

Re: Yugoslavia eliminated the US from medal conten
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2002, 09:57:14 AM »
maybe the US will get checked with this second loss!!! like i said im glad they lost maybe now the real players will know whats up and take this serious and balll everyone up......you know us americans are lazy as hell but when we are being punked everyone wants to help fight back and i hope thats what these NBA stars do.

lbc213

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2002, 11:21:42 AM »
maybe the US will get checked with this second loss!!! like i said im glad they lost maybe now the real players will know whats up and take this serious and balll everyone up......you know us americans are lazy as hell but when we are being punked everyone wants to help fight back and i hope thats what these NBA stars do.

Yup Yup

-Oneal
-Jordan
-Bryant
-Carter
-Duncan
-Garnett
-Kidd
-Sprewell
-Payton
-Webber
-Bibby

Would have been much better  :-/

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2002, 12:26:52 PM »

I want to send a "FUCK YOU" to all the new school of Basketball player's....lol
That's what ya wack fuck's get for thinkin' your fucken a six pack of Jordan's....lol

That's a wake up call for anyone who is involved in organizing a team...Danm!!! The U.S.A. lose's a Basketball game to Argentina...whoa!!!!
Then Yougoslovia......expected

I bet they'll cream us in another sport to as well....I wonder which one...lol ("Real" Football to the dumb dumb's...)

Plain & Simple the fllash & glitz of trying to be Baby Jordan's & ball hog's will always lose to the fundamental's.

I'm staring to belive all the O.G. team's of the 50's & 60's would have stoped a fucken mud hole in all the present team's.

Peace
Hatesrats 2oo2

lbc213

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2002, 01:13:54 PM »

Yup Yup

-Oneal
-Jordan
-Bryant
-Carter
-Duncan