Author Topic: Best Beat Of All Time Tournament  (Read 618 times)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Best Beat Of All Time Tournament
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2004, 09:29:20 AM »
if some of y'all are wondering why i didn't include any east coast beats.........i'm sorry but over sampling james brown isn't art

like how many east coast rap songs have u heard in ur life? 2? 1?

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2004, 12:57:47 PM »
if some of y'all are wondering why i didn't include any east coast beats.........i'm sorry but over sampling james brown isn't art

What kind of retarded statement is that?  Is it a joke?

Thats what I was thinking. If you're going by that then I could quite easily say that over sampling parliament and zapp isn't art for west coast beats.

Code Blue

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2004, 05:41:02 PM »
Luniz - I Got 5 On It

Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Part II

Eminem and Dre - Guilty Conscience

2pac and Dre - California Love

Biggie and Puffy - Victory

topdogg187

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2004, 11:24:40 PM »
2pac and Dre - California Love
Snoop Dogg - Gin and Juice
Biggie - Juicy
Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg - Nuthin But A G' Thang
Ice Cube - Ghetto Vet

NeoSoul

• 'G'
  • Minutes To Midnight
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2004, 12:24:24 AM »
eh i cbf looking at all the credits it was dre's project neway

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2004, 12:30:48 AM »

What kind of retarded statement is that?  Is it a joke?

Thats what I was thinking. If you're going by that then I could quite easily say that over sampling parliament and zapp isn't art for west coast beats.

and if you did say that, i'd say you were right.

and if you notice just about ever song i put up there is an original composition orif they use any kind of sample it's a small sample or a vocal one.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 12:32:13 AM by Don Jacob Corleone »

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2004, 12:37:37 AM »

like how many east coast rap songs have u heard in ur life? 2? 1?

actually i can turn this one back around on you.....how many james brown songs have you heard!? do yourself a favor listen to some more james brown then relisten to any east coast or basic produced rap jam and you'll notice every drum loop is modeled after a james brown one..... the cliche rap drum beat is a drum riff from a 63' james brown song.   yes a lot of west coast artists over sampled funk music but from my expert ears, at least they layed  some kind of original composition over it. or molded something around it.

the west coast is to beats as the east coast is to lyracists

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2004, 05:21:26 AM »
I'm not a big James Brown fan, but it's not like i ain't heard any song by him. When you said 'sampling' i didn't think about drum riffs tho, but about vocal and melodic samples which would have made your statement ridiculous. R&B, Funk and Soul were all very influential to hiphop and if you think there's one certain drum riff that's cool but if you wanna reduce east coast hiphop to sampling the sound of its musical roots you can't reduce it to James Brown. Plus a hiphop beat consists of much more than a drum loop. And like you said yourself, west coast stuff is more funk-based but it lives off older stuff too. And IMO east coast artists 'lay original compositions' over their sampled musical structures too

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2004, 01:45:55 PM »
I'm not a big James Brown fan, but it's not like i ain't heard any song by him. When you said 'sampling' i didn't think about drum riffs tho, but about vocal and melodic samples which would have made your statement ridiculous. R&B, Funk and Soul were all very influential to hiphop and if you think there's one certain drum riff that's cool but if you wanna reduce east coast hiphop to sampling the sound of its musical roots you can't reduce it to James Brown. Plus a hiphop beat consists of much more than a drum loop. And like you said yourself, west coast stuff is more funk-based but it lives off older stuff too. And IMO east coast artists 'lay original compositions' over their sampled musical structures too

Exactly, there is more to hiphop than just the drums, and most of the time this is all producers sample from James Brown. They then build the tracks over the drum beat, in the same way as west coast producers build the rest of the beat around the funk sample they have used.

VOTING FOR THIS STAGE CLOSED!!

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2004, 02:35:36 PM »
This is for the "Best Beat" not the most original music or best production job.  
I didn't check the sample for "T.R.O.Y." but I'm pretty sure those horns are just lifted and I don't care where he got it from, it's still some amazing music.
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2004, 02:42:08 PM »
This is for the "Best Beat" not the most original music or best production job.  
I didn't check the sample for "T.R.O.Y." but I'm pretty sure those horns are just lifted and I don't care where he got it from, it's still some amazing music.

Yeah the horns were lifted, but so what, as you said its still some amazing music.

I'll put up the group stage voting sometime tonight or tomoz by the way.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2004, 11:52:02 PM »

listen to any hip hop record from 85-92 . it is WELL KNOWN how cliche it was to sample james brown. not just his drum licks but his horn section, strings, voice ect. it also spilled over into the mid 90's......west coast artist i give a lil more leeway cuz most of their beats are more original.

ChinCheck

• Lil Geezy
  • "Genius at the guitar"
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2004, 01:41:43 AM »
Raekwon - Ice Craem (RZA)
Dr. Dre - Still D.R.E.(Dr.Dre & Scott Storch)
The Roots - Seed 2.0 (I Thought ?uestlove)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2004, 08:05:53 AM »
listen to any hip hop record from 85-92 . it is WELL KNOWN how cliche it was to sample james brown. not just his drum licks but his horn section, strings, voice ect. it also spilled over into the mid 90's......west coast artist i give a lil more leeway cuz most of their beats are more original.

I KNOW WELL how cliché that is and i never said Brown wasn't sampled alot, including melodic and vocal samples. But like you just said yourself you brought up a cliché and just stated every east coast hiphop beat is like that. Far as I know I did not list any beat sampling more of James Brown than maybe a drum riff or a certain basic pattern which would be nothing without the producer's 'original composition' over it. hiphop was always based on 'recycling' old material and turnin it into new shit and if you don't like that you don't have to listen to it. But your point always seemed to be w/c hiphop bein more original than e/c hiphop despite sampling just as much, only different material. And i really don't see what that point's supposed to be backed up by. Of course Brown is overused, but not by every e/c producer for every song