Author Topic: Rock and Roll VS Hip Hop who measures up?  (Read 799 times)

J Bananas

Re: Rock and Roll VS Hip Hop who measures up?
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2005, 11:17:43 AM »
Moby has been rock and roll from day one. Techno is rock and roll too.

fuck that moby is not rock and roll. he is some nerdy bitch living in a plain ass apartment in nyc who has a ton of ittle idiosyncracies that he thinks sets him apart from all the other dumbass musicians so therefore he is above them. moby is not rock and roll.

MidoriHaze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2005, 12:03:59 PM »
Now that's one thing i will disagree with ^^^

If i hadn't seen him live i would have probably agree with that, however when i saw him at Splendour (2day festival) back in July i was amazed at how he was able to mix his performance up. Using his words he performed a 30sec "punk rock thrash" track, also covered ACDC's 'Shook Me All Night Long' and Men At Work's 'Down Under' then performed a classical piece from Mozart. Moby roots definatly seem to be inspired by rock n roll, and i don't even normally like that sort of music.

To what i said before, i wasn't disagreeing with the origins of rock n roll but saying a genre is part of rock n roll is alot different from saying a genre is rock n roll
"People in New York won't bug you. It's so great." - John Lennon (RIP)

Sikotic™

« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2005, 12:31:27 PM »
They both have they're positives and negatives. No point in arguing.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2005, 02:28:37 PM »

To what i said before, i wasn't disagreeing with the origins of rock n roll but saying a genre is part of rock n roll is alot different from saying a genre is rock n roll

Then what is Rock and Roll? A lot of people have bitched and moaned (not you necessarily) about hip hop not being rock and roll, but no one has even attempted to answer my question.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2005, 02:41:16 PM »
If you look at Tupac for example, he is so different then any random rock dude. The way he thinks the way he acts, the cause for which he was fighting for. And most importantly the message he was spreading.
tupac= jim morrison

PLz explain why tupac is jim morrison.

He means that the way this description could be applied to 2Pac, it could just as easily be talking about Jim Morrison. In fact I'd say it describes Morrison far better than Shakur.

LOL,i wasnt describing 2pac, i was pointing out the difference between 2pac and any rock dude which could be jim morrison. And i wasnt giving actual examples.
the way 2pac thinks.....very similar to the way jim morisson thinks
the way 2pac acted.....VERY similar to the way jim morison acted
the cause he fighted for.....lol he was there
the messages 2pac tried to spread.......very similar to what jim morrison tried to do

another "rock dude" you can compare 2pac to, John Lennon!

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2005, 05:58:49 PM »
Freestyle rapping is Rock N Roll!  GOT IT!!!!

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2005, 06:03:29 PM »
Is Spoken Poetry part of Rock N Roll too?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2005, 06:25:43 PM »
Is Spoken Poetry part of Rock N Roll too?

It is, but only if singing poetry is rock and roll too. If not then no.

J Bananas

« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2005, 06:26:33 PM »
what nigga you're broke, the fuck you gon tell me?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2005, 06:39:25 PM »

Just because something isn't just rock and roll doesn't mean it isn't rock and roll. Michael Jordan is a basketball player. He is also a Michael. A man. An American. Black. A Jordan. A father. etc.

So is Michael Jordan an american? Yes. Is he a basketball player? Yes. Is he only a father? No. Is he only anything? No.

Spoken poetry is a part of literature. Culture. English. French. Spanish. etc. Music. Plays. Musicals. Rock and Roll. etc.

Is poetry literature? Yes. Yes poetry Rock and Roll? Yes. Is it only Rock and Roll? No. Is it only anything? No.

coola

« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2005, 07:26:48 PM »
ima start calling fish and chips rock and roll...

ac1386

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2005, 08:30:34 PM »

Just because something isn't just rock and roll doesn't mean it isn't rock and roll. Michael Jordan is a basketball player. He is also a Michael. A man. An American. Black. A Jordan. A father. etc.

So is Michael Jordan an american? Yes. Is he a basketball player? Yes. Is he only a father? No. Is he only anything? No.

Spoken poetry is a part of literature. Culture. English. French. Spanish. etc. Music. Plays. Musicals. Rock and Roll. etc.

Is poetry literature? Yes. Yes poetry Rock and Roll? Yes. Is it only Rock and Roll? No. Is it only anything? No.

haha i love it, way to break it down

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2005, 04:24:55 PM »
ima start calling fish and chips rock and roll...

You're stupid if you think fish have anything to do with rock and roll. Chips on the other hand are the rebels of the potato world. They epitomize rock and roll.

Okay fine, I'm wrong. Tell me what Rock and Roll is. You can critisize and make jokes all you want but you haven't answered my question. The British music scene came out under the influence of Rock and Roll and The Blues, much like Hip Hop,but it was it's own sound and own movement, much like hip hop. It had it's own fashions, much like hip hop. It's own dances, much like hip hop. It had the Mods vs Rockers, much like East vs West. Why is the British Invasion music Rock and Roll and Hip Hop is not? and for the love of God, tell me what Rock and Roll is.