Author Topic: Foreign Enrollment Declines at Universities  (Read 357 times)

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Foreign Enrollment Declines at Universities
« on: November 13, 2004, 10:28:27 AM »
Not sure how interesting peeps will find this, but this is a pretty big issue that will continue to affect our economy.  This article doesn't blame Bush for this problem, and certainly a few things are affecting this phenomonon, but talking to some international people I know, a lot of foreigners just aren't looking at the US as the land of opportunity anymore.  And over the past few years we are slowly being branded as being a dumb nation.  We've benefits for decades from the inflow of foreign intellectual capital, now the inflow is drying up, and at the same time some of our intellectual capital is going overseas due to growing frustration with the Bush Administration.  I mentioned before 5,000 US scientists signed a report that documented the Bush Admin's abuse of science.  But anyways, make this what you will.  To me its an issue, to you it might be nothing. 

Full Article Here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/10/education/10college.html?pagewanted=print&position=

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: Foreign Enrollment Declines at Universities
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 02:41:05 PM »
that's pretty interesting , but you'd never notice it by going to UCLA , USC, UCR, UCD, Cal, CSUB, and a whole lot of other california colleges. the asian population and indian populations at these schools are pretty big

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 03:26:25 PM »
yeah, big but getting smaller, and in cali there are a lot of american asians.

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 10:31:30 PM »
And over the past few years we are slowly being branded as being a dumb nationWe've benefits for decades from the inflow of foreign intellectual capital, now the inflow is drying up, and

yeah, big but getting smaller, and in cali there are a lot of american asians.

I wonder why...

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 07:35:46 PM »
why would you waste a post pointing out typos.  And the second one wasn't even a typo.  You're still asian if you live in America.  In Cali there are a lot of American Asians, i.e. asian people who have U.S. citizenship. 

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 07:36:40 PM »
why would you waste a post pointing out typos.  And the second one wasn't even a typo.  You're still asian if you live in America.  In Cali there are a lot of American Asians, i.e. asian people who have U.S. citizenship. 

Asian-American

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 07:43:29 PM »
I'm sorry your post is still stupid.  Supposedly I tend to agree with you on most issues, but I don't tolerate assholes on either side.  Anyone who posts just to point out typos, and be like "oh my grammar is better than yours" is an asshole with low-self esteem. Yes its more common, and probably grammatically correct to say italian-american, asian-american, etc. etc., but who fuckin cares, its a message board not my college thesis.

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 10:41:37 PM »
It's just ironic that you were complaining about the rest of the world thinking that Americans are dumb.

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 04:12:40 AM »
Were the richest and most powerful nation.....we cant be all that dumb.

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 04:25:07 AM »
Were America is the richest and most powerful nation.....we cant be Not all that everyone is as dumb as I am.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 04:58:54 AM »
it is common knowledge here that our local universities are on a higher level than american universities.
kinda assumable, since every nut can go to college in america, whereas it's more special to go to a university here.
the biggest problem in your education system is that you dont have enough seperation between smart guys and dumb asses.
you might have honor shit in high school, still all you have is high school.
we have 3 different general types of school after elementary school. that's way more effective.
putting retards and geniuses into the same school or even class, isnt helping neither one of them.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Don Seer

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 11:18:03 AM »

funny how americans come to oxford and cambridge..

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 01:55:50 PM »
it is common knowledge here that our local universities are on a higher level than american universities.
kinda assumable, since every nut can go to college in america, whereas it's more special to go to a university here.
the biggest problem in your education system is that you dont have enough seperation between smart guys and dumb asses.
we have 3 different general types of school after elementary school. that's way more effective.
putting retards and geniuses into the same school or even class, isnt helping neither one of them.

I've attended school both in Europe and here in the U.S., and I'll tell you that primary/secondary school in countries like Germany, Switzerland, England, etc is a lot better than it is in the U.S... The system there is better and the quality of education is. However, when it comes to universities, the U.S. can't be compared to. I mean yea, European countries have some great universities, but that small number is nothing compared to the universities here in the U.S.

When you say "every nut can go to college in America", that's true, but only for community college, not 4-year universities. There's a tough application process for the more prestigious universities. Take UCLA for example, it's not ivy-league or anything, but it's ranked the 4th best public university. Out of 43,000 applicants, 3,900 were accepted. I knew a girl that had a 4.4 GPA, and she didn't get in.

India's  ITT is one of the best engineering schools in the world, does that mean that India's universities better than the U.S. or can India be considered as having "great universities".... not really... there's only a couple good schools.

By the way 7even, were you referring to the system of Haupt/Real/Gymnasium?

If you were to name like 2 schools in your country, I could easily just name HARVARD and say the U.S. has the better universities just because I was able to name the best in the world.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 02:17:27 PM »

I've attended school both in Europe and here in the U.S., and I'll tell you that primary/secondary school in countries like Germany, Switzerland, England, etc is a lot better than it is in the U.S... The system there is better and the quality of education is. However, when it comes to universities, the U.S. can't be compared to. I mean yea, European countries have some great universities, but that small number is nothing compared to the universities here in the U.S.

When you say "every nut can go to college in America", that's true, but only for community college, not 4-year universities. There's a tough application process for the more prestigious universities. Take UCLA for example, it's not ivy-league or anything, but it's ranked the 4th best public university. Out of 43,000 applicants, 3,900 were accepted. I knew a girl that had a 4.4 GPA, and she didn't get in.

India's  ITT is one of the best engineering schools in the world, does that mean that India's universities better than the U.S. or can India be considered as having "great universities".... not really... there's only a couple good schools.

By the way 7even, were you referring to the system of Haupt/Real/Gymnasium?

If you were to name like 2 schools in your country, I could easily just name HARVARD and say the U.S. has the better universities just because I was able to name the best in the world.

What is the difference between community college and 4-year universities?

I knew there are a couple of famous universities in the U.S., like Harvard, Princeton, Yale and whatever.
Those might be really good, the more "prestigious" universities as you said. Yet I doubt the standard colleges can compare to them.
Btw you said UCLA has like 50,000 people in it? I can't even imagine that. My school has like 1000 people .. 50 times that much is just plain crazy.
When it comes to German universities I can only name the LMU here in Munich, I've been told it's a good university, I have no real clue myself though I wont look for universities before I've finished school.

And yes I was referring to the system of Haupt/Real/Gymnasium.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 04:52:18 PM »
I think its commonly assumed and perhaps fairly that the US has the best collegiate system.  Yes, in many ways it is lacking, I believe we send to many people to colleges, and indoing so dilute college education, but we have a strong base of solid colleges. 

For example there are the obvious:
Yale
Harvard
Princeton
Stanford
Columbia

But there are plenty other very impressive schools:
MIT
Cal Tech
UPenn
NYU
Georgia Tech
Boston College
and plenty others

Other countries, at this point, just can't compete on the collegiate level, and yes there is a huge difference between a top tier american university and community college unfortunately, but there is a smaller difference between community college and ur avg. american college.