Author Topic: Klashnekoff Interview (One of the dopest from the UK Hiphop scene.)  (Read 60 times)

Dj Eskimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • <iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/insertgamer
 Ricochet Klashnekoff Interview
interview 0113 added 10.08.02 words Riz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Black Russian, The Angel Of Death, Son Of Nia are just some of the names you may have heard Ricochet Klashnekoff being referred to as. He is a man of many names, verses, feelings and opinion s. He has stormed into UK Hip Hop and has teamed up with some of the best known hedz in the UK scene so we felt it only right that UKHH.com catch up with the RK and hit him with a few questions, UKHH.com style.

So Ricochet Klashnekoff, it's a bit of a mouth full, what's the idea behind it?

Ricochet Klashnekoff, em basically the Ricochet represents you don't know where the fuck I am coming from, what angle I am coming from, d'ya unastand? I'm all over the place, some people try to box me and say I'm on some Reggae/Ragga tip, d'ya know what I mean? Next thing you know, I'm on some meditation tip, d'ya know what I mean? and that's Ricochet coming at you all different angles. The Klashnekoff represents freedom, if you look around most third world countries, most poor countries, talk doesn't do it for them, d'ya understand? In political terms, yeh? So they draw for their Klashnekoff, and through the Klashnekoff they find freedom and likewise through Klashnekoff I speak freedom, ya get me? I'm a freedom fighter, So to speak.

Is it true you are indeed African/Russian?

Nah that's no actually true, even though technically we are all African but erm no. I was born over here and my parents are Jamaican.

Your release Dago Mentality brought you a lot of attention, what's the vibe behind that then?

Dago mentality is like a multitude of feelings, d'ya understand? Its just a bag of emotions and its not kind about one thing its about a lot of things, observations, but at the same time its about like erm, you know coming from inside me as well, d'ya know what I mean? Its all angles, what I see, what I feel, d'ya understand? What's going on etc..

You did a track with Jehst Night Breed on his Alcoholic Author 12", how did that come about?

Well Jehst and Kyza are in my crew Terra Firma, but before all of that, before the whole crew thing, I heard of Jehst through Champions of Nature and obviously he heard of me through Dago Mentality and we linked through Lewis Parker, obviously I am feeling Jehst to the max ya get me, so it's a mutual thing, I knew one day I would have to work with him and then he had this track Nightbreed and he wanted me and Kyza on it and the rest is history.

You have been known to be a bit of a deep thinker, what is mainly on your mind these days as a concern for you?

Do you know what? This is deep, I was watching Sport Relief the other day, chilling with my sons and they were just showing various shots of different countries, poor countries where there was children of nine years of age, you know they were building bricks, that's their job… to make bricks! Children of the age of five digging gullies and holes and tings for their families and children, like girls of seven in India sleeping on the floor as adults just walk past her and ten year old kids in India who make money by picking up old fruit off the floor and selling it! And that shit just fucked me up and that's what's on my mind right about now, and appreciating life and appreciating what I got and always reminding myself that I might have it hard but there's someone out there that has it ten times harder.

How do you feel the UK Music Media is doing these days supporting the homegrown?

It's going real well, I am feeling the whole vibe, ya get me? One thing I would say is that I think a lot of reviewers are being too nice, that's what I think, I think they some of them, certain tracks, they know they are shit, yeh but they will do their best to shine the tune in a positive light, which is kind of cool, cos its constructive or whatever and if you aint got nothing good to say then don't say anything at all I suppose but, certain tunes, we all know they are shit yeh? and the guy will hype the tune up to the max and make it seem like it's the best thing since sliced bread. That's the only thing, I think there's a bit too much love, people are trying to be too nice sometimes d'ya know what I mean? But at the same time definitely feeling the UK vibe and the whole UK media, it's stepped the fuck up!

'.. .certain tunes, we all know they are shit yeh? and the guy will hype the tune up to the max...'

Who inspires you at the moment to get the right thoughts when you are writing lyrics?

Who inspires me man? (RK ponders through his thoughts) I don't know, it's hard to answer that question…. One more time please…(the question is repeated) I cant answer that, I don't even understand where they come from, d'ya understand, its not even inspiration, its vibes, certain times I just write and it flows through me, ya get me? Most writers will know what I am talking about, certain times you write a lyric and you don't know where the fuck it came from, ya understand? There was no premeditated thought behind it, its almost like a divine sort of thing, that sounds kinda deep I know, but its real.

Who do you look up to in the UK?

People likes Roots Manuva, A-Cyde, cos they are hard workers. Most people though, most people who are putting in work, the obvious people… Task Force, you know what I mean? But I respect anyone who will get off their arse and make a move, d'ya understand? There are certain people on the scene I don't think they are all that good yeh but, the fact that they are actually doing it means a lot cos there is bear people with bear talent and all they talk about is how good they are but they aint taking it no further than that. So I respect anyone who gets off their arse and doing something with themselves.

What crews do you check for outside of London?

Moorish Delta, MSI Asylum, oh Out Da fuckin Ville obviously, a few of them escape me at the moment (he hums a tune to himself to illustrate), Phi Life Cypher as well. There's more but I can't remember them at the moment.

Do you think the UK will continue to shoot itself in the foot or can you see light at the end of the tunnel?

Well, I can only speak personally for me, but I can see a whole heap of light at the end of the tunnel right about now I must admit. As long as people keep working and making moves then its an action/reaction thing, thing will happen, you have to keep it consistent, that's all. And people need to get off the attitude of this hobby, "Oh it's a Hip Hop hobby" sort of thing and people need to understand you need to take it on a serious level and turn it into a work thing, once people take that sort of attitude towards it then things will continue to grow.

Tell us a bit about where you are from and who you run with?

I just moved out of Hackney, I always find myself saying I'm from Hackney man, that's where I grew. I run with Terra Firma, which is a whole load of fucking people Kyza Smirnoff, Skribbla, Diamond Ruff, Caramac, Lewis Parker, Labyrinth, Jehst, Friskee, Jam and a whole loada other man, ya get me? And em yeh, that's who I roll with.

What can we expect from you in the future?

Don't expect nothing. Expect the unexpected.

Any shouts?

Well first and foremost, obviously, Big up UKHH.com for giving me the opportunity to speak, you know what I am saying? Mister Riz, Big up yourself, The Kemet family, putting in mad work and supporting me ya get me? Holding out for me right about now, shout to the whole Terra Firma clique, 21 Gun Salute, 12 Stone, Big up MUD Fam, Sterling, 57th and all the mans dem, later.

Big ups to Ricochet Klashnekoff.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/insertgamertaghere.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>
http://www.myspace.com

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re:Klashnekoff Interview (One of the dopest from the UK Hiphop scene.)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2003, 01:26:41 PM »
props, the cats sick, his joint "its murda" i think its called it sick, so is the vid

peace

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
Re:Klashnekoff Interview (One of the dopest from the UK Hiphop scene.)
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 10:10:35 AM »
I haven't heard a song yet but I DO have heard the name a lot in a positive way  ;)