Author Topic: When and Why did RnB and Rock n Roll become to different genres?  (Read 446 times)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: When and Why did RnB and Rock n Roll become to different genres?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2004, 09:29:22 AM »
I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW INDIE IS A GENRE IF ALL IT MEANS IS INDEPENDANT.. INDIE IS LIKE A SUBCATEGORY OF OF DIFFERENT GENRES

Don Breezio

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2004, 11:18:25 AM »
I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW INDIE IS A GENRE IF ALL IT MEANS IS INDEPENDANT.. INDIE IS LIKE A SUBCATEGORY OF OF DIFFERENT GENRES

thats what i was saying....its just a sub genre....just like gangsta rap....its still hip hop.....just like punk....its still rock....just like drum n bass...its still techno

SGV

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2004, 06:31:16 AM »
Jon B and Joss Stone are considered R & B.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2004, 08:16:15 AM »
Jon B and Joss Stone are considered R & B.

Just like Jimi and Lenny are considered rock. When an artist does a music too "black" or too "white" then it's hard switch them and say they aren't. Calling Lenny RnB would sound stupid, and calling Joss Stone rock would sound stupid too. Even though it's the same thing in essence. I thought Joss Stone was jazz?

SGV

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2004, 10:37:58 AM »
She's R & B to me.

Justin Timberlake's solo was R & B, but N Sync shit is Pop. Why? The beats/vibe and the direction.

There is a difference, if you ask me. It's not color-based, it just so happens, that most white's will make Pop and most blacks will make R & B.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2004, 11:21:03 AM »
She's R & B to me.

Justin Timberlake's solo was R & B, but N Sync shit is Pop. Why? The beats/vibe and the direction.

There is a difference, if you ask me. It's not color-based, it just so happens, that most white's will make Pop and most blacks will make R & B.

So than what is Marvin Gaye, or B2K. Pop isn't a genre, it's a status. When you are popular or perform a popular sound it is pop. In 94 Snoop was pop. In 2000 Eminem was pop. In 92 Nirvana was pop. Puddle of Mudd who basically ripped of Nirvava a couple years ago, but they were never pop.

SGV

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2004, 11:45:37 AM »
Marvin Gaye is Soul. FUCK THE BULLSHIT! LOL. B2K is the borderline of R&B and Pop. Pop is a style, IMO. Being Pop and making Pop Music are two different things. Lil Jon, Snoop and Jay-Z are Pop, but they DO NOT make Pop Music.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2004, 11:52:31 AM »
Marvin Gaye is Soul. FUCK THE BULLSHIT! LOL. B2K is the borderline of R&B and Pop. Pop is a style, IMO. Being Pop and making Pop Music are two different things. Lil Jon, Snoop and Jay-Z are Pop, but they DO NOT make Pop Music.

So what do you call "Can I Get A witness", Heard It through The Grapevine", "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"? They were all catchy songs written by other people and sung by Marvin Gaye in order to make record sales. Isn't that your definition of pop?

I like pop. I just don't like second rate artists singing second rate songs. When Motwon or Elvis did it, it was great. When the Righteous Brothers did it it was great. The current artists and songs just aren't that good.

If you think What's My Name or Hard Knock Life wasn't put out with the intention to become popular and make money, then I don't know what to say.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2004, 01:09:23 PM »
There is a definite difference between RnB and Soul. To be fair, if you look at most of the artists that are considered to be rnb, they are just black pop artists, i.e. Usher, B2K, 112, etc. Some would now call people like Bilal, and Anthony Hamiliton RnB, but they to me are Soul, as would Joss Stone or Alicia Keys be. And, going by that Soul and Rock N Roll are too seperate things. They started off as one, back with Little Richard, and that generation, and then split with the whole british invasion of rock n roll, and labels like Motown putting out loads of soul music. They both came from the same place, but are now two seperate entities.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2004, 02:01:37 PM »
There is a definite difference between RnB and Soul. To be fair, if you look at most of the artists that are considered to be rnb, they are just black pop artists, i.e. Usher, B2K, 112, etc. Some would now call people like Bilal, and Anthony Hamiliton RnB, but they to me are Soul, as would Joss Stone or Alicia Keys be. And, going by that Soul and Rock N Roll are too seperate things. They started off as one, back with Little Richard, and that generation, and then split with the whole british invasion of rock n roll, and labels like Motown putting out loads of soul music. They both came from the same place, but are now two seperate entities.

