Author Topic: What do you consider old school  (Read 791 times)

pappy

What do you consider old school
« on: June 14, 2004, 08:42:51 PM »
I dunno i was talkin to some1 an they were like ooo shit this album is old school.  The album was mobb deep - the infamous.  I was like ummmm yea old school.  so what do you guys consider old school

Trauma-san

Re:What do you consider old school
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 08:43:52 PM »
89' back in Rap.  '78 back in everything else.  

Suga Foot

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 08:48:01 PM »
for the most part I consider anything from 1991 and back old school.  

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 08:50:27 PM »
not what BET thinks. on 106 & park they be havin missy elliot as the old school jam
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 09:13:52 PM »
Man, sometimes I think "A.J. oughta get smacked in the head" but then I think "Fuck, I'd act like an idiot for money, too".  I'd say Xzibit was old school if I got paid what they get paid.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 06:10:39 PM »
id say like 94 and before, in rap

Tha Crip

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 07:37:36 PM »
eric b & rakim/big daddy kane/krs 1......those dudes r old school in my book
"I F**k Wit Feds Magazine"

DAYUM

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 09:01:03 PM »
before 90

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 09:53:04 PM »
Eric B and Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Grandmaster Flash etc.  

It bothers me when people say "OO thats mad old school"

I was bumping WU Tang Forever and a dude was like this shits old school I was like this shit was made in 97..

I noticed mostly kids that got into hip hop when Eminem came out say that.
Chicks usually say it too.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 11:35:51 AM »
Real old school, like Pr1mo said, early RUN-DMC, Grandmaster Flash, Sugarhill Gang etc. ...from Kool Herc to BDP maybe

After that it gets kinda difficult...i wouldn't exactly call Step In The Arena or even Mecca And The Soul Brother old school, but sumhow it ain't what i'd call 'new school' either...sumwhere in between to me

anyways, IMO nothing that dropped after Illmatic can be called old school anymore...before that u can argue maybe

West C. Connected

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 12:00:17 PM »
It depends on the style. Nothing after 96/97 is what I call real old skool, but I use old skool as a style, not a date. Like, Premo is still old skool, Dre in N.W.A. was old skool, him now is not old skool. But that's just me, and I'm insane. :D

soopadoopaflykid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Iguess
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004, 04:23:34 PM »
90 and keep goin back

PLANT

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 04:43:53 PM »
When I was a kid I was growing up on Public Enemy, Maestro Fresh Wes, Bel Biv Devoe ect.   That shit is old school IMO.

N-Sane Brain

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 02:27:16 AM »
It's hard to say a certain date for the beginning of the newskool, like Kill said there are a couple of releases that you can't describe anymore.

Actually I wouldn't call the rap today newskool, it's nothing for me anymore. Not that I hate the rap of the new millenium, but the newskool ended in like '98 for me, now it's un-describe-able :D Mainstream/Underground era or whatever...

Consusing, I know, but just like my Dutch homie: I'm an insane muthafucka :D

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2004, 11:17:13 AM »
Old school you can tell by the quality of the recording. Anything pre OG Chronic to me is old school. Ice Cube with his hard AmeriKKKa'z Most Wanted sound, N.W.A. old school 2nd II None, that old school N2Deep shit, SCC with You Gotta Deal Wit It, Eric B. & Rakim, LL Cool J with Around the Way Girl, Public Enemy up until Don't Trust It, During 1993, I think production of rap started becoming better quality, so pre-1993, or pre OG Chronic in late 1992, is old school to me. From 1992-1999 I'd say that's like the middle school, with 1996 being the year hip-hop feel apart with 'Pac's death and in 1997 the lines between underground and commercial started becoming more clear. In 1999 I think it became very clear, and we are now in the modern era of hip-hop were instead of someone catching a buzz on the streets like a DMX, Nas, Snoop, or anybody, now a rapper has to have a few underground records before they can become famous. Before it was featured on a few tracks and people will hear you, now it's put a few underground tracks, and get a hot single. That I think started in 1999, shown by how Mos Def wasn't a commercial sucess. So pre-1999 is a different era, still pre-1993 is old school.