Author Topic: How Come...  (Read 1168 times)

Sikotic™

Re: How Come...
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2004, 11:02:58 PM »
There's a lot more scores in Basket and American Football, than in Football.. but then again..

Is a movie with 50 murders neccessarily better than a movie with 1 murder.. ??
Is a concert with 50.000 people neccessarily better than a smaller concert with 300 people.. ??

Seeing each team score every other second in handball or basketball isn't all that exciting to me, in certain games maybe..

Your examples are irrelevant to the topic.

In a movie, it is better to have one murder. If you have 50 murders, you lose touch with the characters, no room for a good plot, etc. etc. Sports have no characters or plots to worry about.

The number of people in a concert have nothing to do with the actual performance on stage.

It's simply all about preference and nothing will ever change that. Baseball is a slow-paced game, and that's supposedly America's past time. I personally can't stand the sport from a spectator's standpoint.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Sikx

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • pulu<3hewi
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2004, 11:51:36 PM »
i'd say american football is way more boring and complicated then football in europe. theres like ad's every time there break in game so every fifth second. ::) how can u enjoy somethin if there's all the time breaks.
imo hockey is best and most fastest sport and theres contact and scoring and when ur watchin it live it awesome :D

1.hockey
2.basketball
3.soccer
4.american football
 just my oppinion.

Jome

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2004, 12:24:14 AM »
Your examples are irrelevant to the topic.

In a movie, it is better to have one murder. If you have 50 murders, you lose touch with the characters, no room for a good plot, etc. etc. Sports have no characters or plots to worry about.

The number of people in a concert have nothing to do with the actual performance on stage.

It's simply all about preference and nothing will ever change that. Baseball is a slow-paced game, and that's supposedly America's past time. I personally can't stand the sport from a spectator's standpoint.

Sports have no characters, then what are they, robots.. ??
The comparison was relevant, both movies & sports is supposed to be exciting for the viewer..
Wether movies have a "plot" and sports isn't already planned, is irrelevant.

If a movie have 50 murders, you get bored, like "Who they gonna kill next..  :sleep:", and if a sports game have 100 points scored, you're gonna be like "Gee, who's gonna score next..  :sleep:", at least for regular matches, or matches where one team is clearly better than the other.. obviously important matches and close action packed games are gonna be more exciting, but the point is: If you're watching sports ONLY to see the ball hit the net, you're kinda superficial, just scoring/getting points in itself isn't all that exciting, imo.

Don Seer

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2004, 08:33:17 AM »

how comen american footballs called that when they mostly use their hands?

it should be called american rugby, same shape ball, similar rules in places.. lol..

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2004, 09:08:05 AM »
Why are Europeans so confused why Americans like American Football. It's a game of quick outburst, and explosion. It's also a human chess match. Using big guys as blockers to try and have smaller faster guys score behind them. On the other side, you have defenses trying to do what is can to stop the other team, either by having more fast players to stop the pass, or bigger players down low to stop the run. Each coach has their own schemes, and their own theories. It's not a hard game to get. Just like soccer is as easy as they come. The difference with soccer is that it's just frustrating to watch. I mean, if Mexico is down 2-0 in the beginning of the game, I'd still like to feel like they have a chance to win the game. In football, yesterday the Raiders were down 21-10, and by the last quarter they tied it up. They still lost with no time remaining on a field goal, but that was exciting. I mean a field goal with 7 seconds left and a game on the line, it's a beautiful thing. In basketball, a team can comeback, the Lakers were down 17 in the 4th quarter and cameback to win, who will ever forget Robert Horry's last second 3 to win the game. Shit, even baseball has last second rallies to win the game. Soccer don't have that. I'm sorry, but American Football and Basketball and Baseball are all going to be popular here. But I mean, you guys invented Soccer, and Cricket that's going to be popular in England. That's fine, different cultures, different ways of entertaining ourselves. And you can look down at us for liking what we like, but that's just difference in culture. It's not that we are stupit, or you are stupit. It's just like with any other culture... it's just different. And surely you liberal Europeans understand that.

