Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread  (Read 288148 times)

LAKERS_FAN89

Re: Sticky: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread
« Reply #1950 on: September 24, 2006, 11:42:11 PM »
15 DAYS BITCH FUCK YALL HATERZ L'UP 8)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 05:21:56 PM by Now_I_Know »

wcsoldier

« Reply #1952 on: September 26, 2006, 10:46:33 AM »
Kwame gonna kick asses next year...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1953 on: September 26, 2006, 11:08:53 AM »
Breaking Down the Laker Schedule

By Eric Pincus
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Sep 20, 2006, 18:14 

Last season the Los Angeles Lakers were fortunate to have relatively good health.  Though there were substantial injuries to Chris Mihm, Ronny Turiaf, Aaron McKie, Laron Profit and Slava Medvedenko, the team's biggest stars (Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom) missed just two games apiece.  Losing role players for an extended period hurt the team, but overall the Lakers had their star power available night in and night out.  The end result was a solid (though not spectacular) 45-37 season, good for the seventh seed in the West.

Maintaining continuity, the Lakers return primarily the same team they fielded last year.  The subtractions are negligible with Devean George, Slava Medvedenko, Jim Jackson and Laron Profit gone.  Certainly George had been a contributor through the years, but the Lakers won't miss his inconsistency.  There's a chance that Profit could return mid-season (should a roster spot become available), but he is still recovering from a ruptured Achilles' tendon.

The core of new Lakers (Vladimir Radmanovic, Shammond Williams, Mo Evans and Jordan Farmar) should provide the team with additional depth and versatility.  Radmanovic and Williams are capable shooters.  Evans is a scrappy, energetic player who should help improve the team's perimeter defense.  It's hard to anticipate what sort of contribution Farmar will make as a rookie, but long term he could be the best acquisition of the summer.

On the bubble are young prospects like Von Wafer, J.R. Pinnock and yet to be signed restricted free agent Devin Green.  The Lakers already have 17 players under contract.  At this point it isn't clear how any of the three will make it to opening day save the Lakers making a trade (or waiving a guaranteed player).

As it stands, the Lakers have added to the roster while giving up very little.  Should the team stay healthy, overtaking last year's 45-win total should be a very achievable goal.

The Schedule
Although a better team would suggest a higher win-count, the increase is rarely as significant as fans would hope.  The rigors of an 82-game schedule provide each and every team their share of adversity.  It will be the final possessions of just a handful of games that will make all the difference.  It's certainly too early to tell if the Lakers have overcome last year's inconsistencies simply by minor roster upgrades.  LA lost a number of games they very easily could have won simply by failing to execute down the stretch.

November
The Lakers have 15 games in the month of November (including the season opener on Halloween night).  To the team's benefit, 11 are at Staples Center.  Last season the team won nearly 66% of their home games.  Because the opening month is so heavily weighted in LA, the Lakers will need to get off to a fast start.  Last year LA won only 44% of their away games.

Working in the Lakers' favor, the only elite teams they see in November (based on a win total last season of 50+ games) are the Phoenix Suns and Detroit Pistons. 

Predominately home games against reasonable competition, a strong opening month could be as high as 11 wins out of 15.  Cause for concern would be only seven or eight wins.

December
The next 16 games should provide more of a challenge for the Lakers.  A stretch of ten games with eight on the road should prove to be quite difficult.  LA will visit the Dallas Mavericks on the second night of a back to back, with a visit to the Houston Rockets on the front end. 

Another Christmas in Miami will be a nice litmus test against the now World Champion Heat.

When all is said and done the Lakers will have nine on the road and seven in LA.  An 8-8 finish for December isn't out of the question.

January
A slightly road heavy month, the Lakers will play eight of the 15 away from Staples.  The level of competition increases in January.  Once again the Lakers will visit Dallas on the second night of a back to back.  This time the opener is in San Antonio against the Spurs.  The Lakers will also host both the Mavericks and Spurs in LA, along with the Heat.

Other challenges include a visit to Houston off of a game the previous night in Memphis.  A Laker visit to the Boston Celtics won't be easy after playing the previous night against the Knicks in New York.

The Lakers could end January with more wins than losses, but it may closer to 8-7 even if they play well.

The schedule for December and January stresses important it is for the Lakers to begin the season on top in November.

February
The number of games in February is traditionally light (just 12), the Lakers begin the month with the first six on the road.  Though the competition may not be overwhelming, six games in nine days is a challenge for even the best in the league.

It seems that the Washington Wizards are always a challenge for the Lakers.  It won't be any easier with LA visiting the Indiana Pacers the night before.  After a stop in Atlanta, the Lakers will visit the Detroit Pistons and Toronto Raptors back to back.

Under normal circumstances the Lakers may be able to handle the Raptors with ease (though they too have seemingly improved over the summer).  Near the end of a difficult road trip, the Lakers may find Toronto too much to handle on tired legs.

After four winnable games in LA (Knicks, Cavaliers, Trail Blazers and Celtics), the month finishes with a pair on the road in Golden State and Utah.  It's difficult to tell how improved the Warriors will be with their major off-season move the hiring of Coach Don Nelson.  The Jazz also seem to be a solid team on paper.  The Lakers historically have struggled on the second night of back to backs.

Though it's just 12 games, the Lakers could very easily end up winning just six simply based on strength of schedule.

March
Half of the 14 games in March will be away from Staples including a four game road trip against the Suns, Minnesota Timberwolves, Milwaukee Bucks (on the second night of a back to back) and Philadelphia 76ers.

The competition in March is relatively lighter, but with four sets of back to backs including a visit to Memphis and New Orleans on successive nights could make March more difficult than it should be.

