Author Topic: this guy says tupac, jay z, are the most overrated rappers ever. Agree?  (Read 627 times)

Drudge

• Muthafuckin' OG
http://www.epinions.com/content_4038762628

To some extent Tupac was overrated. However, he was still a good lyricist. and before we all start stone throwing at the guy, remember it top 5 overrated rappers not that they couldn't rap.

In my opinion even though I love snoop dog and its hard to imagine hiphop without him, as a lyricist he's declined. Having money doesn't make you hungry anymore. Certainly I remember people wanting to almost spit in my face when I tried to tell them Ras Kass, Chino XL, and even early Eminem was better than most of Tupacs lyrics. I disagree about Jay z even though he's commercial he's still got some smooth lyrics.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: this guy says tupac, jay z, are the most overrated rappers ever. Agree?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 10:48:17 AM »
both are indeed overrated
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 11:26:05 AM »
Both are very overrated, Pac moreso though IMO.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 11:46:46 AM »
I could never say Pac was overrated. He was the best all round package in the history of rap music. His lyrics were more poetic than most and just as good as any of the other best rappers. His delivery was so versatile. He knew what type of emotion the song required, and he knew how to display that emotion better than anybody. He could do angry, sad, excited, cocky, and serious. Kind of like Elvis in that regard, if he were to touch a song everybody else better leave it alone. I think of Nas's "Dance" from God's Son, and can only imagine how much better it would have sounded if Pac recorded it. His flow was musical and fluid all the time. He may have been hypocritical or acted stupid sometimes but that shouldn't affect his merit as an artist. We aren't judging Tupac the human being, we are judging Tupac the artist. I'll never understand what people mean when they say he wasn't good lyrically. I'd compare some of his best work to early Springsteen lyrics, well above 90% of hip hop 90% of the time, and never below it.

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 11:56:01 AM »
2Pac deserves to be at number 1 in the list...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 12:00:24 PM »
2pac aint over-rated, all you gotta do is listne to Strictly 4 my niggaz, and you see he was fo real.

Jay-z on the othe rhand, i  don't see what's so special about the dude, he has some tight songs. one album i can actually listen to over and over agian (the black album), and thats it.
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Sikx

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • pulu<3hewi
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 12:23:28 PM »
i would'nt put snoop or jay-z to top5.. i dont know but i have this feeling that nas has been loosing his touch after stillmatic, dunno then. pac probably is top5, doesn't mean he can't rap... 50cent pretty much yeah.. i can't think any other atm.. but not snoop or jay.

edit:
Overrated rappers are usually the ones who are done, but they still keep going and people buy their albums
thinking they will make a comeback.

Eminem? ???
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 12:25:09 PM by Sikx »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 12:28:15 PM »
i would'nt put snoop or jay-z to top5.. i dont know but i have this feeling that nas has been loosing his touch after stillmatic, dunno then. pac probably is top5, doesn't mean he can't rap... 50cent pretty much yeah.. i can't think any other atm.. but not snoop or jay.

Did you just say you put 50 Cent in the top 5?

I`m Wayne Brady bitch!

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 12:30:36 PM »
In one word : Yeas
Why : Becouse they dont sound good enough to be the best ever in my ears

Sikx

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • pulu<3hewi
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 12:43:04 PM »
fuck i gotta reply one more time after reading that whole thing, man that guy has issues, he is the worst nas dickrider, no bad word about him, like he has no bad albums, guy is thinkin that he is god's son ::) plus then that writer said canibus is best battle rapper? :'( makes me so sad...and that takeover was flop :'(

fuck that whole review,imo.

Sikx

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • pulu<3hewi
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 12:47:53 PM »

yeah, altho i like his music, grodt was great album, i dont deny he isnt anywhere near nas,jay,em etc. if ur comment was sarcasm, that pretty much answered, right? if it wasnt, then yeah i did,  :P

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 01:05:50 PM »
jay-z isnt overrated at all.
lyricist? great
wordplay? one of the best to ever do it. name me one song where jay doesnt have at least 2 or 3 hot lines
flow? one of the best ever. only people who come to mind above him are treach and biggie, possibly percee p and masta ace. he innovated with the black album. plenty of people trying to use his flows...lil wayne being the most obvious
mic presence? good
delivery? good
discography? very good, and consistent. reasonable doubt? one of the most lyrical albums ever. everytime you listen to that album you can find find a new double/triple meaning in it. the multis on that album were crazy. blueprint is a classic. every other one of his albums is a 3.5 or above, except vol 2, which was trash.
storytelling? good
he can appeal to the underground, while selling tons of records
he can freestyle out the ass
whether people want to admit it or not, jay>big

2pac is overrated in the sense that people think he is god. alot of people think he is goat, i say maybe top 20.
lyricist? average.
flow? it was ok. he rarely ever switched it up, and when he did, it wasnt good.
wordplay? never really used it. when he did? average.
mic presence? one of the best ever. hes up there with cube and krs. when he got on the mic, you knew exactly who it was. people say cube sounded angry? 2pac sounded like he was about to shoot shit up in the studio
delivery? above average.
discography? this is where 2pac shined. one undeniable classic, me against the world, 2 so called classics in makaveli and all eyez on me. has one dope group album with thuglife. strictly 4 my niggaz was a 3.5-4 mic album. 2pacalypse now wasnt that good of a debut, but certainly not the worst. i think hes the only rapper where every album he released, it got better. i believe this category is why some people consider him goat.
ok freestyler, nothing to brag about
storytelling? only actual storytelling track i remember he ever doing was tear drops and closed caskets. cant really rate off one song
hes the most improved lyrical rapper from the begining of his career to the end. nursery rhymes to very good in makaveli.

snoop dogg is the most overrated rapper of all time imo

kurupt killed him every time he got on the mic(much like he did 2pac 2 or 3 times)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 01:21:55 PM by smartass »
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 01:09:35 PM »
I could never say Pac was overrated. He was the best all round package in the history of rap music. His lyrics were more poetic than most and just as good as any of the other best rappers. His delivery was so versatile. He knew what type of emotion the song required, and he knew how to display that emotion better than anybody. He could do angry, sad, excited, cocky, and serious. Kind of like Elvis in that regard, if he were to touch a song everybody else better leave it alone. I think of Nas's "Dance" from God's Son, and can only imagine how much better it would have sounded if Pac recorded it. His flow was musical and fluid all the time. He may have been hypocritical or acted stupid sometimes but that shouldn't affect his merit as an artist. We aren't judging Tupac the human being, we are judging Tupac the artist. I'll never understand what people mean when they say he wasn't good lyrically. I'd compare some of his best work to early Springsteen lyrics, well above 90% of hip hop 90% of the time, and never below it.

I agree. 2pac = rap Bob Marley, the rap Marvin Gaye.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

C-Swift

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 01:17:32 PM »
Forget about Pac and BIG being overrated, that goes to Snoop, dude has fell off lyrically.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 01:31:02 PM »

yeah, altho i like his music, grodt was great album, i dont deny he isnt anywhere near nas,jay,em etc. if ur comment was sarcasm, that pretty much answered, right? if it wasnt, then yeah i did,  :P

I wasn't being sarcastic, I just couldn't believe that someone thinks their are only 4 rappers better than 50.