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2004, 09:49:56 AM »
America has the best music. 

Hmmm.

Well obviously rap is the best for nearly everyone here, but really?

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Oasis etc.  Britain basically owned the American charts up until the 90s.

And as for the Olympics - didn't you not win Basketball?  The 100 metre sprint relay - who won?  And the EU actually won the most medals.  lol.

Sikotic™

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2004, 02:01:55 PM »
You're comparing the EU to America, a single sovereign state? lol
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

eS El Duque

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2004, 02:39:23 PM »
^^LOL..

Anywayz, I believe most euro's here havn't seen a NFL Football Game. Even 7-7 games are exciting, cause every play COUNTS. One bad pass, one bad fumble, one interception could win the game. Last year, about more than half the games were settled by a touchdown or less. NFL games arn't always high scoring..if you want to see HIGHSCORING FOOTBALL GAMES, you watch the CFL Football games, those are fuckin high scoring games lol..wider field, and 3 downs.

Anywayz, Hockey IS the best sport in the world IMO. So fast, contact sport,and there is beauty to the game (not physically :P).

8)

Trauma-san

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2004, 02:46:53 PM »
HISTORY OF AMERICAN FOOTBALL

Football historians, those who have studied the game and its origins, place the games beginnings in rugby, an English game played with many similarities to football. Rugby began in eighteen twenty-three at the famous Rugby Boys School in England.
(...)
Walter Camp, the coach at Yale and a dissenter from the IFA over his desire for an eleven man team, helped begin the final step in the evolution from rugby-style play to the modern game of American football. The IFAs rules committee, led by Camp, soon cut the number of players from fifteen to eleven, and also instituted the size of the playing field, at one hundred ten yards.(...)

So, pretty much, both Football, Rugby, and American Football originally comes from England.
Football was a sport before "American Football", so Football is one sport, and American Football another.

Note to Dumbass: America ITSELF comes from England. 

Montana00

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2004, 03:58:14 PM »
Who cares if american sports are based of european sports. The fact is this.

America based their sports off europeans, and made them better, as usual.

Jome

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2004, 07:43:59 PM »
So, pretty much, both Football, Rugby, and American Football originally comes from England.
Football was a sport before "American Football", so Football is one sport, and American Football another.
Note to Dumbass: America ITSELF comes from England. 

No shit huh..
Doesn't mean that you have to steal or borrow everything though, there IS actually Americans who have invented stuff.  :grumpy:
Or do you mean that the term "American Football" in itself is a tribute to England.. ?  :laugh:

Jome

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2004, 07:47:49 PM »
America based their sports off europeans, and made them better, as usual.

Eye of the beholder.
Or made them more commercial, in most Europeans eyes.
I dunno how you Americans can stand all those fucking commercial breaks..  :grumpy:

Trauma-san

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2004, 09:30:10 PM »
We're a capitalist society.  We make money.  I realize in Norway there's nothing to advertise but fish, fish, and more fish, but here, we supply the world with products & entertainment. 

Suga Foot

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2004, 10:00:07 PM »
We're a capitalist society.  We make money.  I realize in Norway there's nothing to advertise but fish, fish, and more fish, but here, we supply the world with products & entertainment. 

Actually I think China's got the Products on lock.  My tiolet was made in the USA tho  :D.  Amurrca's all about the entertainment tho.

Jome

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2004, 10:33:19 PM »

Nope, we're as much capitalists as you, (not that it's something to brag about  ::) ), we could have ads 24/7 IF it was allowed.
(And fish is the least advertised product..  :loco: )
Here we have regulations on how much advertisement TV channels can air, you can't get off with anything, thank god.

I guess you can have 80% adverts and 20% programs in U.S. and still get away with it, or do you have any regulations.. ?
Take MTV e.g.. you have 8-10 minutes programs, 5-7 minutes commercials, 8-10 minutes programs, etc..