Author Topic: Are Country music and Heavy Metal music a racist Genre? Both Sides....  (Read 695 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
I happened to be Black american who loves Metal. In the vein of Meshuggah, Slipknot, etc... I also grew up on Led Zeppelin, Confunktion, rolling stones, Prince, Isley Brothers etc... My favorite band was Kiss during my preteen years. In my early thirties I love hiphop especially emcees who can spit verbal beatdowns like old Eminem, Chino xl. But when I mention I like Beatles, Rolling Stones, and heavy metal to blacks they say its "white man's music". I could see country to a degree. Because, admit it or not, looking at a country music awards and I've never seen any diversity in their audience. I believe to each his own. I don't see how anyone can say a certain genre is white or black. To me, its about personal taste. Maybe I answered my own question, but rock and roll, country, etc... all comes from the style of blues. Right?

It's just as much blackman's music as white man's music. Particularly the Beatles and Stones who started out by playing Blues and RnB (which later became Rock n Roll). Even Country has some roots in the old slave music. In a lot of ways it's both, but to call a type of american music just white or just black is wrong. Metal came primarily from Zeppelin and Zeppelin were greatly influenced and ripped off in some cases, the blues. Look at hip hip, sure it started in the Bronx but most of the samples came from white rock tunes, and even Bob Dylan was doing things simlar to rapping in the 60s. American music is black and white. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a brainwashed racist fool.

metal came from steppen wolf and the whole SF pschodelic scene, with elements of what jimi hendrix did, and cream.......the FIRST Metal band was and always has been Sabbath. Led Zeppelin's harder sound came after 1970 when black sabbath came out

Communication Breakdown and How Many More Times are just as hard as any of Zep's later stuff. It's not as hard as the Sabbath stuff, but it's no Beach Boys. Hard Rock was created with Zeppelin. Did they invent it? Maybe not, but it became big because of them, and that was before the first Sabbath album and before Paranoid.

Thirteen

look up David Alan Coe for country music

that's some racist shit

but not all country music is like that, only a small percentage

David Allan Coe is not racist, and most of the racist songs you download by him aren't really by him. He has one song that is definately racist and that's "Nigger Fucker", but it was on an album filled with songs that made fun of everybody and everything. The song says that white women and black men shouldn't be together but his drummer is black and has a white wife. If he was so racist why would he accept that?

The Johnny Rebel songs are the racist songs, but even those are comedy. Johnny Rebel was a fictitious artsist in the mid 60s who was actually several different people. The songms were made at a timne where a lot of poor white people were getting the shaft because of Johnson's reforms. Now what Johnson did for blacks was long overdue, but a lot of poor whites didn't agree with having to suffer so people they never personally profited off of can rise up. Right or wrong, they were angry. But none of them were David Allan Coe.

ummm you must be thinking about someone else cause a friend of mine has a whole cd full of david alan coe and songs like "Leroy the big lipped nigger" "my wife ran off with a nigger" "nigger hating me" "nigger fucker" "Damn i wish i was a nigger" "some niggers never die" and "no nigger in our schools" among other

these were all unpublished works of his

Thirteen

Along with his accolades as a renegade country hero, Coe had his share of trouble along the way. Much of it has centered on two X-rated albums that came out in the early Eighties, Nothing Sacred and Underground. Both albums are filled with sexist, racist, and homophobic songs Coe has tried to live down ever since recording them. Unfortunately, this material is exactly what some people have come to associate the country singer with.

In a handwritten letter on Coe's official Web site, he says, "I was a young man living with a motorcycle club ... I had given up on any commercial success and country radio wouldn't play my songs anyway ... I made these albums for bikers to play at parties ... not everyone appreciates biker humor, even in music. It was never my intention for some little old lady who saw me on TV doing 'Mona Lisa Lost Her Smile' to come to my concert and suffer through a bunch of X-rated songs ... I don't apologize for these albums, because they are very funny, but don't expect me to sing these songs at my shows!"

