Author Topic: Rock and Roll VS Hip Hop who measures up?  (Read 796 times)

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: Rock and Roll VS Hip Hop who measures up?
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2005, 02:13:09 PM »

Thread's been taking out of context, i'm sure when it was created the intention wasn't to start a debate on the origins of other genres. Despite their origin there is an obvious difference between to the two and both are comparable, hence the reason for different target bases.

But what is Rock and Roll? It's not about the origins of each it's about figuring out what we are debating. Elvis and The Sex Pistols are as fas away from the same thing as can be. Snoop is more like Elvis than Johnny Rotten is. Now if someone asked what's better Hip Hop or Metal? or Hip Hop or Punk? Gangsta Rap or Grunge? Hip Hop or Acid/Psychodelic Rock? or Current Hip Hop or current Garage Rock? Then we could have a debate, but I don't think you can say Hip Hop or Rock and Roll because Rock and Roll cannot be defined by a single sound. To me it's like saying; What's better Hollywood or Short Films? Hollywood or Cartoon Movies? Hollywood or Musicals? Short Films, Cartoons, and Musicals can all fall under Hollywood. Now if you say live action dramas, or high budegt action films then you can have a real debate.

Anyone that doesn't see why Hip Hop falls under the Rock and Roll umbrella but thinks Punk and Metal do is an ignorant fool who only disagrees because they have a bad personal feeling towards rock or rockers. Kraftwerk would make songs using just keyboards and samples, why are they Rock and not hip hop. Aerosmith rapped on Walk This Way, why wasn't that song considered rap until Run DMC covered it? It's prejudice and stupidity. "Hip Hip can't be Rock". I hear it all the time in my area, by the same people that think blacks were the slaves for every nation in history. "Whites were never enslaved".

Well i dont have any bad experiences or personal feelings towards rock and roll, its just not my kind of music. Hip hop and rock and roll could come from the same music genres, but they grew apart from eachother. And they have an identity of their own. Its just like and identical twin, you have one seed that 2 children grow from. They may look identical on the outside, but on the inside they are very different. And this is the same with rock and roll and hip hop. If you look at the lifestyle on attitude on the outside thay may look the same. But if you live on lifestyle you can never say that they are the same. Its like saying Ronaldo and Adriano are the same because they both score goals, but the way they do it makes them different from eachother and unique.

You ignored the "if" I used. If you feel that Rock and Roll is one thing while Heavy Metal is another and Punk is another, then sure Hip Hip is something else. But IF you consider Punk and Metal to both be Rock but for Hip Hop to not be, then you are ignorant. You are not ignorant if you think otherwise and feel they are all separate from Rock and Roll.

is metal a life-style nowa days or a genre ?

^ yeah wanna see

look at the evolution ....that's a culture almost 40 years deep

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

The Predator

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2005, 02:26:53 PM »
Hip Hop pushes rock off the cliff, no competition.

Hip hop can evolve and twist up any kind of sound in to it. Unstoppable Monster.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2005, 06:04:27 PM »
^ riiiiight, anywho, about the reggae thing, i dont think it has the rock n roll attitude

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2005, 06:10:06 PM »
^ riiiiight, anywho, about the reggae thing, i dont think it has the rock n roll attitude

Thyere is no way Eric Clapton had it if Bob Marley didn't. Clapton covered Marley songs so well for a reason.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2005, 06:17:51 PM »
.... i dunno, wen i think of bob marley, i think, jammin, and is this love, wen i think clapton, cocaine and sunshine of your love... that leads to my opinion

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2005, 07:29:14 PM »
.... i dunno, wen i think of bob marley, i think, jammin, and is this love, wen i think clapton, cocaine and sunshine of your love... that leads to my opinion

Try Redemption Song or Rat Race. Could You Be Loved has a rock feel to it musically. And Is This Love is no less Rock than Wonderful Tonight.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2005, 11:16:58 PM »
why are people trying to argue against this still.....hip hop is a part of the whole rock n roll revolution

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2005, 12:01:00 AM »
Explain in detail how is MCing and DJing part of the Rock N Roll culture.  It;s a combination of many music genres, not just rock N roll

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2005, 08:22:15 AM »
Explain in detail how is MCing and DJing part of the Rock N Roll culture.  It;s a combination of many music genres, not just rock N roll

Explain in detail how two hand tapping in a guitar solo is part of the Rock and Roll culture. It's a combination of many music genres, not just rock N roll.

