Poll

Who do you prefer?

Prince
2 (18.2%)
Curtis
9 (81.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Curtis Mayfield vs. Prince  (Read 695 times)

Trauma-san

Re:Curtis Mayfield vs. Prince
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2004, 06:32:40 AM »
Yall are just comparing "Superfly" to "Purple Rain", which is a fallacy because Curtis was already a legend before Superfly even came out.  Download

"Keep on Pushin'"
"People Get Ready"
"Gypsy Woman"

etc. Etc. Etc. and then Judge.  It's no contest.  

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re:Curtis Mayfield vs. Prince
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2004, 06:52:08 AM »
Prince is a great artist, but he hasn't affected the music scene like Curtis Mayfield has.  

Curtis Mayfield started the Impressions, for god's sake.  He helped launch Jerry Butler.  "People Get Ready" is better than anything Prince has ever done, from not only a songwriting perspective, but also from a aspect of impact on the game.  Nothing Prince has done has affected the music community much, but People Get Ready was one of those songs that helped to totally change music.  Also, it sounds as good today as it did 50 fucking years ago.  

EASSSSSSSILY Curtis Mayfield on this one.  

Okay I agree that it is Mayfield, but I have a question, How did MJ change music? For the better?

That's irrelevant to this discussion, and it's also irrelevant to the MJ/Bruce discussion, because Bruce didn't change music, EITHER.  

I don't want to get into this and make it another one of my Springsteen advertisements, but, in the early to mid seventies when Rock n Roll was going corporate, and artists were losing touch with their roots, an album came out in 1975. This album was called Born To Run, it went about 6 platinum, not extremely well but not bad either, and showed artists, present and future, that Rock n Roll can be good, soulful, meaningful, and successful. VH1's "behind the music 1975" captures this perfectly. Bruce brought rock back to its roots, and let it grow up too. If you don't think Bruce changed the biz than you need to do some reading.

I WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE TO THOSE WHO CREATED AND CONTRIBUTED TO THE MAYFIELD VS PRICE THREAD FOR GOING OFF TOPIC WITH THE SPRINGSTEEN INFO. I'M SORRY.