Making those albums was a decision that has haunted Coe for years. It's undoubtedly the racist content of a couple of the songs that people find the most offensive. Granted, Coe now has an African-American drummer (Kerry Brown, son of bluesman Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown), and got his feet wet with an all-black band in Nashville, but even though he's fallen all over himself trying to rationalize the songs, they've have been the bane of his existence for years, to the point of making him an unwilling (or unwitting) hero for hate groups.

In the December 2000 issue of Country Standard Time, Coe takes on the issue of racism and the songs' origins. His version has him playing those songs for friend and songwriter Shel Silverstein sometime back in the Seventies, and Silverstein talking him into going in the studio and committing them to tape.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
look up David Alan Coe for country music

that's some racist shit

but not all country music is like that, only a small percentage

David Allan Coe is not racist, and most of the racist songs you download by him aren't really by him. He has one song that is definately racist and that's "Nigger Fucker", but it was on an album filled with songs that made fun of everybody and everything. The song says that white women and black men shouldn't be together but his drummer is black and has a white wife. If he was so racist why would he accept that?

The Johnny Rebel songs are the racist songs, but even those are comedy. Johnny Rebel was a fictitious artsist in the mid 60s who was actually several different people. The songms were made at a timne where a lot of poor white people were getting the shaft because of Johnson's reforms. Now what Johnson did for blacks was long overdue, but a lot of poor whites didn't agree with having to suffer so people they never personally profited off of can rise up. Right or wrong, they were angry. But none of them were David Allan Coe.

ummm you must be thinking about someone else cause a friend of mine has a whole cd full of david alan coe and songs like "Leroy the big lipped nigger" "my wife ran off with a nigger" "nigger hating me" "nigger fucker" "Damn i wish i was a nigger" "some niggers never die" and "no nigger in our schools" among other

these were all unpublished works of his

Is it a real CD bought in a store? I do't think so. My Wife Ran Off With A Nigger is his and its also called Nigger Fucker, but the rest of those songs are Johnny Rebel, who are really 5 or 6 different guys. Listen to Nigger Fucker then listen to a normal David Allan Coe song like Waylon Willie and Me, then listen to the rest of the songs, not only will you hear a distinctly different voice then the first two but you'll notice that almost each song a different singer. Besides when those other songs were recorded Coe was in jail. I'm not trying to go out of my way to defend the guy. I just know it wasn't him and he's not racist. Just like Eminem doesn't really want to rape his mom, or how Jay Z doesn't really shoot people in the street.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
I happened to be Black american who loves Metal. In the vein of Meshuggah, Slipknot, etc... I also grew up on Led Zeppelin, Confunktion, rolling stones, Prince, Isley Brothers etc... My favorite band was Kiss during my preteen years. In my early thirties I love hiphop especially emcees who can spit verbal beatdowns like old Eminem, Chino xl. But when I mention I like Beatles, Rolling Stones, and heavy metal to blacks they say its "white man's music". I could see country to a degree. Because, admit it or not, looking at a country music awards and I've never seen any diversity in their audience. I believe to each his own. I don't see how anyone can say a certain genre is white or black. To me, its about personal taste. Maybe I answered my own question, but rock and roll, country, etc... all comes from the style of blues. Right?

It's just as much blackman's music as white man's music. Particularly the Beatles and Stones who started out by playing Blues and RnB (which later became Rock n Roll). Even Country has some roots in the old slave music. In a lot of ways it's both, but to call a type of american music just white or just black is wrong. Metal came primarily from Zeppelin and Zeppelin were greatly influenced and ripped off in some cases, the blues. Look at hip hip, sure it started in the Bronx but most of the samples came from white rock tunes, and even Bob Dylan was doing things simlar to rapping in the 60s. American music is black and white. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a brainwashed racist fool.

metal came from steppen wolf and the whole SF pschodelic scene, with elements of what jimi hendrix did, and cream.......the FIRST Metal band was and always has been Sabbath. Led Zeppelin's harder sound came after 1970 when black sabbath came out