Explain in detail how singing and playing drums is part of the Rock and Roll culture. It's a combination of many music genres, not just rock N roll.

Explain in detail how screaming and jumping around is part of the Rock and Roll culture. It's a combination of many music genres, not just rock N roll.

Answer those and then I'll answer your request.

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2005, 09:02:14 AM »
^^ Well actually he asked it first, so you should answer first.

But what you said in your previous post isnt true. I know hiphop aint a culture, but hiphop is definetly a lifestyle. Its how you talk (you know street slang), what clothes you wear, how you dance, how you act. Its like you said, its part of urban street culture. I used to go to a school where you had a bunch of rock and roll people. And it was a major difference in how they act and how they are. There are almost no similaritys, if you look at how they are as people.

You make it seem that rock and roll is the godfather of hiphop, and this isnt true. If you look at Tupac for example, he is so different then any random rock dude. The way he thinks the way he acts, the cause for which he was fighting for. And most importantly the message he was spreading. And hiphop is a lifestyle of its own. There is just some music that you cant put in a box. Its the same with reggae you said earlier that reggae is deffinetly a part of rock and roll, but this is also not true. The sound maybe influenced by ''rock and roll''. But Reggae is also definetly a different lifestyle then rock and hiphop. You got the rastafari and their own way of living and beliefs. They may be influenced by jazz music but they mixed it with their own culture. And it got so big that it became a lifestyle.

So thats why hiphop and reggae arent rock and roll. They are 3 music genres of their own.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2005, 09:30:22 AM »
If you look at Tupac for example, he is so different then any random rock dude. The way he thinks the way he acts, the cause for which he was fighting for. And most importantly the message he was spreading.
tupac= jim morrison

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2005, 10:20:21 AM »
If you look at Tupac for example, he is so different then any random rock dude. The way he thinks the way he acts, the cause for which he was fighting for. And most importantly the message he was spreading.
tupac= jim morrison

PLz explain why tupac is jim morrison.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2005, 10:31:28 AM »
^^ Well actually he asked it first, so you should answer first.

But what you said in your previous post isnt true. I know hiphop aint a culture, but hiphop is definetly a lifestyle. Its how you talk (you know street slang), what clothes you wear, how you dance, how you act. Its like you said, its part of urban street culture. I used to go to a school where you had a bunch of rock and roll people. And it was a major difference in how they act and how they are. There are almost no similaritys, if you look at how they are as people.

You make it seem that rock and roll is the godfather of hiphop, and this isnt true. If you look at Tupac for example, he is so different then any random rock dude. The way he thinks the way he acts, the cause for which he was fighting for. And most importantly the message he was spreading. And hiphop is a lifestyle of its own. There is just some music that you cant put in a box. Its the same with reggae you said earlier that reggae is deffinetly a part of rock and roll, but this is also not true. The sound maybe influenced by ''rock and roll''. But Reggae is also definetly a different lifestyle then rock and hiphop. You got the rastafari and their own way of living and beliefs. They may be influenced by jazz music but they mixed it with their own culture. And it got so big that it became a lifestyle.

So thats why hiphop and reggae arent rock and roll. They are 3 music genres of their own.

My questions were his answers.

Rastafari may be a culture, but you can be rastafari and not be reggae. regaae is al a big part of the christian jamaican culture.

Johnny Rotten is also different from anyone in Rock. Jim Morrison as well. Should they be considered something other than rock? You say you had rockers in your school and they were different from the hip hop crowd. What is a rocker? Were they metal heads? punk rockers? hippies? classic rockers? oldies rockers? mods? What is a rocker? Every kind of rocker I just mentioned live very different lifestyles than the others. The punk lifestyle is just as different from the metal lifestyle as hip hop is.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2005, 10:32:16 AM »
tupac= jim morrison

He means that the way this description could be applied to 2Pac, it could just as easily be talking about Jim Morrison. In fact I'd say it describes Morrison far better than Shakur.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2005, 11:13:59 AM »
tupac= jim morrison

He means that the way this description could be applied to 2Pac, it could just as easily be talking about Jim Morrison. In fact I'd say it describes Morrison far better than Shakur.

LOL,i wasnt describing 2pac, i was pointing out the difference between 2pac and any rock dude which could be jim morrison. And i wasnt giving actual examples.