Author Topic: Who here bumped Chronic when it CAME OUT in 92?  (Read 621 times)

S.G.V.

Re: Who here bumped Chronic when it CAME OUT in 92
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2002, 12:48:31 PM »
though i was 8 i didnt i have money...my brother was 12 and my cousin bought it for him...we bumped that shit for ever...we had it on tape though...same with doggystyle...i never got chronic on cd until about 97...as for doggystyle im still to have it on cd...ill get it one day though...ive heard it so much that it doesnt even matter....regulate...i never was really into warren g...its not a landmark album for me...i think its his best by far but its not a big album...oh and og quik...ur a youngster...i thought u were older...lol...need to change that name to BG QUIK

CWalker187

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2002, 02:50:26 PM »
The youngsters here probably have no idea about the kind of hype there was behind Doggystyle before it was released. It has not been matched sinced. The amazing thing is that it actually surpassed the hype!!!!!

Where I live, the local ghetto record store opened at midnight the day Doggystyle came out.....and there were so many people they ended up running out of copies.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

topdogg187

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2002, 05:30:23 PM »
The youngsters here probably have no idea about the kind of hype there was behind Doggystyle before it was released. It has not been matched sinced. The amazing thing is that it actually surpassed the hype!!!!!

Where I live, the local ghetto record store opened at midnight the day Doggystyle came out.....and there were so many people they ended up running out of copies.

oh hell yeah nigga that shit ran out like crazy and the riaa still got doggystyle at 5x platinum  ::) i'm 99% sure it has sold 8 million and counting.

Trauma-san

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2002, 05:44:57 PM »
Yeah, I did, it was amazing at the time... people don't realize how big Snoop was, they think he was just like he is now... but man, Snoop at 1 time, was MUCH bigger than Jay Z or anybody else out right now could hope to be.  He was so main stream it was rediculous, he was on the news, old grannies knew his name, he was huge huge huge.  He was probably the biggest star in all of music for a little while, when doggystyle had been out a few months.  You had Dre, Snoop, and Ice Cube all dropping just straight classic, classic stuff all over the radio, then pac came in... it was really great.  That's kinda why I've moved away from rap a little bit now, it's just nowhere near as good, and it's sad.  I wanna go back to those days when it was just AMAZING to hear music.  Eminem was the only one close, recently... his second album had a couple spots that when it came out, was amazing for a little while... you just wanted to know what he was doing next.  There's nobody doing that right now, I don't think.  

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2002, 05:55:21 PM »
The Chronic era was heaven for a West Coast head. MTV was riding Dre and Snoop's penises so hard with specials, performances and their videos being played every damn 30 minutes. BET's Rap City played West Coast videos from the mainstream and underground artists. They even had Volume 10 in regular rotation! All thanks to the influence of The Chronic. Gang violence increased and wanna-be's popped up everywhere trying to be Snoop [see HBO Special: Bangin' In Little Rock]. Fools were rocking flannels in Omaha. Everyone copied Dre's "whistle-synth" sound [see "Big Poppa", "I Seen A Man Die", etc.]. You had East Coast videos with lo-lo's in them and even they were rocking Ben Davis and flannels [see Onyx]. Even hip hop clothing designers incorporated the West Coast style into their clothes. I had a gang of flannel shirts that Karl Kani included into his collection. Snoop was as large as Eminem is now if you compare the timelines because hip hop wasn't as widespread back then. 800,000 copies in the first week back in '93 was equally as phenomenal as pushing 1.7 million in '00. FUCK SOMEONE BUILD A TIME MACHINE! Y'all got me reminiscing!

Trauma-san

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2002, 06:03:51 PM »
I'd say snoop was probably even BIGGER than Eminem for a short while, but it kinda died down a lot quicker than Eminem has, with 3 solid albums to push him, where snoop only had Doggystyle and the Chronic stuff.  

First time I ever saw Snoop, was MTV had a sing-along version of Deep Cover with words at the bottom of the screen.  I was like "Man" and we bought the chronic like that week and played it at the pool all summer while we swam and played and crap.  I was only 13.  

Tha_Reverend

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2002, 06:44:55 PM »
I was only 8 at the time.  My bro was always bumpin Eazy E and shit like that.  Never really heard the Chronic till later.  Makes me mad. lol.  yeah what got me into rap was Dogg Food.  That's when I started giving it a real listen.  My cuz was always bumpin it.   I loved it.  Of course I was still kind of young and didn't have enough money to buy my own shit.  So I bought some blank tapes and recorded that shit.  And what put me over the top as far as Hip Hop goes, was ALL EYEZ ON ME.  That did it.  I was hooked fo life.  Recorded that shit on tape too.

-Tha Rev

Pimplegionär

• 'G'
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2002, 02:08:25 AM »
word to trauma !!!

that`s so true what u sayin` the youngsters don`t realize how big snoop was in 92 - 93.
At that time " nuthin`but a g thang " got a lot of play on mtv,
i just wanted to buy the single of it , didn`t know anything about snoop or dre just liked that song.
The single was sold out so i bought the chronic.

But dre and snoop were really big , it was the first time that
gangsta rap had such an international commercial success.

And after the chronic, snoops solo album was the most anticipated rap album for all hip-hop heads over the globe.
when " doggystyle " was released it was sold like no rap album
before. snoop was real mighty at that time
Westcoast4ever

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2002, 03:00:16 PM »
This was my first album...got it in '93
Remember the hype of Nuthin' But A "G" Thang on MTV

Ahhh the memories