Poll

Who do you prefer?

Prince
2 (18.2%)
Curtis
9 (81.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Curtis Mayfield vs. Prince  (Read 694 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Curtis Mayfield vs. Prince
« on: May 11, 2004, 07:57:18 PM »
Been bugging me for a week or so, I'm interested in seeing the views of people on this board.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Trauma-san

Re:Curtis Mayfield vs. Prince
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 09:15:16 PM »
Prince is a great artist, but he hasn't affected the music scene like Curtis Mayfield has.  

Curtis Mayfield started the Impressions, for god's sake.  He helped launch Jerry Butler.  "People Get Ready" is better than anything Prince has ever done, from not only a songwriting perspective, but also from a aspect of impact on the game.  Nothing Prince has done has affected the music community much, but People Get Ready was one of those songs that helped to totally change music.  Also, it sounds as good today as it did 50 fucking years ago.  

EASSSSSSSILY Curtis Mayfield on this one.  

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 10:05:10 PM »
Prince is a great artist, but he hasn't affected the music scene like Curtis Mayfield has.  

Curtis Mayfield started the Impressions, for god's sake.  He helped launch Jerry Butler.  "People Get Ready" is better than anything Prince has ever done, from not only a songwriting perspective, but also from a aspect of impact on the game.  Nothing Prince has done has affected the music community much, but People Get Ready was one of those songs that helped to totally change music.  Also, it sounds as good today as it did 50 fucking years ago.  

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 06:37:59 AM »

Okay I agree that it is Mayfield, but I have a question, How did MJ change music? For the better?

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 09:57:09 AM »
i'm not going to downplay curtis mayfield's influence to boost prince's but IMO Prince takes this battle. Prince redefined a genre like no other artist before or after him has. i mean look at soul and funk music before 1999 and purple rain paisly park and sign of the times and then look at it after...hell prince had even MJ taking notes.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Neji Huga

• 'G'
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 10:04:16 AM »
i'm not going to downplay curtis mayfield's influence to boost prince's but IMO Prince takes this battle. Prince redefined a genre like no other artist before or after him has. i mean look at soul and funk music before 1999 and purple rain paisly park and sign of the times and then look at it after...hell prince had even MJ taking notes.
Yup
My Train of Thought

"I Got 99 Problems. But, a Bitch ain't one...."

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 12:45:56 PM »
They are both extremely dope, but I have always prefered Curtis Mayfield out of the two, mainly because he stayed dope throughout his career, where as Prince went very strange on us for a number of years, and was putting out albums which didn't really deserve to have his name attached to them, judging by the difference in quality between them and his earlier albums.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 01:05:29 PM »
I'm reading good arguments from both sides, I've been playing them both like crazy the last couple days and I am having trouble deciding. I guess I'll keep listening.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 01:34:53 PM »
I don't listen to either alot cause it ain't my favorite style of music, but for me it's Mayfield too. Like Waitin for The DJ said, I haven't heard anything strange or low quality by him and I'm just feelin tracks like "Move On Up", "Superfly" or "Pusherman" more than anything Prince ever did

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 01:45:18 PM »
The thing is the too are very close when it comes to talent, and saying one is better than the other would be fine no matter who you choose. I mean it's not like Tupac vs. Chingy, or anything like that.

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 02:05:03 PM »
Legends...

"Superfly sdtk" (vs) "Purple rain"
 :o

Hatesrats 2oooIV

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 07:02:52 PM »
Legends...

"Superfly sdtk" (vs) "Purple rain"
 :o

Hatesrats 2oooIV

Tough choice, both contain some of the greatest material ever.

Paris

Soopafly

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 06:25:11 AM »
CURTIS HANdS DOWN

hence the nick

Trauma-san

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 06:29:36 AM »

Okay I agree that it is Mayfield, but I have a question, How did MJ change music? For the better?

That's irrelevant to this discussion, and it's also irrelevant to the MJ/Bruce discussion, because Bruce didn't change music, EITHER.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2004, 06:30:17 AM »

You should do your homework before you say something so stupid.  Read up on Curtis Mayfield, he wasn't just the guy that did "Supafly".