Author Topic: ACDC out sells Michael Jackson Eagles beat thriller album in sales  (Read 654 times)

MidoriHaze

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: ACDC out sells Michael Jackson Eagles beat thriller album in sales
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2005, 02:44:47 PM »

But he should outsell them as far as per album goes. Don't you get what I mean? He had the machine behind him the whole way. How many big time videos did AC/DC have? How many NBC premieres did their record label pay for? Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jim Carrey make more monet per movie than Johnny Depp or Dustin Hoffman, does that mean anything other than the latter two didn't get the main stream attention as the former? Maybe in your world Arnie is better than Johnny Depp, who knows?

Yer i know what you mean. They weren't really cared for up until around the 1978 period, Rolling Stone labeled them as just a bunch of rude Australian's after High Voltage was released and Dirty Deads Done Dirt Cheap was banned for 5years in the US up until 1981.

The fact that ACDC made 11 more albums than Jackson, shows a bit more dedication towards to making music i think
"People in New York won't bug you. It's so great." - John Lennon (RIP)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2005, 03:10:34 PM »

when you look at the sales for thriller a big chunk of the sales were from its initial release all the way to 85-86' ......which is fucking pheonominal don't get me wrong, but "Back in Black" and "led zeppelin IV" are selling consistantly through out the years if you look at the time of their releases they were double platnum selling albums, 5 years later 5 times platnum 10 years later 11 times, and ect. they just keep on selling.

How does that change the numbers, though?  As it stands now, like I said, Michael has sold more if you factor in the amount of albums involved, it's cut and dry.  I could give a fuck when they sold what, that's not the point.  The point was the way the thing is written is misleading. 

The point he was trying to make was that Led Zeppelin 4 and Back in Black based on their pace should be at the top of the list in the future because MJ is slowing down compared to them. Also, Zep has less albums than Jackson and they're way ahead.

lol you really seem to be obsessed with puttin down MJ and what he achieved. First you say certain artists sold more than him, you get proven wrong / your point irrelevant, then you turn around and say sales don't mean shit cause MJ got way better promotion ? make up your mind before you try to hate next time

I'm not hating on anything. I sate the obvious when it comes to MJ's sucess and I state my opinion when it comes to his talent. I was never proven wrong. AC/DC has sold a higher total of albums in the US than MJ. This is a fact. I never said MJ has alower avergae per album.

We're not talking about personal opinion, we're just talking about fact.  The entire post is about fact, the factual data concerning album sales.  I could talk to you until I'm blue in the face about who's better or who had more promotion or who had bigger videos or blah blah whatever the fuck, but that's all irrelevant.  I showed you that your bullshit numbers were fucked up, and then you move the goalposts... maybe something like that would work with an amateur, but since you're dealing with a legend, you should try something a little more concrete next time you want to try to bullshit somebody. 

But promotion and more album sales go hand in hand dummy. That was my point. Who's to say how much more AC/DC could have sold with the proper company promoting them or how much less MJ would have sold if he stayed on Motown?

My bullshit number are not 1)fucked up, and 2)not even mine they're RIAA's and I didn't even post them. I told you to add the motown stuff and the Jackson 5 stuff and that is 25+ albums while AC/DC has as you said 19 albums. You lose no matter how you slice it.

W-Side

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2005, 03:29:54 PM »

lol you really seem to be obsessed with puttin down MJ and what he achieved. First you say certain artists sold more than him, you get proven wrong / your point irrelevant, then you turn around and say sales don't mean shit cause MJ got way better promotion ? make up your mind before you try to hate next time

I'm not hating on anything. I sate the obvious when it comes to MJ's sucess and I state my opinion when it comes to his talent. I was never proven wrong. AC/DC has sold a higher total of albums in the US than MJ. This is a fact. I never said MJ has alower avergae per album.

that's why I said "/ your point [is proven] irrelevant"

you mentioned MJ's old albums to discredit the point that was brought up about him selling more units per album but what you mentioned didn't make a difference so you came back saying that's only cause of his promotion which doesn't have anything to do with that point at all.

You do seem a lil bitter when it comes to MJ (not only in this thread)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2005, 03:34:17 PM »

that's why I said "/ your point [is proven] irrelevant"

you mentioned MJ's old albums to discredit the point that was brought up about him selling more units per album but what you mentioned didn't make a difference so you came back saying that's only cause of his promotion which doesn't have anything to do with that point at all.

You do seem a lil bitter when it comes to MJ (not only in this thread)

Yeah the but difference in sales isn't so drastic. I mentioned the promotion because it has a lot do with the sales.

But you if you add the Jackson 5 stuff it does make a difference. I'm not bitter on MJ, I'm bitter on Trauma because he lusts for MJ sexually. I think MJ is a good artist with good songs and good talent. I just don't think he is above and beyond all other artists and I certainly don't think he is any kind of genius. Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton were geniuses. Michael Jackson? Just a musician with nice looking dance moves.

W-Side

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2005, 03:51:05 PM »
Yeah the but difference in sales isn't so drastic. I mentioned the promotion because it has a lot do with the sales.

