Author Topic: U2 is just amazing  (Read 586 times)

ctark

• Lil Geezy
Re: U2 is just amazing
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2005, 11:20:11 AM »
If i remember correctly pick up the year 2000 edition of rolling stone mag... i think they were voted band of the century.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2005, 11:37:25 AM »
of the 90s? how about oasis and nirvana, and thats just to start of, those are easy 1s, id take red hot chili peppers over them... who else, mm

SlickPants

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2005, 01:29:55 PM »
yeah, and what about soundgarden, incubus, rage against the machine?  i'm not huge into rock shit, but there's a lot of way better shit than U2.  i tend to agree with bono's principles but he comes off as a washed up, arrogant douche.

Doggystylin

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2005, 01:33:49 PM »
ok who gives a fuck, thats all just a matter of opinion, you guys are like a bunch of kids, no way u2 isnt the best, oasis is the best, nooooo u2 is better...who cares, each person has a different opinion. Why can't you guys just discuss their music instead of comparing them to every other rock band.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2005, 03:34:38 PM »
ok who gives a fuck, thats all just a matter of opinion, you guys are like a bunch of kids, no way u2 isnt the best, oasis is the best, nooooo u2 is better...who cares, each person has a different opinion. Why can't you guys just discuss their music instead of comparing them to every other rock band.

*applauds*

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2005, 07:34:05 PM »
of the 90s? how about oasis and nirvana, and thats just to start of, those are easy 1s, id take red hot chili peppers over them... who else, mm

Oasis only really had one solid album, and a couple okay ones in my opinion. No way would I consider Oasis better than U2 in the grand scheme of things. Nirvana was the most overrated fucking band ever. I like them and all but the praise they get is disgusting. Rollingstone even named Cobain a top 20 guitarist of all time. That right there shows what a fucking bias people have towards them. Pearl Jam was way better than Nirvana and sold more records but they don't even get half the recognition. As annoying as Bono's lectures can be there still way more endurable than either Galagher's foolish rants, or Cobain stupid "philosophies".

That being said I would never consider U2 as one of the best ever, but they certainly deserve more credit than most of this board gives them. Same goes for the Stones (who don't get much love on this board either).

Of course the most ignorant award has to go to Rollingstone magazine's voters, who added 50 more artists to their top 50, making it a top 100, and even though I was already very disappointed with this band not making the top 50, I was almost livid to see them not make the top 100. How does a list that puts Dr Dre at number 54 all time, and Eminem at 82 all time, not include Pink Floyd. PINK FUCKING FLOYD is not considered a top 100 artist when Madonna makes the top 40, and the NWA (who isn't a 1/100 the group Floyd was) gets mentioned as well. I think any one who votes for the list should have to prove him or her self by taking a competence test to prove they actually know about other types of music. Otherwise you get ignorant lists. There obviously wasn't much Country knowledge among the voters since Radio Head and the Temptations beat out Hank Williams.

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2005, 09:31:08 PM »
well for 1, fuck rolling stones, and that pink floyd shit is wild, they are my 3rd fav band. and i know nirvana is overated as fuck, but, their impact is bigger than their skill

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2005, 07:04:05 AM »
well for 1, fuck rolling stones, and that pink floyd shit is wild, they are my 3rd fav band. and i know nirvana is overated as fuck, but, their impact is bigger than their skill

What's wrong with the Stones? How much have you heard by them?

As for Nirvana their impact is only so big because the media hyped them up more than the other alternative bands. Pearl Jam could have just as easily been hyped like that. They're albums were just as good if not not better and sold just as good if not better. Cobain was baby. He complained about fame but he always had something to say when the camera was on. Vedder was just as big a star at one point but he decided he didn't like the fame and refused to do promotional tours, videos, etc. What happened was Pearl Jam becoming less popular but music was just as good. Why couldn't Kurt have done the same thing Eddy did? Instead he goes and kills himself because he loves the attention and the media treats it like Jesus just died on the cross one more time.

The bottom line is Pearl Jam, the Pumpkins, the Peppers, and maybe even Soundgarden, Offspring or Green Day had just as big an impact as Nirvana on music, both business wise and music wise, but the media fails to point that out, and what we have now are a bunch of kids who don't remember the era through their eyes and just take the media's word for it.

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2005, 08:28:48 AM »
O lol, before hand, i ment the magazine, i really like the stones, but , i do think they arent THAT amazing, but better than U2 :) , thats for sure...

TheDeli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2005, 11:25:11 AM »
U2 seemed to have lost it imo, Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum, & Achtung Baby  are all great albums this was the period when U2 were at their peak and without a doubt one of the best bands in the world, all the other albums haven't lived up to the hype that surrounds the band, they are a good band live as they do know how to put on a great show

Nirvana was the most overrated fucking band ever. I like them and all but the praise they get is disgusting.

Totally agree with that, imo they had a good album in nevermind but the rest were nothing special, but I don't like the whole 'grunge' music scene.

Oasis are a good band that could be likened to U2 they have had a few good albums and the rest have been poor but continue to sell & they could sell out almost anywhere that they play live.  Oasis had one of the best debut albums by a band in recent times and this was followed up by a very good second album, the rest of the albums after this have imo became worse, although the upcoming album is meant to be a good one & one that Noel himself is meant to be pleased with.  Oasis's B-sides album was imo better than all of their albums apart from the 1st 2 & almost as good as their 2nd album.  Time will tell if Oasis will be reckoned to be bigger/better/as big as U2 but U have brought out 14 albums so Oasis have time on their hands if you want to compare them equal

Rolling Stones are another great band, infact if you want a good rock band your better checking out the UK, rock bands from the UK seem to sell better around the world and do tend to be better.  :P

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2005, 11:49:20 AM »
O lol, before hand, i ment the magazine, i really like the stones, but , i do think they arent THAT amazing, but better than U2 :) , thats for sure...

Well, no band is as good as some people claim the Stones are, but that doesn't mean they weren't once a very great band. (I'm not saying you said they weren't).

As for the magazine, it's still the number 1 over all music magazine you can find. It's lists could use some work, but it's not the magazines fault that some of the voters they pick are idiots. The album rating section is still maybe the most prestigious in the mainstream world when it comes to 5 our of 5. If any album gets that rating it still really means something. They may have spoken to soon on some albums, but Rollingstone hasn't completely ruined themselves like The Source has. Not yet anyway.

wilz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2005, 02:20:48 PM »
U2 biggest (best) band in the world

[img]

dexter

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2005, 09:56:27 AM »
FUCK Pinky Floyd

Doggystylin

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2005, 11:31:37 AM »
I make a thread about U2 and just about every other rock band gets mentioned, shows you how hip hop fans discuss rock, its all just one big blur to them.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2005, 03:03:07 PM »
I make a thread about U2 and just about every other rock band gets mentioned, shows you how hip hop fans discuss rock, its all just one big blur to them.

Actually, it gradually turned to talk about other bands. Going off topic happens in every thread. It has nothing to do with our lack of respect for rock. I hardly ever listen to rap anymore.