Author Topic: Is the U.S. really the most generous nation?  (Read 1169 times)

Suga Foot

Re: Is the U.S. really the most generous nation?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 08:20:10 PM »
isn't this a big reason why all the terrorist groups hate America (and the whole western world)?  Lots of people think that they hate 'freedom', but they've even said before that the western world needs to start spreading the wealth.  It seems like we've got endless amounts of money while there are countries with people who starve every day.  And to say it's not your problem is just selfish. 

Thirteen

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 09:37:02 PM »
isn't this a big reason why all the terrorist groups hate America (and the whole western world)?  Lots of people think that they hate 'freedom', but they've even said before that the western world needs to start spreading the wealth.  It seems like we've got endless amounts of money while there are countries with people who starve every day.  And to say it's not your problem is just selfish. 

wrong, look at iraq.... saddam collected a nice fortune off of the ills of his people, and he was never the victim of a terrorist attack

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 09:52:27 PM »
and how are americans the least generous when americans give the most money?

i'm going to be nice and point out now for the 3rd time that I was refering to government sponsored foreign aid.  This post has nothing to do with the amount of money U.S. citizens give away. 

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2004, 10:01:08 PM »
Heres what i dont get.

America started out as a poor nation, we had nothing, absolutely nothing. We progressed and became what we are today. What is stopping these other nations from doing the same.

Part of the reason is our current competitive advantage makes it impossible for them to compete, and the things they are good at we subsidize so they can't sell to us.  For example, many third world countries have an absolute advantage when it comes to farming.  They could sell us food and make a bundle of money, but they don't because we subsidize our farming industry.  We give government hand outs to farmers so they can compete with 3rd world farmers.  Also, in most industries we've developed competitive advantage to the point where they can't possibly compete without huge investments in capital, but since they are poor they cant easily afford those investments.  Finally, we don't let 3rd world countries protect their markets from foreign trade.  In other words, we prevent them from subsidizing their markets. 

These are economic explanations for why some countries are better off than others.  For a different, and more in depth, take on the issue check out Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393317552/qid=1103695302/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-5342276-9707832?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Jimmy Cash2120

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2004, 12:16:12 AM »
Part of the reason is our current competitive advantage makes it impossible for them to compete, and the things they are good at we subsidize so they can't sell to us.  For example, many third world countries have an absolute advantage when it comes to farming.  They could sell us food and make a bundle of money, but they don't because we subsidize our farming industry.  We give government hand outs to farmers so they can compete with 3rd world farmers.  Also, in most industries we've developed competitive advantage to the point where they can't possibly compete without huge investments in capital, but since they are poor they cant easily afford those investments.  Finally, we don't let 3rd world countries protect their markets from foreign trade.  In other words, we prevent them from subsidizing their markets. 

3rd world countries can't compeat in todays world, thats why they're 3rd world countries. the US should be helping industrialize the urban areas, not trying to improve a failing market

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2004, 05:30:32 AM »
Heres what i dont get.

America started out as a poor nation, we had nothing, absolutely nothing. We progressed and became what we are today. What is stopping these other nations from doing the same.

These are economic explanations for why some countries are better off than others.  For a different, and more in depth, take on the issue check out Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393317552/qid=1103695302/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-5342276-9707832?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
you hit it on the head there, farming is seen as a strategic industry to a country so if we had a war we need the farmers to be able to produce our food at home, however this is becoming less and less relivant with the increased communications and supply networks around the world yet the industrialised nations still subsidise this industsry and many others (america was the leading advocate of free trade after ww2 as it missed out of trading with countries within empires as they only sold inside the empire, now there lots of free trade but america still uses protectionism on its failing industries) The EU tried to scrap the Common Agricultural Policy a couple of years ago but it was the bloody french who wouldn't allow their one of the richest countries in europe and french farmers make the most out of the CAP basically goverments pay for food to be left in a barn and rott away to keep farmers profictable but what this also does is create a culture of over producing because you know all going to get baught up and 3rd world farmers stuggle to get into many markets because they are being countries are hugely subsiding their innefficient farmers.

In this new world order we are in now britain no longer has a formal empire, but when we did we had special trading agreements where trade within the empire was always given preference and the gap between the 1st world and the 3rd world was much smaller, even after independence these we carried on until we joined the EEC where obligations to europe meant we had to place a tarrif on those countries outside of europe.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Thirteen

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2004, 08:09:20 AM »
and how are americans the least generous when americans give the most money?

i'm going to be nice and point out now for the 3rd time that I was refering to government sponsored foreign aid.  This post has nothing to do with the amount of money U.S. citizens give away. 

then you should really change the title of the thread because it makes no sense, we happen to be the most generous nation no matter how many different ways you want to mix generous and nation up

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2004, 02:23:56 PM »
the usa as a whole gives alot. if the government doesnt give alot than o well. we have habitat for humanity. we give alot to the red cross.alot of money. if the government doesnt give owell the population will. plus there isnt an international law that says 1st world countries have to give to 3rd world contries.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2004, 08:47:16 PM »
Well technically America doesnt have to give shit to anyone, so they should be glad that were giving something.