But you if you add the Jackson 5 stuff it does make a difference. I'm not bitter on MJ, I'm bitter on Trauma because he lusts for MJ sexually. I think MJ is a good artist with good songs and good talent. I just don't think he is above and beyond all other artists and I certainly don't think he is any kind of genius. Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton were geniuses. Michael Jackson? Just a musician with nice looking dance moves.

well those are totally different things, let's talk about musical geniuses, MJ would have to be one. Ain't no denying that his singin is great, nobody got his singin style (goin from the softest to the hardest), nobody's making them sounds he makes with his mouth and it all fits perfectly. There's too much different music to consider any single artist the best but he's amongst the best, not just "good", that's evident imo.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2005, 04:01:33 PM »
I really don't consider musical genius as genius. I guess a guy like Beethoven coiuld be considered as such since he wrote music with out being able to hear it, and Mozart gets more than his share of acclaim, but when I think of genius I think of inventing a machine that allows a man to fly, or calculating the circumference of the earth using a pole and a shadow cast by the sun, not writing catchy tunes that the world loves to dance to, or writing lyrics that connect with people in a personal way.

P.S. Freddie Mercury sang a lot like MJ (before MJ), and James Brown, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Little Richard made some nice noises from their mouths too. He's good none the less, maybe even great but when he gets over praised, when anyone gets over praised, I take it upon myself to bring a little balance to the discussion. I may seem to bash MJ here because off all the praise he gets but amongst people that call him absolute shit I'll appear to praise him.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2005, 11:52:29 PM »

when you look at the sales for thriller a big chunk of the sales were from its initial release all the way to 85-86' ......which is fucking pheonominal don't get me wrong, but "Back in Black" and "led zeppelin IV" are selling consistantly through out the years if you look at the time of their releases they were double platnum selling albums, 5 years later 5 times platnum 10 years later 11 times, and ect. they just keep on selling.

How does that change the numbers, though?  As it stands now, like I said, Michael has sold more if you factor in the amount of albums involved, it's cut and dry.  I could give a fuck when they sold what, that's not the point.  The point was the way the thing is written is misleading. 

my point was that when MJ sold all them albums he had all the promotion behind him for those years. now that the promotion is over and the album is getting older and older the numbers have drastically slowed down. then you got Back in Black and IV, with virtually no promotion at all, now or then, and they're  selling more and more as the years go by.

promotion can only carry an album so far, but Quality can carry an album on forever

i ain't saying that thriller isn't a classic, cuz it DEFINATELY is but it's definately not the best of all albums

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2005, 12:01:40 AM »
I really don't consider musical genius as genius.

i sure do, i've been studying music now for 6 years and i aswell as many many people around the globe consider it to be a definate science. In many ways it's probably one of the most complex sciences and this is considering that their are only 7 notes in music, music has been around forever and people are still finding new way to arrange these 7 same notes differently that's genius in the highest form of it. then you got people creating new sounds and shit, it's JUST like inventers creating the light bulb and creating airplanes and rockets and shit, it's turning the virtually impossible into the possible

then on your second point  you can't forget about prince when it comes to the whole voice thing

Diabolical

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2005, 12:07:58 PM »
12 notes in music nucca.
1. A
2. A#/Bb
3. B
4. C
5. C#/Db
6. D
7. D#/Eb
8. E
9. F
10. F#/Gb
11. G
12. G#/Ab

The point about promotion is spot on though. As always Pop will sell more than Rock no matter what. I mean look at 50 Cent, now no one can doubt that 50 is a pop artist right now, he's selling more than a band like Velvet Revolver or Mars Volta but there is no doubting who the better artists are. Its the same thing as this Crazy Frog who managed to keep Coldplay off No1 over here and as much as i dont like Coldplay there is no doubting that the only reason the frog got to No1 was because it was promoted right.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2005, 02:25:28 AM »
7 basic notes...all the flats and sharps are bridges between the basic notes

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2005, 11:54:54 AM »
the first figure is how many times platinum...

LIFE AFTER DEATH
 NOTORIOUS B.I.G.
 BAD BOY/ARISTA
10 x plat.. where is pac? ;)

ALL EYEZ ON ME
 2 PAC
 DEATH ROW/INTERSCOPE

GREATEST HITS
 2 PAC
 INTERSCOPE

THE EMINEM SHOW
 EMINEM
 INTERSCOPE

DR. DRE 2001
 DR. DRE
 INTERSCOPE

HARD KNOCK LIFE, VOLUME 2
 JAY-Z
 ROC-A-FELLA

album i own and surprised were up there are..

THROWING COPPER
 LIVE
 RADIOACTIVE

SKID ROW
 SKID ROW
 ATLANTIC

Keep in mind, All Eyez On Me hasnt been updated in like over 7 years. Shits probably sold close to 11 or 12 million, and I wouldnt be surprised if it was unofficially the best selling rap album of all time by now. That album is STILL a hot back catalog seller even today. Its pushing more units (even though its 9 years old) then some of the more recent big selling rap albums like GRODT (which is only 2 years old).

"Greatest Hits" is probably diamond too, which would make Pac the first and only rapper to have TWO diamond albums.

Yeah i was thinking that too when i saw the numbers.  AEOM and Greatest Hits have to be diamond by now
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?