Author Topic: Who were the earliest rappers?  (Read 211 times)

davida.b.

Who were the earliest rappers?
« on: November 01, 2004, 07:35:01 PM »
I've been thinking this to myself, mainly because I realize that some people think that "Rappers Delight" was the first rap song ever. Only rapper I know of that was around before Rappers Delight was that Prince Whipper Whip dude who appeared on the Beatnuts album. Who were some other rappers that were around pre-Rappers Delight?

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: Who were the earliest rappers?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 07:37:03 PM »
Funk band Fatback recorded the first Hip-Hop song ever, King Tim III.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Suga Foot

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 07:47:16 PM »
people were 'rapping' in songs as far back as the 60's in blues music.

mrtonguetwista

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 07:48:23 PM »
Fred and Barney used to get down at the Moose's Lodge :D

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 07:56:16 PM »
I heard that one of Bob Dylan's songs could actually be considered the 1st rap song...

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 08:41:23 PM »
John Lennon's "I Am The Walrus" sounds a whole hellova lot like rap to me.  "Tommorow Never Knows" had samples and drum loops in it, too, and all that shit was mid 60's.  John even dissed Paul McCartney in the early 70's on the Imagine album, a song called "How Do You Sleep?"... so I'd consider John Lennon the first rapper ever. 

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 02:19:14 AM »
Fred and Barney used to get down at the Moose's Lodge :D

lmao

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 08:37:37 AM »
I heard that one of Bob Dylan's songs could actually be considered the 1st rap song...

It's called Subterranean Homesick Blues and it's pretty much a rap. I am a Walrus isn't really rapping. Lennon might be using elements that are present in hip hop, but he isn't rapping much. Dylan raps the whole song.

Rapper's Delight defiantely isn't the first rap song. Walk This Way came out way before.

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 10:47:13 AM »
coke la rock and clark kent. they were in a group with kool herc.
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 11:02:26 AM »

It's called Subterranean Homesick Blues and it's pretty much a rap.

Yeah, that's definetly a rap.

"The pump won't work cause the vandals took the handles". Classic song.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 12:03:01 PM »

It's called Subterranean Homesick Blues and it's pretty much a rap. I am a Walrus isn't really rapping. Lennon might be using elements that are present in hip hop, but he isn't rapping much. Dylan raps the whole song.

Rapper's Delight defiantely isn't the first rap song. Walk This Way came out way before.

There isn't any rapping on the Aerosmith original.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 03:17:22 PM »

There isn't any rapping on the Aerosmith original.

It's the exact same song, word for word. To say Steven Tyler isn't rapping is being in denial. In my opinion he raps much better.

i love men who take pictures with their booty's out

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You know you want me.
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 10:09:37 PM »

even tho some may consider this dude a comedian

but..um

Dolemite rudy ray moore, was really a rapper, go find some of his albums.. he has original beats, he has a rhyme scheme goin, it make since u can nod ya head to his shit...and laugh ya ass off at the same time.. and this was in the early 70's be4 rappers delight or ne of that other shit..dude be cussin his ass off too...

his shit is closer to stuff, devin the dude, suga free, too short, k-dee now than anything else

they called it comedy.. but shit its rap imo.. richard pryor, wanda paige (aunt esther), lenny bruce and all the early legends wasnt doin this rhymin shit rudy was doin..they didnt know what to call it...

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 08:39:58 AM »

even tho some may consider this dude a comedian

but..um

Dolemite rudy ray moore, was really a rapper, go find some of his albums.. he has original beats, he has a rhyme scheme goin, it make since u can nod ya head to his shit...and laugh ya ass off at the same time.. and this was in the early 70's be4 rappers delight or ne of that other shit..dude be cussin his ass off too...

Bob Dylan's song was from the 60s.