Author Topic: 5 Reasons why Barbershop 2 Is a good movie  (Read 283 times)

Trauma-san

5 Reasons why Barbershop 2 Is a good movie
« on: February 11, 2004, 09:32:42 PM »
I thought this was gonna be so much bullshit when I heard about it, because Friday 2 and 3 sucked.  Anyways, I saw it this weekend, and it's probably better than the first Barbershop.  I dunno who he had write it, but they did a good job.  5 reasons why you should watch it

1. In the movie, Ice Cube plays a business owner, is a black man, is married to a black wife, who he gets along with fine, and they have a kid that they're both raising properly.  He's also middle-class, drives a nice car, and has a nice house.  He didn't sell drugs or do anything but hard work to get there, and in the movie, isn't particularly doing anything in his life but being an honest businessman, a good husband, and a good father.  

WHAT THE FUCK? WHERE ARE THE STEREOTYPES??? I need hollywood to tell me all black people desert their kids and smoke crack while slangin weed to make their money.  

2. They explore Eddie's character more.  Eddie is played by Cedric the Entertainer in the movie, who of course is hilarious.  In the first movie, he mainly was just a comedy prop, and in this movie, he's still the main comedy prop, but they were sensible enough to focus major portions of the movie around him, his life, his history, how he feels, what he's seen, etc.  By the end of the movie, we not only have a good sense of Calvin's life, but also Eddie's life now, it really fleshes the neighborhood out.  

3.  The 'danger' in the movie is a haircuttery opening across the street threatening to take all of Calvin's business away.  Instead of playing the obvious angle and making the movie about the white man coming in on the black man's territory for a quick buck, which would have been tired as hell, the movie makes the evil connivers black, thereby resisting another stereotype, and focusing the problem on moral issues, not racial issues.

4. Several scenes of the movie are shot in black in white, set in the 60's, and tell the history of the Barbershop, the neighborhood, Calvin, Calvin Jr., and Eddie.  There's a scene actually set in the riots after Martin Luther King was killed, and it's an amazing scene, after the scene, the whole fucking franchise of the Barbershop movies makes more sense, and everything fits together well.  That they were able to do this in the SECOND movie, and tie into the first and second movies so well really shows that the writer did a good job of trying to make a nice plotline.  

5. The second movie creates, or solidifies, a franchise dynasty for Ice Cube's newest series, "Barbershop", they've already filmed "Beauty Shop" about the girls in the shop nextdoor, and through the second film, they solidify about a dozen characters whom they could base any number of movies around.  If all the other movies end up as good as this one, I'm lovin' it.  You feel like you know the neighborhood or something, and each character has a specific flavor, although hardly ANY of them have even scratched the surface of their storyline.  Eve's character we have no idea about anything about her hardly, the same with everybody else in the shop besides Eddie and Calvin, but at the same time, you feel like you like the character.  Each new movie could focus more on the other characters... he could probably make 3 or 4 more movies if he wrote them intelligently like this one.  

Great movie, 8.5 outta 10.

Don Breezio

Re:5 Reasons why Barbershop 2 Is a good movie
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 12:55:16 AM »
i've been anticipating this movie for sooooo long and i still havent had a chance to see it. thankyou trauma for that review. it really makes me wanna see it like 10 times more...especially because i'd like to see the scenes in black & white you were talking about...that sounds dope.

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 11:23:37 AM »
i enjoyed the first one, so i'm defitenly gonna check out this one when i have the chance, pecae.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

MANBEARPIG.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 08:08:16 PM »

3.  The 'danger' in the movie is a haircuttery opening across the street threatening to take all of Calvin's business away.  Instead of playing the obvious angle and making the movie about the white man coming in on the black man's territory for a quick buck, which would have been tired as hell, the movie makes the evil connivers black, thereby resisting another stereotype, and focusing the problem on moral issues, not racial issues.

'

I like that "Haircuttery" it's better than another Barbershop its a 'haircuttery'!

haha jus givin u a hard time trauma; good job I was skeptical on this at first but now I want to see it.

-KIDRENEGADE-

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 09:04:08 PM »
Yeah, I typed Haircuttery, then thought, hmmm, that sounds fucked up, the place is called nappy cuts, and it's a barber shop.  Then I thought, damn, I'm original as fuck to think up a word like haircuttery, so I purposely left it in.  Good to see my efforts went noticed!!!

West C. Connected

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 01:00:34 PM »
I liked the first one. I wish Barbershop 2 would be in Dutch cinemas.

[Stoned]Jesus H. Christ[Wheat]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Reefer Addict - Abusing It Faster Than A $2 Whore
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 06:32:04 AM »
It was decent
It's 4:20, are you smoking?

Lady Scarface

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 09:43:31 AM »
damn i wana see it, if trauama said its good, i like the 1st 1, and though this was was just gonna be a bullshit sequel , now i def wana check it out

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 10:16:29 AM »
I liked the first one. I wish Barbershop 2 would be in Dutch cinemas.

Same here (but then in Belgium).

Don Breezio

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 06:11:49 PM »
i just saw this and i agree with every single word trauma said...this one was actually better than the 1st in my opinion and the first is one of my fav. movies of all time. this was amazingly well done and funny as hell. i love how they explored the characters lives outside of the barbershop, and they showed the preview for beauty shop (a take off of barbershop for those who don't know)...shit looks dope too.

Floydness

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 06:56:25 PM »
ummm barbershop 2 was a really boring movie... i left like at the first 40 min because i was falling asleep ::)

CHIEFHIGHPRIEST

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 10:30:29 PM »
ummm barbershop 2 was a really boring movie... i left like at the first 40 min because i was falling asleep ::)

that's too bad, just went to this with my mom i thought it was a really good movie i like how they showed how eddie came upon the barbershop at the beginning of the movie and the footage of the riots in black and white, cube did another good job with this one

CHIEFHIGHPRIEST

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 10:46:02 PM »
btw did anybody notice towards the end of the movie they were playin that nate dogg, warren g and quik song there she goes in the background i'm lovin this song i forget if its gonna be on the warren g or nate dogg album

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2004, 09:55:58 AM »
I'm just waiting for them to release it here on DVD (it ain't comin' in the movie theaters), but if they take anything close to as long as they did with the first one, I guess I got to download it. I been waiting to see this as long as I heard they were making it, I loved the first one. It was a sort of slice of life on film, you know? That hardly ever happens. Stupid muthafuckas them who decide what movies to import and what to show in theaters in Finland - here we have a film I'd be more than willing to pay for to see, and they're not planning to release it in theaters...

They did that with the first Austin Powers too - they only released it on video. Then it became a huge hit, and I bet they were going "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKIDY FUCKFUCKFUCK we lost the theater income..." The sequels they were more than happy to show in theaters. Dumbasses...