Author Topic: R. Kelly - You Saved My Life  (Read 534 times)

Don Breezio

R. Kelly - You Saved My Life
« on: April 22, 2004, 07:17:00 PM »
this track is amazing...i assume this will be on his new album...the stories in it are crazy (makes me wonder if all are true or not) but nonetheless its a great track...r. kelly is one of very few R&B artists imo that can pull of a track more than 5 minutes long (this one being over 6).

Suga Foot

Re:R. Kelly - You Saved My Life
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 10:21:59 PM »
where'd you hear it?

Don Breezio

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 10:34:02 PM »

Suga Foot

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 10:34:59 PM »
props

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 06:51:09 AM »
Why does this song make me want to dance? I don't want to seem to ragging on Kelly, but I guess I'm just a hater. I feel if you want to record a song about something serious that you want people to really listen to shouldn't use the type of music that that overly distracts you from the lyric. When abob Dylan wrote a song about the senseless murder of a middle aged black maid by the son of the wealthy people she cleaned, he set a soft sad tone with the music. One could argue that this R  Kelly song is supposed to be happy and the music does accompany the "power" of the lyric, but I don't feel it. If I wasn't very Christian this song would probably do absolutely nothing for me. Another thing is I think he's run out of melodies cause swear I've heard him sing this style over a track like a hundred times. DO SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT SOUND LIKE 90% OF ALL YOUR OTHER SONGS. His flow over the music, 9 times out of 10, is to bland for me, atleast when it comes to his slower songs. There are a few exceptions, but most of his albums are bombarded with filler.

Don Breezio

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 08:14:23 AM »
^^^ you keep getting dumber by the post

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 08:44:24 AM »
It his already been established that your knowledge of music cannot compare to mine. In the grand scheme of things R Kelly is a mediocre artist, you will not understand this until you broaden your horizons beyong hip hop/RnB, and yes even beyond Good Charlotte, and American Hifi. Listen to any Springsteen album between 1975-1987 and you will come to realize your poor judgement. R. Kelly is good, however I can run the 100 meters (110 yards what have you), in just under 11 seconds, that qualifies me as fast, faster than a lot of people, but slower, than the best, and too slow for the Olympics, R Kelly can win a whole bunch of local and regional track meets, but when it comes to running against the best he falls behind.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 08:45:30 AM »
I meant to say it "has" already been established...

sorry.

jerrod

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 04:52:49 PM »
This track is hot.
R Kelly is a genius.

West C. Connected

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 04:59:23 PM »
"You're opinion is wrong!"
"No, YOU'RE opinion is wrong!"
"-I- listen to good music!"
"No, -I- listen to good music!"

;D

Don Breezio

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 06:49:24 PM »
It his already been established that your knowledge of music cannot compare to mine. In the grand scheme of things R Kelly is a mediocre artist, you will not understand this until you broaden your horizons beyong hip hop/RnB, and yes even beyond Good Charlotte, and American Hifi. Listen to any Springsteen album between 1975-1987 and you will come to realize your poor judgement. R. Kelly is good, however I can run the 100 meters (110 yards what have you), in just under 11 seconds, that qualifies me as fast, faster than a lot of people, but slower, than the best, and too slow for the Olympics, R Kelly can win a whole bunch of local and regional track meets, but when it comes to running against the best he falls behind.

it has nothing to do with knowledge of music...the fact that you compare r. kelly to bruce springsteen appauls me...take music into context...don't expect Jay-z to make a beatles album (or danger mouse for that matter)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2004, 09:07:55 AM »
First I wish to reply to ma$e. You are correct to mock after all this argument is based only on opinion and with something as subjective as music no one can really say who is better, its just what they think.

To Luke, I think its safe to say that the Beatles are better than Jay Z. To me music's different genres to mean shit. An artist is either at a higher level than someone else or he isn't, and with my original thread comparing Bruce to R kelly I wanted to see if the people on this forum could recognize these levels, and they did. Te major differenc in the sounds between R Kelly and Bruce is only that R uses more digital instruments and generally makes softer songs, but here not al that different. They both write music, lyric, and produce.
I under stand you think its like saying who is better, Jordan or Gretzky? But to me it isn't that much of a difference. To me music is music and its all Rock n Roll. Chuck D himself claimed rap should be categorized as Rock n Roll, and softer stuff should be seen as second rate.

But one more thing, R Kelly and Stevie Wonder primarily make the same kind of music just in different times, and I put Stevie right up there with Bruce, I just don't put R Kelly up there.

Don Breezio

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 11:07:34 AM »
so to use my comparison again...you're saying that you think it is a valid arguement to compare jayz and the beatles? are you insane? its two different types of music! two totally different time periods! hell i wouldn't even compare jay-z & grandmaster flash!

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2004, 03:20:05 PM »
so to use my comparison again...you're saying that you think it is a valid arguement to compare jayz and the beatles? are you insane? its two different types of music! two totally different time periods! hell i wouldn't even compare jay-z & grandmaster flash!

What about Babe Ruth and Barry Bonds?

Don Breezio

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2004, 01:32:37 AM »
we're talking about music not baseball...music changes day by day, week by week, month by month, and year by year...baseball stays the same. don't be an idiot.