Author Topic: Top 5 Greatest Rock Bands Ever?  (Read 291 times)

Mindless Minority

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • England on Tour
Re: Top 5 Greatest Rock Bands Ever?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 03:12:49 AM »
1. The Beatles
2. The Beach Boys
3. The Who
4. Oasis
5. The Kinks

Or at least something like that I guess. 5 years time Arctic Monkeys will be in the list. Honourable mention to Stone Roses, Queen, Rolling Stones, The Doors, Beautiful South, Byrds, Fleetwood Mac, Crowded House (are they classed as Rock?) R.E.M etc.
Well she moved in ways
That kept her there in our minds for days
Weeks and months it was
I was that amazed and there she stays
Surrounded by the what-ifs and the maybes

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 04:47:28 AM »
It's too hard to make a top 5. Here are some bands i really like from 60's and on

Pink Floyd
The Doors
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Beatles
Cream
David Bowie
Led Zeppelin
Queen
Radiohead
Portishead
Nirvana
Metallica
Carlos Santana's Band
Deep Purple
Mike Patton's Bands (Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Fantomas)
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

Jip

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2005, 08:52:25 AM »
queen
queen
queen
queen
and
queen

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2005, 09:01:37 AM »
^lol you spelled some of the bands names wrong, and c'mon man the police better than AC/DC? and the band a top 5 band of all time in the 60's? but it's all good man, if you really listen to that stuff you got some good taste.

What names did I misspell?

I never liked AC/DC as much in the 80s as the Police. Back in Black was great, but a lot of their 80s stuff was so similar. Their home run albums are in the 70s with Scott. Police, while not many, had some very grerat albums in the 80s. Keep in mind this was the shit decade.

I never listed a top 5 all time. My 60s bands were just that; my top 5 of the 60s, not all time. I don't think there's anything wrong with my 5. I never really saw Jimi's band as a group, and just see it as Jimi. He had some great players behind him but it was marketed using him and him alone. Otherwise I would have added Dylan and the Band, and Springsteen and the E Street Band. Maybe even Neil Young with Crazy Horse. But I see all the albums by those artists as solo efforts.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2005, 10:57:17 AM »
^ Sly´s a bit of a difficult case IMO. I mean, I´m not denying you could refer to it as rock, but it really isn´t what i´d associate with a "rock band", or with that term respectively

I do agree with you in ways. I don't tend to seperate music into genres very effectively. For example, I noticed you but Jimi on your list, but he could easily be considered a Blues artist, as could Zeppelin be seen as a Blues or Metal band as opposed to Rock. The Doors as well had many Blues elements. Music is music to me.
I agree 100% on that last sentence of yours. But in a way, hiphop is rock´n´roll, too. Since this topic as such is impossible to contribute to without classifying and seperating into genres, you´re forced to draw a line somewhere. For that reason, I wouldn´t have thought as ´far´ as Sly or Parliament, etc, but I´m not trying to say you´re ´wrong´

for me
1- oasis
2- chilli peppers
3- u2
4 - nirvana
5 - um... cant think

Pearl Jam was better than Nirvana do they could be in the top 5. Pumpkins were great too.
Pearl Jam was the better band, technically, but I enjoy listening to Nirvana´s stuff more, I´m just feeling it more. The catchiness and the atmosphere of some of Nirvana´s material is unparalleled in grunge IMO, even with competition like "Ten". You are responsible for that quote i had in my sig for a while, keep that in mind :)

And as for Nirvana, Jake, what are they credited for that they didn´t do? Elaborate music? Well, they did not make that. Good music? IMO their music was genius, everybody who ever touched a guitar is capable of playing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or "Come As You Are", yet that stuff is atmospheric, catchy and just plain dope. That´s magnificent IMO...and yes, they did speak to a generation, but I think they do get credit for that as well, Kurt at least

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2005, 11:06:49 AM »
^ Sly´s a bit of a difficult case IMO. I mean, I´m not denying you could refer to it as rock, but it really isn´t what i´d associate with a "rock band", or with that term respectively

I do agree with you in ways. I don't tend to seperate music into genres very effectively. For example, I noticed you but Jimi on your list, but he could easily be considered a Blues artist, as could Zeppelin be seen as a Blues or Metal band as opposed to Rock. The Doors as well had many Blues elements. Music is music to me.
I agree 100% on that last sentence of yours. But in a way, hiphop is rock´n´roll, too. Since this topic as such is impossible to contribute to without classifying and seperating into genres, you´re forced to draw a line somewhere. For that reason, I wouldn´t have thought as ´far´ as Sly or Parliament, etc, but I´m not trying to say you´re ´wrong´

for me
1- oasis
2- chilli peppers
3- u2
4 - nirvana
5 - um... cant think

Pearl Jam was better than Nirvana do they could be in the top 5. Pumpkins were great too.
Pearl Jam was the better band, technically, but I enjoy listening to Nirvana´s stuff more, I´m just feeling it more. The catchiness and the atmosphere of some of Nirvana´s material is unparalleled in grunge IMO, even with competition like "Ten". You are responsible for that quote i had in my sig for a while, keep that in mind :)