Communication Breakdown and How Many More Times are just as hard as any of Zep's later stuff. It's not as hard as the Sabbath stuff, but it's no Beach Boys. Hard Rock was created with Zeppelin. Did they invent it? Maybe not, but it became big because of them, and that was before the first Sabbath album and before Paranoid.

you just contradicted yourself

hard rock was not created by led zeppelin

cream, hendrix, steppenwolf, and hell even the yardbirds were hard...before zeppelin dropped their first albums in 69'

you're right they did HELP popularlize it

but this all besides the piont the first official Metal album was in 1970 Black Sabbath's album "Black Sabbath" track 1 called "Black Sabbath"

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Trauma-san

David Allan Cole is obviously a racist. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!

cream, hendrix, steppenwolf, and hell even the yardbirds were hard...before zeppelin dropped their first albums in 69'

but this all besides the piont the first official Metal album was in 1970 Black Sabbath's album "Black Sabbath" track 1 called "Black Sabbath"

I didn't contradict myself. Elvis didn't create rock n roll but if it weren't for him it wouldn't have come out until years later.

Cream was a blues rock band every step of the way, and so was Steppenwolf, and the Yard Birds. Hendrix was great Rock n Roll with a touch of blues that is more or less it's own genre. The Hard Rock formula Zeppelin created was the reason bands like Deep Purple ever got a record deal. Zepelin's formula is 100% responsible for just about every hair metal band in the 80s. I don't say they created it because it's such a bold statement. Who invented rock n roll? There are so many answers. Some say it was originally Robert Johnson, or Howlin' Wolf, others say it was Hank Williams with songs like Bring it on Over, and some say it truly didn't become rock and roll until Elvis brought both hte RnB and Country together on his adaptation of That's Alright. There is no definte answer. Eddy Van Halen didn't "invent" tapping, but he's responsible for it. You know what I mean, it's like adopting a new born baby and raising it to become US President. The birth parents may have created him, but the credit will go to the adoptive parents that raised him.

Trauma; You're pathetic.

Thuglife

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Well if kurupt gave a fuck about a bitch...
man that david allen coe shit is fucking hillarious, stupid fucking white people

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
man that david allen coe shit is fucking hillarious, stupid fucking white people

Are you talking about She Ran off With a Nigger, or the other racist songs? Because the other racist songs aren't Coe, they're Johnny Rebel (who is 5 or 6 different people).

Also for everyone in general. Why is it so bad and terrible to make comedic songs downgrading blacks, but funny and good when Snoop and the DPG make comedic songs downgradding all women, and revolutionary when Ice Cube makes comedic social commentaries dwngrading white men?

They are just songs meant for people who find them funny or funny and true. Just like Cube didn't want blacks to go out and kill whites after listening to Horny Lil' Devil or Koreans after listening to Black Korea, Johnny Rebel or David Allan Coe in one case didn't want whites to go out and kill blacks for being with white women. I understand that blacks with white women were a sterioids problem once upon a time, and blacks killing whites never was, but Coe never publicly released She Ran off with a Nigger and no one really ever heard it. If the internet was never created less than 0.01% of America would even know it existed.

Thuglife

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Well if kurupt gave a fuck about a bitch...
^man your opinion really is ignorant, u answered ur own question the reason white people cant make fun of black people for being dirty niggers is because they already lost their privilages to do that( a little thing called slavery). The way gangsta rappers degrade women in their songs is similar but isnt the same because the rappers love certain women but hate bitches. theres a big diff between women and bitches.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
^man your opinion really is ignorant, u answered ur own question the reason white people cant make fun of black people for being dirty niggers is because they already lost their privilages to do that( a little thing called slavery). The way gangsta rappers degrade women in their songs is similar but isnt the same because the rappers love certain women but hate bitches. theres a big diff between women and bitches.

But a lot whites had nothing to do with slavery, and didn't profit off it at all. Also, let's say I decide to make songs about black people in a negative light (not that I ever would). I am white but my heritage is from Greece. We had nothing to do with the slave trade. In fact my ancestors were slaves themselves during the same period of time. Would that be okay, by your logic?

