Author Topic: Mos Def  (Read 366 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Mos Def
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2005, 05:43:54 PM »

Rock is Black music. Besides, he didn't just do Rock, it was more Blues/Soul than anything.

When Dre and Warren G started producing the G-Funk sound that was innovative.  

Go pick up some some old 70s funk records and then tell me Dre was innovative.

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2005, 05:45:13 PM »
Do you feel that Mos Def should continue in his current direction (not just Hip-Hop but combining different elements of Rock, R&B, and Blues) or go back to his old style of just strictly rapping?

Personally I feel he should continue his growth as an artist. I feel that Mos could definetly be up there with music greats if he continues to release albums venturing into new territories. If he were to release 4-5 more albums over a number of years displaying the growth of The New Danger album I would be happy. However if he goes to back to rapping he'll be another rapper that eventually goes into relative obscurity.

No way!  That shows how racist society is whenever a black artist starts doing rock music they call it growth.  I don't consider it growth, it's borderline selling out.  He came up with a plan at his record label to attract alternative fans to his music.
give me a fuckin break. Its dumbasses like you that keep stereotypes going. Stop tryin to label shit and just listen to the music.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2005, 05:57:29 PM »
hip hop hasnt really been inovative for some time... maybe an album here and there, but...
hip hop hasnt really been inovative for some time... maybe an album here and there, but...

You mean that commercial hip-hop hasn't been innovative. Commercial hip-hop is dead, but there's always some cat on the underground somewhere that is trying something new.
ok, so gimi some examples over the past 2-3 years...

MANBEARPIG.

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2005, 06:05:34 PM »

You mean that commercial hip-hop hasn't been innovative.  Commercial hip-hop is dead, but there's always some cat on the underground somewhere that is trying something new.

if there is always some cat undergground trying something new and u give him props how come it cant be the same for a commercial artist to try soemthing new?  HYPOCRIT! You say Mos borderline sold out by making the New Danger to what you would call "white music" and because it isnt the same shit hes stuck to he's sold out for expanding his fan base.  If you want to talk about race music ROck is not white it's black, it comes froom roots of Jazz and african rythm.  Infinte you are a fuckin uneducated hypocrit if u believe Mos sold out witht he New Danger please remove his quote from your sig.

-KIDRENEGADE-

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2005, 06:20:12 PM »
to say that mos sold out with this record is some dumb shit

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2005, 06:30:59 PM »

if there is always some cat undergground trying something new and u give him props how come it cant be the same for a commercial artist to try soemthing new?  HYPOCRIT! You say Mos borderline sold out by making the New Danger to what you would call "white music" and because it isnt the same shit hes stuck to he's sold out for expanding his fan base.  If you want to talk about race music ROck is not white it's black, it comes froom roots of Jazz and african rythm.  Infinte you are a fuckin uneducated hypocrit if u believe Mos sold out witht he New Danger please remove his quote from your sig.

^^^^ This coming from someone who is bumpin Camron... ("Hey Mama Cita, Horse and Carriage")
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

MANBEARPIG.

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2005, 06:38:53 PM »

^^^^ This coming from someone who is bumpin Camron... ("Hey Mama Cita, Horse and Carriage")

^^^^^This coming from someone who reads the works of Ibn Battuta :grumpy:....

-KIDRENEGADE-

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2005, 09:46:24 PM »
Please try and refrain from beefing in my thread. This is an interesting topic, I'm reading lots of different views.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

eKardz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I bleed red white and blue, I am a New York Ranger
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2005, 09:55:55 PM »
i am going to a mos def show this saturday at my college.  he is coming to my campus in boston, northeastern university.  i dont know much about him i just know a little bit of black on both sides, and i like his voice.  is there anything i should check out before the show and would you guys recommend a live show with him since im not familiar?  The rest of the show is less than jake and moby,  not too happy with the selection.

ColdManey

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2005, 02:13:26 AM »
I like that Mos dont limit himself. Black On Both Sides had a few cuts where he was experimenting with some rock and r&b/jazz type singing and those were some of the best songs on the album. I like his non rap material, but I really hope he continues to put out rap albums as well.

I dont get how anybody can say he sold out just because he's doin somethin besides rap wether its another form of black music (yes rock was derived from jazz & blues and also invented by black artists) or even if it was a fuckin classical album. Artists do what the fuck they want. I think it would be sellin out to not do what you wanted to do as an artist. Real talk.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2005, 11:26:46 AM »
I liked what Mos was doing with The New Danger, the album wasn't executed quite as well as it could have been, but overall I really enjoyed the album. I would like to see him continue to experiment, just because I don't feel he would be happy just doing straight hiphop tracks, and therefore they wouldn't be up to the standard of his old material anyway. He's obviously grown as an artist (and probably as a person) between BOBS and the New Danger and this is reflected in him bringing elements of other genres into his music.