As far as I know soul music basically RnB with Gospel elements. Ray Charles was a big part of it. A soul song is basicallly an RnB ballad. "My Girl" certainly shouldn't be considered soul, and if it is then most Elvis songs should be as well. I can't see how soul and rock ballads are so different. I mean what is Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers ? (featured in Ghost). Is that song so different than the Barry White stuff. Like Billy Joel said "It's still Rock n Roll to me". I'd include Reggae in that too, since it was heavily inspired by the 50s rock, as well as the calypso, etc. Go find out what kind of bands Bob Marley was in when he was younger, and see how he dressed.

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2004, 08:21:15 PM »
man Motzart was pop. but its all about the feel of a song. you have a soulful song its rnb . you got a song with ALOT of guitars and acid induced lyrics its rock

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2004, 01:13:33 AM »
just about all popular music except for country muisic falls underneith the umbrella of Rock music

Rock just went somewhere else totally got rid of almost all blues characteristics where as r and B  (real r and B) stayed within the characteristics

but the name change thing has always happened

blues is basically the root of almost all popular music (well european classical is but in terms of pop music it's blues)

Blues became R and B (but was still the blues essencially)
R and B became Rock and soul (but was still the blues)
soul became funk (but it was still the blues)
funk became disco (but it was in many ways still the blues)
disco became rap (but still blues)

my music professor explained it best American Popular music is like a Rubix cube there's a million different colors all mixed up (million genres) but it's shape is still a cube (the music is still in the blues form)

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

SGV

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2004, 06:18:33 AM »

So what do you call "Can I Get A witness", Heard It through The Grapevine", "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"? They were all catchy songs written by other people and sung by Marvin Gaye in order to make record sales. Isn't that your definition of pop?

I like pop. I just don't like second rate artists singing second rate songs. When Motwon or Elvis did it, it was great. When the Righteous Brothers did it it was great. The current artists and songs just aren't that good.

If you think What's My Name or Hard Knock Life wasn't put out with the intention to become popular and make money, then I don't know what to say.
Making music with intentions to sell and become popular is NOT Pop music. Pop music is like Britney Spears, N Sync, 98 Degrees. That's Pop MUSIC.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2004, 08:06:54 AM »

Making music with intentions to sell and become popular is NOT Pop music. Pop music is like Britney Spears, N Sync, 98 Degrees. That's Pop MUSIC.

C'mon man, if you think Ain't No Mountain High Enough and Crazy by Britney Spears fall under different genres then you're wrong. The only reason Marvin Gaye (the early ones) songs sound any different than N'Synch is because of the different eras. The Jackson 5 were no different than the Backstreet boys, except they could play instruments. They weren't very good but they could play.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2004, 12:02:21 PM »

As far as I know soul music basically RnB with Gospel elements. Ray Charles was a big part of it. A soul song is basicallly an RnB ballad. "My Girl" certainly shouldn't be considered soul, and if it is then most Elvis songs should be as well. I can't see how soul and rock ballads are so different. I mean what is Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers ? (featured in Ghost). Is that song so different than the Barry White stuff. Like Billy Joel said "It's still Rock n Roll to me". I'd include Reggae in that too, since it was heavily inspired by the 50s rock, as well as the calypso, etc. Go find out what kind of bands Bob Marley was in when he was younger, and see how he dressed.

Man, there is a difference, what does rhythm and blues actually describe? I wouldn't say that described soul music. Plus if we go by your line of thought that all music is rock n roll, then technically every single song is a hymn or tribel chant, as these were the first real forms of sung music, and I think if someone suggested that say Bob Dylan was RnB you'd find that stupid, yet you are quite happy to label Marvin Gaye rock n roll?