By my logic, hate is hate and comedy is comedy. It's the intent that matters. If a guy bumps into a in a mall when he's not looking and I spill my drink, I won't think anything of it, but if a guy walks up to me and slaps it out of my hands then that's another story.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
*plays Led Zeppelin - When the Levee Breaks*
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch

I didn't contradict myself. Elvis didn't create rock n roll but if it weren't for him it wouldn't have come out until years later.

Cream was a blues rock band every step of the way, and so was Steppenwolf, and the Yard Birds. Hendrix was great Rock n Roll with a touch of blues that is more or less it's own genre. The Hard Rock formula Zeppelin created was the reason bands like Deep Purple ever got a record deal. Zepelin's formula is 100% responsible for just about every hair metal band in the 80s. I don't say they created it because it's such a bold statement. Who invented rock n roll? There are so many answers. Some say it was originally Robert Johnson, or Howlin' Wolf, others say it was Hank Williams with songs like Bring it on Over, and some say it truly didn't become rock and roll until Elvis brought both hte RnB and Country together on his adaptation of That's Alright. There is no definte answer. Eddy Van Halen didn't "invent" tapping, but he's responsible for it. You know what I mean, it's like adopting a new born baby and raising it to become US President. The birth parents may have created him, but the credit will go to the adoptive parents that raised him.

Trauma; You're pathetic.

all bands pre 80's were blues based, hell even zeppelin was more blues than most other bands out.....just look at jimmy page's scale structure .......Led Zeppelin became the biggest hard rock band but they DEFINATELY weren't the reason for the genre getting big....cuz it was already big before they were even starting to get that hard. Zeppelin didn't really blow up with their hard sound until AFTER many many many OTHER hard rock acts came out.....so i don't know what you're trying to argue here, first Zeppelin was the reason for Metal? wrong. then zeppelin was the reason for Hard Rock? wrong. now they're the reason why the genre got big? wrong......it was ALREADY big when Zeppelin were coming up.

and LOL at Eddie Van Halen not inventing tapping...sorry sir but yes he did. that's what made eruption so amazing people thought he had a twelive inch pinky to be able to hamer on pull off on the 2 -5 and 12 at the same time

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!

all bands pre 80's were blues based, hell even zeppelin was more blues than most other bands out.....just look at jimmy page's scale structure .......Led Zeppelin became the biggest hard rock band but they DEFINATELY weren't the reason for the genre getting big....cuz it was already big before they were even starting to get that hard. Zeppelin didn't really blow up with their hard sound until AFTER many many many OTHER hard rock acts came out.....so i don't know what you're trying to argue here, first Zeppelin was the reason for Metal? wrong. then zeppelin was the reason for Hard Rock? wrong. now they're the reason why the genre got big? wrong......it was ALREADY big when Zeppelin were coming up.

I already told you there were songs on their first album just as hard as songs on their last album. There is no way Zep became harder because of Sabbath because they were as hard before Sabbath. What hard rock song was big before Led Zeppelin 1. What song sounded like the ending to Dazed and Confused? That was a huge song commercially.When I say blues based I mean softer blues. Obviously Zep was blues, but they added that hard edge to it that Cream, Steppenwolf, etc didn't. Born to be Wild was a great song, but no one thinks of it as antthing near a metal song, while a few tracks on Zep 1 that are certainly metal or precursor to metal.

and LOL at Eddie Van Halen not inventing tapping...sorry sir but yes he did. that's what made eruption so amazing people thought he had a twelive inch pinky to be able to hamer on pull off on the 2 -5 and 12 at the same time

Tell that to Ritchie Blackmore. He may disagree with you.

Diabolical

EVH didnt invent tapping Classical musicians have used tapping for years.
And around the same time as EVH, Randy Rhoads R.I.P. (Ozzy's guitarist) was using tapping as well. They were both at "war" to prove who was the better guitarist.