Author Topic: DJ Quik v. Dr. Dre  (Read 1548 times)

Zero4eva

Re: DJ Quik v. Dr. Dre
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2002, 09:03:33 AM »
Dr. Dre is the best producer in my opinion.  Aright?

IMO it's Timbaland (US) + Akhenaton (Europe)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Cross_Over

• Lil Geezy
  • Breakin' ankles on a daily basis...
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2002, 10:56:19 AM »
I'm not saying that the immpression that I got about Dre is true. He just came off like that to me. Behind closed doors he may be the nicest person, but the side that he shows to the world is that of the nigga that's on top and knows damn well he's gonna stay on top. No disrespect to Andre Young personally, I don't know him personally, but Dr. Dre, the man we see on TV just seems very arrogant to me. Dr. Dre and the everyday man we don't get a glipse of are probably totally different...
We're gonna need a doctor I think this kids ankles are broken...

Zero4eva

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2002, 11:31:03 AM »
I'm not saying that the immpression that I got about Dre is true. He just came off like that to me. Behind closed doors he may be the nicest person, but the side that he shows to the world is that of the nigga that's on top and knows damn well he's gonna stay on top. No disrespect to Andre Young personally, I don't know him personally, but Dr. Dre, the man we see on TV just seems very arrogant to me. Dr. Dre and the everyday man we don't get a glipse of are probably totally different...

That description reminds me of Shaquille O'Neal. He's a damn cool dude, but when put in front of a camera he's seems to be bored to death, arrogant etc.

AfterMathematics

• 'G'
  • West Coast Represent for all y'all
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2002, 11:34:04 AM »
Here's an MTV news article about Quik, and he had the following to say about Dre:

-----------------
Quik said Dr. Dre, who raps on and produced "Put It on Me," helped him fine-tune some of the tracks.

"Dude is like a super genius," he marveled. "His name couldn't be more perfect: the doctor. He gives you prescriptions on how to make your music better. You take it in and play for him, he gives you his opinions, and you implement his ideas. Before you know it, your record is beautiful."

Source:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1451950/20020128/story.jhtml
-----------------

I don't know about you guys, but if Quik himself says Dre's a "super genius" and that he "make(s) your music better," then I think we should take his word for it. Why would Quik bother to listen to Dre's comments if he thought Dre is worse than him? I think, at best, you can consider Quik to be on Dre's level, but to say that he is far superior is ludicrous, considering how the man himself is deferential to Dre's talent and expertise.

Cross_Over

• Lil Geezy
  • Breakin' ankles on a daily basis...
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2002, 11:44:57 AM »
Point taken, but that doesn't neccessarily make Dre better. Quik gave it up to Dre. I give it up to Dre, I just don't think that he's better.

Walter Payton used to give it up to Emmit Smith...we all know Emmit will never be as good as Walter was..Right  ???
We're gonna need a doctor I think this kids ankles are broken...

Zero4eva

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2002, 11:46:52 AM »
Point taken, but that doesn't neccessarily make Dre better. Quik gave it up to Dre. I give it up to Dre, I just don't think that he's better.

Walter Payton used to give it up to Emmit Smith...we all know Emmit will never be as good as Walter was..Right  ???

Timbaland is the best ;D ;D

D.R.E.-Dogg

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2002, 12:27:39 PM »

Obviesly Quik got hella respect for Dre and his skills.

I don't think he thinks he's betta it doesn't sound like that.

Woodrow

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2002, 12:31:46 PM »
Well, I promised myself I wouldn't come into this one, but here it goes:

I think that Irv Gotti is the best producer out there...

D.R.E.-Dogg

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2002, 12:34:33 PM »
Well, I promised myself I wouldn't come into this one, but here it goes:

I think that Irv Gotti is the best producer out there...

u trippin'

Family45

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2002, 12:58:25 PM »
Well.....I look at it like this. Its human nature to give a biased opinion when it comes to your favorite artist.  I've been debating with people for about 5 years now over the topic, "Who's the best producer out west?"  Dj Quik fans feel that its an injustice that Dr. Dre holds that title.  Dre fans feel, "Hey its gotta be Dre becuz...Its Dre!"

I'm from L.A. but I went to college down south and I've travelled all throughout the east coast.  EVERYBODY says that the best producer out west is Dre.  If I ask them if they ever heard of Suga Free, Mausberg, or any DJ Quik albums after "Safe & Sound" they're like, "Naw neva heard of em"

I feel Dj Quik is at a disadvantage because hardly ANYBODY gets to hear his music on the radio.  I currently live in Jacksonville, FL.  They didn't even know Quik has an album out right now.  The only thing that you hear out of the west is anything affiliated with Snoop or Dre.

On the subject of simplistic beats.  Uhh yeah, even Dre's most hardcore fans have to admit that Dre sounds a little "Uninspired" nowadays.  For all of you with a little musical backround, it widely known that live instrumentation WILL ALWAYS sound better than LOOPS.  We all know that Dre uses loops and the more he grows uninspired the more not listenable he becomes.  Quik uses live instruments.  My brother & I were trying to count the number of instruments in "We Still Party".  We gave up at 9.  Not to mention that he PLAYS the majority of the instruments HIMSELF a la Stevie Wonder & Prince.  Try to think of rap producers from any coast that put that much heart & soul into their music and still make bangin tracks.

