Author Topic: I KNOW I'M LATE BUT DAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!  (Read 227 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
I KNOW I'M LATE BUT DAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!
« on: June 02, 2002, 04:10:16 PM »
fuck,today for the first time i heard Eminem show and stillmatic in their entirety and WHOAH. Stillmatic has much of nas at his best at times when he gets vicious and extremely loud it shows an anger and energy that he just didn't command back on Illmatic but then on some tracks (like most of the tracks between one mic and everybody wants to rule the world) get boring and monotonous but by far the album is great,if it would have been just the 10 best tracks like illmatic it could have been a classic within the secondary order of classics,but the whacker tracks and guest appearances interrupts the flow and just bogs it down but still this is PROGRESS. I couldn't believe how hard nas came back...there is still hope-almost near classic

especially for eminem.
DAMN i was expecting shit from eminem but he blew me away here...

can someone give me the list of the tracks dre did for this album??

anyway,Fuck Em has matured. He mentioned fags maybe twice on the album,he didn't stoop as low as to name check icp but rather he cleverly dissed them without being a bitch

check it: a while after the mm lp,ICP made a skit with the instrumental to NWA's "prelude"/"kamurshol" slowed down while "eminem" and "dre" had gay sex

em replies somewhere on eminem show(i think its my dads gone crazy) and says "yeah this whole time me and dre been fuckin this whole time with hats off {dre:suck it marshall}"

this shows eminem has grown out of his homophobia by being able to poke fun at himself and successfully making icp look stupid by putting their own diss back at them as to show how stupid it sounds once its really said...

also,this time around,Em doesn't just mindlessly diss his wife/mom/dad...he gives real emotional and thoughtful introspection to support and finally make us really feel it...and on the "bitches" kind of songs he gets rather deep,explaining he just fucks hoes due to loneliness and insecurity yet is still wary of their purposes

he also grows out of any tendency that would make people say he tries to act black by admitting and showing his love for rock as well as rap

if you'll remember on one of his early appearances with Kid rock like in 98 on the song fuck off he said "you know i'm losin it when i start rappin to rock guitars!" as if to state his compliance but not allegiance to the rock genre....well on the eminem show while talking about his childhood he states "brainwashed by rock n rap" finally coming out of the musical closet stating "yeah i was into rap AND ROCK" and he shows more rock influence than ever on this album(i know he did before but he still seemed like he kind of didn't take it seriously as to appease the hip hop culture) and even used a rock chorus/sample for a track...he showed more pride then ever in his art by pledging much allegiance to the "rap game" yet rarely mentioning "hip hop"...one of the firts rappers to realize that hip hop as a genre really originally meant "hip pop"  but still claims "rap" but laces every track with rock influence,understanding that rap is the words not the music.

his wordplay has somehwta deteriorated since the infinite/slim shady days but his depth and lyrical content has grown so much it makes up for it, its stilll been awhile since we've just seen him just rip the shit out of a track with similes,metaphors,and complicated multis and enhanced vocabulary just for the sake of doing it....but this also shows that he likes to ration these rhyme techniques in order to really SAY something now rather than just rap tight...he's grown how most rappers haven't he tries to have some kind of  a message with every track now,as simple as it may be(and most of it's not that simple) its better than "i have more money,dick length and dopeness than you"

on this album he admits emotional conflict,pain,offense,hurt,mistakes ad even *gasp* insecurity-near classic....most rap comes from insecurity...you got these black guys from the hood who grew up poor,no one giving a damn about them and they probably didn't do well in school if they even made it through school....they use rap to validate themselves "Uhhh yeah i'm smart and worthwhile cuz i have me some doe now!" but what do they do? they validate themselves by making others feel like shit,by letting white kids now that black people are cooler than them...em and nas don't
even bother with that anymore. They're finally showin us its cool to be smart especially nas.

its great to see these MCs make such good points about politics  and america,it shows hip hops intelligentsia potential in the middle of growing, they ake very good points and seem well informed...great great progress...why can't songs like "white america" and "everybody wants to rule the world" be singles? i know white america wouldn't work,but "everybody wants to rule the world" could be a great single...these rappers can become poets if they want to

Nas and em just need to abandon all
*USELESS profanity, profanity can be cool (Poets Allen Ginsberg and Jim Morrison used profanity on some great poems "Howl" and "Curses,Invocations" i suggest you check them,but they did it TASTEFULLY,key word TASTEFULLY)Em: don't add "motherfuckin" just because you can't think of four sylabbles to accomodate the rhythm,that's called laziness and it shows after about 5 discs of it....
*shallow subject matter,Nas and em are almost there there's just little bits of it that they have but topically they have leaped miles
* this is a big one.....WHACK "FRIENDS"
Obit trice is mediocre,kunivaa is mediocre,swifty is mediocre,....only exceptional people in d12 are Em,Bizarre(his flow has improved greatly),and Proof(great over-all style),everyone else should get no love it brings down ems shit,just let them do their albums and em appear/produce/guide their shit until they blossom and THEN they can get on the albums of em but obie trice brought down that one song about women to something MC Ren would spit in 1990 on an off day....em saved it but Trice was dumb as hell,..."yeah bitches like my big dick" was what his whole verse said....when the music stops was dope for em,proof and bizarre but that should have been it.the rest just brought it down...the rest of em are okay but they can't hang yet,they should be given their own shit to hone themselves and then get on the big shit...anyway...
and none of Nas' guest appearances were worthwhile,AZ used to be dope as fuck but when he's off he's off,i think he can be good as nas at his best but he's inconsistent and his flows always been a bit off but he has major potential as well...

anyway,Nas and Em can be poets,POETS is saying alot...Poet means a sacrifice has been made,not money,not material,but soul and emotion has been burnt for the art and the expression.....yeah maybe one day they can hang with me and infinite(as far as the poetic stats goes LOL)....i have been brought back to rap,thank the Gods(namely big,pac,and rakim still regulars in my listening no matter how much Doors and beatles i have...) if this keeps up i may come back entirely i mean as far as i'm concerned i'm buying a new Paul Mccartney album before i buy from snoops lazy ass again but right now i'll buy Em before mr.Mccartney(and McCartney is the Man so that's a big ass well done to Nas and Em)...peace-Tanjint
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

P Nelson

• 40 illa
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: I KNOW I'M LATE BUT DAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2002, 04:41:09 PM »
Finally someone who knows eminem is saying somethin... Hs only problem its that he talks to much bout his family and how he hates em but I guess thats his life so its all good

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2002, 05:29:33 PM »
i think the family stuff is great when he really goes in depth with it,what would you rather him rap about? peace-Tanjint

westcoastavengers.com

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2002, 06:00:45 PM »
told u man...

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2002, 05:16:23 PM »
damn out of everything i said nobody disagrees or has anything to add/comment on? what discussive posts of the album did i miss? peace-Tanjint

westcoastavengers.com

big_mike

• Lil Geezy
  • real g's dont die...we multiply...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2002, 05:39:12 PM »
lyrically speaking....these two cats are at the top of the game....while everyone speaking bout ice and cars, em and nas speaking bout real-life situations w/the political 'bs' that goes on in america.