Author Topic: Rock and Roll VS Hip Hop who measures up?  (Read 800 times)

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: Rock and Roll VS Hip Hop who measures up?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2005, 08:28:51 PM »
hip hop is definately a part of rock and roll

all of the early records were samples from rock records....ALL, and all the beats being made today are seen as the progression of funk/soul music....which a part of R &B which is the cultivation of rock and roll

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

coola

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2005, 11:46:49 PM »

all of the early records were samples from rock records....ALL, and all the beats being made today are seen as the progression of funk/soul music....which a part of R &B which is the cultivation of rock and roll

yeah but does that actually make it rock and roll ? shit may aswell call it cave-man music, coz thats where all music stemmed from... ::)

HIP-HOP IS NOT ROCK AND ROLL.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2005, 09:27:43 AM »

yeah but does that actually make it rock and roll ? shit may aswell call it cave-man music, coz thats where all music stemmed from... ::)

Then neither is punk, metal, grunge, folk rock, or hard rock. Jimi Hendrix isn't rock and roll because he sounds nothing like Little Richard.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2005, 09:53:15 AM »

all the beats being made today are seen as the progression of funk/soul music

i like it how people who don't know anything about music try to talk big like they do

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

coola

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2005, 03:31:47 PM »

i like it how people who don't know anything about music try to talk big like they do

and i love it when people who know music try to call hip-hop rock and roll when its a different genre of music...

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2005, 06:31:23 PM »

and i love it when people who know music try to call hip-hop rock and roll when its a different genre of music...

The noun Rock and Roll is like the noun Hollywood in that it's not an actual genre. (Like I said Punk, Metal, are different genres but they are both rock and roll. How does hip hop differ from that?) Hollywood is a style not movies. You can shoot movies in Hollywood and have it not be Hollywood and you can shoot movies outside of Hollywood and have it still be Hollywood. Thomas Edison and company may have invented the moving picture and that technology may have been utilized by different nations in different styles, but you can still tell Hollywood when you see it. Carey Grant was in every sense of the word, Hollywood, much like Denzel Washington is today. Now Charlie Chaplin and Jim Carrey is nothing like either of these men and their movies are very different but they are all Hollywood. Most films today have little to do with Hollywood, California. They aren't filmed there any more, they aren't edited there. Stars don't live there, but the movies and stars are still Hollywood. Why? Because of the attitude. The intangible that is Hollywood. Much like the intangible that is Rock and Roll, Hollywood goes far beyond a style or genre.

Rock and Roll is not a style of music, it is the attitude attatched to music and hip hop has that attitude. Rhythm and Blues may have been invented in Memphis Tennesee by the forging of black blues and gospel with white country and folk, but Rock and Roll was born with the rebellion and attitude of doing what you aren't supposed to. When Little Richard sang Tuttie Frutie that was Rhythm and Blues. When white kids started dancing to black music filled with sex driven lyrics that was Rock and Roll. That rebellion and attitude shifted to protesting war, and later to doing drugs, then moving to exploring your soul, to anti establishment, to fighting conformity, to cries of help from the streets and ghettos. All are very different but that all possess the same attitude that leads to this rebellion and they are all a part of Rock and Roll.

Rock and Roll was there before Memphis and before Rhythm and Blues. It was there with Robert Johnson when he was accused of making a pact with Satan to improve his skills and shame his peers with superior abilities. It was there with Woody Guthrie when he wrote This Land Is Your Land out of disgust for Irving Berlin and God Bless America. It was there with Jim Morrison in New Haven, Connecticut when he incited a riot on the police for spraying him with mase. And it was there with 2Pac Shakur when he wrote Brenda's Got a Baby. It's here right now with 50 Cent and Eminem, and it'll be here 10 years from now with who knows who playing who knows what kind of music. Rock and Roll is not the music. It is the soul that drives the music.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2005, 07:17:11 PM »
^ PREACH ON MY BROTHER.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2005, 08:55:28 PM »
Techno music.  Does it have the rock n roll attitude?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2005, 09:23:59 PM »
Techno music.  Does it have the rock n roll attitude?

Moby has been rock and roll from day one. Techno is rock and roll too.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2005, 09:34:34 PM »
I would say that's your universal definition of rock and roll.  From what ive read, the rock and roll you describe is really the whole attitude that musicians have in general.  In your definition, Mozart is on that same level

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2005, 09:42:03 PM »
I would say that's your universal definition of rock and roll.  From what ive read, the rock and roll you describe is really the whole attitude that musicians have in general.  In your definition, Mozart is on that same level

The Mozart from Amadeus was certainly a Rock star but I'm not sure how accurate that move is. In general classical music is nothing like rock and roll. It has no rebellion in it, but one could argue a few classical composers were rock and roll.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2005, 09:46:59 PM »
The evolution of words and it's defintion is just too cool lol.  See how these little debates are much better than when people put crap like "    ::)   "

coola

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2005, 11:02:53 PM »
man whatever, you can call it what you want. you wont have me comvinced.

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2005, 06:30:12 AM »
I got a question for you shallow.  Reggae has the same attitude as rock and roll you know, rebelious against the systeem smoking weed and all that stuff. So do you consider reggae rock and roll?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2005, 07:49:59 AM »
I got a question for you shallow.  Reggae has the same attitude as rock and roll you know, rebelious against the systeem smoking weed and all that stuff. So do you consider reggae rock and roll?

With out a doubt. If you look at the history of Reggae it was the folk music of the islands infused with the western Roick and Roll as a direct influence. Look at pictures of Bob Marley from the early 60s and you'll see him dressed just like the bands in the US of the time. If the Beatles are Rock and Roll then I don't see why the Whailers aren't.