Absolutely. 3rd World countries don't need money; they need an industrial revolution.

You need an education
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2004, 08:54:42 PM »
Well technically America doesnt have to give shit to anyone, so they should be glad that were giving something.

Absolutely. 3rd World countries don't need money; they need an industrial revolution.

You need an education
well they do need an industrial revolution. that would help them become a "developed" country
i dont see why he needs an education

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2004, 03:11:41 PM »
Do you or Mauzipper have any fuckin idea what Industrial Revolution means? Or do u think its this magical process that happens as soon as a certain people become civilized, and voila...they are developed nations.

To think a series of events in Europe in the 19th century is across the board applicable in the third world today is retarded, and suggests that the person making this statement needs an education
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2004, 05:02:51 PM »
no they need to start getting people to start to come in and build factories. i realize that we alredy have factories in some countries and they hacent had thier revolution. but the need factories, more factories. if they have more factories than the people who own them should reinvest the money into the community. i do realize this has a low chance of people willing to reinvest, but if that were to happen then they might have a chance. if they were to create their own industries than they will have more a chance. they do need to work harder because they missed when england and the us were having it. so there is a real small chance than they might do it.

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2004, 09:12:34 PM »
no they need to start getting people to start to come in and build factories. i realize that we alredy have factories in some countries and they hacent had thier revolution. but the need factories, more factories. if they have more factories than the people who own them should reinvest the money into the community. i do realize this has a low chance of people willing to reinvest, but if that were to happen then they might have a chance. if they were to create their own industries than they will have more a chance. they do need to work harder because they missed when england and the us were having it. so there is a real small chance than they might do it.

dude, i appreciate that fact that you are at least fairly polite, but what your saying really makes very little sense.  just building factories is not the answer to the third world problem.  its not like we're playing Sim City, just throw in some industrial zones, and your city starts developing.  i'm not going to get into the specifics on why this issue is so complicated mainly because i think my explanation would fall on def ears, but if you would like to understand the issue more a decent book is linked below:

Globalization and Its Discontents by Joseph Stiglitz
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393324397/qid=1103865149/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-5342276-9707832?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

another supposedly good book, but I haven't read is:

The Mystery of Capitalism by Hernando de Soto
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0465016154/ref=pd_sim_b_4/103-5342276-9707832?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

de Soto's book has been called "a blueprint for a new industrial revolution" and his work has been highly praised by most recent republican presidents including Nixon, Reagan, and Bush I. 

You can actually read the first chapter of the book here: http://www.ild.org.pe/eng/mystery_english.htm   de Soto is founder and president of the ILD http://www.ild.org.pe/home.htm
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 09:21:44 PM by Ant »

Thirteen

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2004, 09:44:45 PM »

dude, i appreciate that fact that you are at least fairly polite, but what your saying really makes very little sense.  just building factories is not the answer to the third world problem.  its not like we're playing Sim City, just throw in some industrial zones, and your city starts developing.  i'm not going to get into the specifics on why this issue is so complicated mainly because i think my explanation would fall on def ears, but if you would like to understand the issue more a decent book is linked below:

Globalization and Its Discontents by Joseph Stiglitz
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393324397/qid=1103865149/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-5342276-9707832?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

another supposedly good book, but I haven't read is:

The Mystery of Capitalism by Hernando de Soto
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0465016154/ref=pd_sim_b_4/103-5342276-9707832?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

de Soto's book has been called "a blueprint for a new industrial revolution" and his work has been highly praised by most recent republican presidents including Nixon, Reagan, and Bush I. 

You can actually read the first chapter of the book here: http://www.ild.org.pe/eng/mystery_english.htm   de Soto is founder and president of the ILD http://www.ild.org.pe/home.htm

huh huh huh sim city's cool huh huh huh

rafsta

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2004, 07:24:10 AM »
i agree with ant... America sucks balls, money always affects their decisions, american govt. is the greediest in the world... they may do good for the world, but the good they do 98% of the time has double meanings, they benefit either way... FUCK U.S.A AND the individuals there... ive met 4 Americans, all arrogant fucks, iggnorant think they shit diont stick...

FUCK ALL OF U.S.A Everylast one of you, FUCK YA !!!!!!!