I'm getting long-winded, but at the end of the day DJ Quik will never be crowned King of the West Coast by mass media, only by those who actually hear all of his work. One more thing.  You will ALWAYS hear Quik givin up props to Dre cuz he knows Dre started this gangsta shit back in the day.  Thats just the kind of modest person that he is.

THIS IS MY OPINION.  DONT FLAME ME PLEASE!

Menace Clan- Da Hood...Slept on classic

JAE

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2002, 03:22:27 PM »
Well.....I look at it like this. Its human nature to give a biased opinion when it comes to your favorite artist.  I've been debating with people for about 5 years now over the topic, "Who's the best producer out west?"  Dj Quik fans feel that its an injustice that Dr. Dre holds that title.  Dre fans feel, "Hey its gotta be Dre becuz...Its Dre!"

I'm from L.A. but I went to college down south and I've travelled all throughout the east coast.  EVERYBODY says that the best producer out west is Dre.  If I ask them if they ever heard of Suga Free, Mausberg, or any DJ Quik albums after "Safe & Sound" they're like, "Naw neva heard of em"

I feel Dj Quik is at a disadvantage because hardly ANYBODY gets to hear his music on the radio.  I currently live in Jacksonville, FL.  They didn't even know Quik has an album out right now.  The only thing that you hear out of the west is anything affiliated with Snoop or Dre.

On the subject of simplistic beats.  Uhh yeah, even Dre's most hardcore fans have to admit that Dre sounds a little "Uninspired" nowadays.  For all of you with a little musical backround, it widely known that live instrumentation WILL ALWAYS sound better than LOOPS.  We all know that Dre uses loops and the more he grows uninspired the more not listenable he becomes.  Quik uses live instruments.  My brother & I were trying to count the number of instruments in "We Still Party".  We gave up at 9.  Not to mention that he PLAYS the majority of the instruments HIMSELF a la Stevie Wonder & Prince.  Try to think of rap producers from any coast that put that much heart & soul into their music and still make bangin tracks.

I'm getting long-winded, but at the end of the day DJ Quik will never be crowned King of the West Coast by mass media, only by those who actually hear all of his work. One more thing.  You will ALWAYS hear Quik givin up props to Dre cuz he knows Dre started this gangsta shit back in the day.  Thats just the kind of modest person that he is.

THIS IS MY OPINION.  DONT FLAME ME PLEASE!

Great post. You just explained exactly how i feel but i just couldnt come up with the words. Its nice to know that everyone here isnt ONLY dre fans. I dont think anyone can disagree with what you said. Thats why no one has replied yet. But this is a constent battle that will never be won. I cant convince a dre fan to listen to quik more just like a dre fan cant make me like him more. So lets just leave it at this. We all have views and we are wasting our time trying to prove the next guy wrong. Take music for what its worth. It should be enjoyed no matter what you like listening to.

D.R.E.-Dogg

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2002, 12:30:18 PM »

Great post. You just explained exactly how i feel but i just couldnt come up with the words. Its nice to know that everyone here isnt ONLY dre fans. I dont think anyone can disagree with what you said. Thats why no one has replied yet. But this is a constent battle that will never be won. I cant convince a dre fan to listen to quik more just like a dre fan cant make me like him more. So lets just leave it at this. We all have views and we are wasting our time trying to prove the next guy wrong. Take music for what its worth. It should be enjoyed no matter what you like listening to.

The main argument of this post is that very few people hev heard of Quik.
Not too much if u ask me since ME and all'em people on this board actually DO know him so we CAN judge that shit just like u can and we STILL say Dre is the betta one.

And u said Addictive was best or most creative beat for a long time but fact is it was a sample and the original ain't that different since they got sued for this shit now...

But I agree wit ya everybody got his own opinion although u don't really believe this yourself since u always say Quik is the betta in the end after sayin everybody's got his own opinion.

If u DO think everybody's got his own opnion leave it at this...

Woodrow

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2002, 01:09:21 PM »

And u said Addictive was best or most creative beat for a long time but fact is it was a sample and the original ain't that different since they got sued for this shit now...

Creativity has nothing to do with the lawsuit

Quikstar

• Lil Geezy
  • Westcoast/Hip Hop Pioneer
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2002, 01:25:08 PM »
Ya'll must have not listen to Quik on a good day if you say he's too simple.  :(
America's Most Complete Artist

JAE

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2002, 03:13:43 PM »

The main argument of this post is that very few people hev heard of Quik.
Not too much if u ask me since ME and all'em people on this board actually DO know him so we CAN judge that shit just like u can and we STILL say Dre is the betta one.

But I agree wit ya everybody got his own opinion although u don't really believe this yourself since u always say Quik is the betta in the end after sayin everybody's got his own opinion.

If u DO think everybody's got his own opnion leave it at this...

I have every single dj quik album, every single amg album, every single mausberg album, every single suga free album (expect pomona pimpin), playa hamms layin hands, every single 2nd ii none album. And my Swing'n cd is on its way. I think i know enough about quik to tell you my opinion. And yes i do have a dre cd and have heard more than alot of dres music to be able to judge who i think is better.