And as for Nirvana, Jake, what are they credited for that they didn´t do? Elaborate music? Well, they did not make that. Good music? IMO their music was genius, everybody who ever touched a guitar is capable of playing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or "Come As You Are", yet that stuff is atmospheric, catchy and just plain dope. That´s magnificent IMO...and yes, they did speak to a generation, but I think they do get credit for that as well, Kurt at least

I never meant to downplay Nirvana. I just think Pearl Jam is better. Not just technically, but musically. Ten was one of their worst albums IMO, and it was amazing. What bothers me about Nirvana is all the extra attention they get since the suicide. I mean Pearl Jam, and Peppers sold morer records, maybe even the pumpkins too, but Nirvana is mentioned in such a higher regard like they were te only band of the time. It's all propaganda. Not that they weren't good, but they were not bigger than the other bands at that time. History just chooses to remember them that way.

I have no problem with someone liking Nirvana's music better.

Milk Man

• Lil Geezy
  • Original Hustler
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2005, 11:10:17 AM »
What about Kiss ?

The Dream Team

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2005, 01:50:40 PM »
What about Kiss ?

they were known for their concerts
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2005, 02:58:12 PM »
Shallow, I´m too young to judge what it was like back in ´90-´93...but i do still think "Nevermind" deserves the exaltation, although I agree absolutely that suicide/death turning stars into legends and fans into worshippers is a phenomenon I don´t like either and I´m well aware of it

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2005, 03:50:01 PM »
Shallow, I´m too young to judge what it was like back in ´90-´93...but i do still think "Nevermind" deserves the exaltation, although I agree absolutely that suicide/death turning stars into legends and fans into worshippers is a phenomenon I don´t like either and I´m well aware of it

Well just take a look at the sales. I was around and while Curt was huge, so was Eddy, and Kiedes, as well as Corgan.

Ten went 11 platinum
Vs went 7 platinum with no singles or videos
Vitalogy went 5 well after they stopped promting there work

Pre Death Nirvana
Nevermind was 5 platinum, later hit 10
In Utero was 2 platinum, later hit 5
and Unplugged went 5 platinum after Death
all the other releases never went multi platinum

If they were the bigger band then why did they sell less. Nirvana off their best 3 went 20 platinum post death, 7 platinukm pre death, while PJ went 23 platinum with no reason outside the music to buy. Now I'm not saying Pearl Jam was way bigger because given time Nirvana still could have sold a lot anyway, but history barely even mentions Jam while Nirvana gets all the credit for a Seatle sound that was around well before Nevermind.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2005, 04:15:33 AM »
^^ has to be mentioned, Nirvana already had their sound, if a bit different on "Bleach" in ´89. There are more bands like the Wipers, Mission of Burma or even the great Sonic Youth that get too little credit for what they contributed to the formation of this music style. I think looking at it from that angle it´s more like Nirvana get too much credit than like Pearl Jam get too little. but i believe your stats, i know "Ten" sold a lot

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2005, 08:44:13 AM »
^^ has to be mentioned, Nirvana already had their sound, if a bit different on "Bleach" in ´89. There are more bands like the Wipers, Mission of Burma or even the great Sonic Youth that get too little credit for what they contributed to the formation of this music style. I think looking at it from that angle it´s more like Nirvana get too much credit than like Pearl Jam get too little. but i believe your stats, i know "Ten" sold a lot

I agree with you. I'm not trying to argue that Pearl Jam should get all the credit. If they did I'd be complaining the same way. The Seatle sound was there before both bands ever formed. What I was arguing when it came to Nirvana vs Pearl Jam was the fame each had, and Pearl Jam was a slighlty bigger band main stream than Nirvana was. Not much bigger, but a little. While Curt was getting into public arguments with Axl Rose and marrying Courtney Love, Eddy was this sex symbol type figure for teenage girls, which escalated with reports of Shannon Doherty urging to meet him but getting turned away. What Eddy had that Curt didn't was the desire to make the music more important than the image. Curt complained about fame but he was full of shit. Eddy easily turned his mega star image into a distant memory by staying off TV, and not making music videos. After 2 albums of that the Pearl Jam fans that remained were only the most devout and all the fad fans disappeared. He kept his mouth shut for a few years and Pearl Jam faded away while still making some of their best music. Eddy Vedder can easily walk down the street and not be noticed or even remembered by the common person. Kurt Cobain could have done the exact same thing. Instead he played into the spotlight with his pretentious interviews, public feuds, wacky relationship, and high profile suicide attempts. Then he kills himself and leaves this holier than thou suicide note. He was a glutton for attention, and that's why it was so hard for him. He wanted to have his cake and eat it too, while Eddy gladly took the cake back and snacked on a cookie instead.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2005, 09:54:06 AM »
btw i completely forget radiohead, def 1 of bet of 90s

-Euthanasia-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2005, 10:10:52 AM »
i like the white stripes. and def leppard had some bangers