An 8-6 record would be reasonable, but this would be the month for the Lakers to make a charge.  A 10-4 record may be difficult, but it's not out of the question.

April
The Lakers finish the season with ten in April.  Once again, half are away, leaving November is the only month of the season where the Lakers have more games at home than on the road.

The level of competition is reasonable though not necessarily overwhelming.  The Lakers see just five teams with one of each home and away against the Clippers, Kings, Suns, Nuggets and Sonics.  The only team in the group that didn't make the post-season last year was Seattle.

Games on the road against the Clippers (though still in Los Angeles), Nuggets and Suns are on the second nights of back to backs.

It won't be an easy month, but the Lakers should be able to make a final push.

A very strong finish would be 7-3, though that certainly won't be easy as every game is likely to have significant playoff implications.

The Bottom Line
Every team hopes to stay healthy and if the Lakers can get another 80 games each out of Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom without any major injuries to any of the contributing role players, the Lakers should be able to finish the 82-game schedule with momentum leading into the playoffs.

One major concern is Kobe Bryant's health coming off of surgery.  To date he's still not cleared for running.  The added depth at guard will need to lighten the load for the Laker star.

If the Lakers are indeed a significantly improved team and are blessed with good health, 50 wins is certainly attainable.

If the summer acquisitions are less than impressive and injuries nag the club, 43 wins could be the downside . . . putting the Lakers right on the playoff bubble for the eighth seed.  A slow start in November could be very costly once the schedule turns more road-heavy.

All things considered, put the 2006-7 Los Angeles Lakers down for an 48-34 regular season record.

I believe we will surpass Eric's prediction, but he broke it down pretty well...Downside was 43 wins. Last year, people said we'd be LUCKY to win 43 games...I say it's gunna be 50 or more, putting us under elite status, finally back where we belong...PeACe

« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 05:20:52 PM by Now_I_Know »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1954 on: September 26, 2006, 11:41:55 AM »
Jackson a positive influence on Brown

By Ross Siler Staff Writer

EL SEGUNDO - No matter how low Kwame Brown got last season, Lakers coach Phil Jackson refused to introduce any more negativity into Brown's basketball mindset.

When Brown was struggling with the triangle offense - struggling sometimes just to catch the ball in the post - Jackson tried to break down the game to its basics. All he asked of Brown was to run the floor, rebound and play defense.

Now the Lakers are hoping Brown can put together the pieces and pick up where he left off last season, when he averaged 12.4 points and 8.6 rebounds in the final 18 games with Chris Mihm lost to an ankle injury.

Just a few days before the opening of training camp next week, Brown talked about the importance of gaining his teammates' trust and believing in himself. The difference this season could be as simple as having confidence with the ball down low instead of quickly unloading it to Kobe Bryant or Lamar Odom.

"I think now that when I get the ball, I've earned the trust in them and in myself to go ahead and go to work," Brown said.

General manager Mitch Kupchak said a change of scenery undoubtedly benefited Brown, who came to the Lakers last summer in a sign-and-trade deal from Washington. Even now, though, Brown is far from a fully developed player.

"He has to just be in the gym and continue to work on his game," Kupchak said. "He has all the physical gifts that any player would die to have. But it's been that way since high school. Everybody knows that.

"He made great strides the last 1-2 months last season, but he has to build on that and continue that this season."

Brown walked around all summer with a card in his wallet bearing the numbers 15 and 10. Jackson gave it to him at the team's exit meetings in May, trying to motivate Brown with a goal of points and rebounds he could average this season. 

Asked if this could be a breakthrough year for him, Brown did not hesitate in answering yes. He is only 24, younger even than Smush Parker, yet will be entering his sixth NBA season.

"I don't like saying that because every year I've said that, I've gotten hurt," Brown said. "After my third year, I had a great finish with the Wizards, then I broke my foot that summer.

"I just want to come in healthy. That's it. If I come in healthy with a positive attitude, then I'm good."

Brown spent the off-season strengthening his legs to avoid a repeat of the hamstring injury that cost him 10 games last season. He worked on the jump hooks and short jumpers he hopes will become staples of his game.

When it comes to his free-throw shooting, Brown also might be a changed man.

He shot a career-worst 54.5 percent last season and admitted being wary of going to the line. But Brown is able to laugh at the memory of his unfortunate airballs.

"It's not that I improved as a foul shooter; I improved mentally," Brown said. "Most of the time, I didn't even want to get fouled because I didn't want to go to the line.

"At the end of the year, all they would do is foul me, so I'm like, `OK, I've got to go to the line, so you might as well stand in there and just make it."'

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1955 on: September 26, 2006, 12:58:02 PM »
Any news on Lamar Odom since his horrible tragedy?
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1956 on: September 26, 2006, 05:19:48 PM »

I heard he's been working out a lot since then, hopefully, everything will be okay...He said he was gunna be an all-star this season, so that should be interesting to watch...PeACe

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #1957 on: September 26, 2006, 08:36:04 PM »
I TALK 2 HIM ON MYSPACE :D

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #1958 on: September 26, 2006, 09:35:18 PM »
Turiaf & Vujacic steppin up?

The Lakers have been gathering in advance of training camp, which opens next week. General manager Mitch Kupchak said he was particularly impressed by Ronny Turiaf, who has had a whirlwind schedule here at the end of summer.

Starting with the FIBA world championships, Turiaf has been to Japan, Martinique, Paris, New York and now Los Angeles. The Lakers probably would have preferred that he play for their summer-league team and spend the summer working out at the team's practice facility. But Turiaf couldn't turn down the chance to play for his country, and it sounds like he could be an impact player for the Lakers this season.

I hadn't heard much over the summer about Sasha Vujacic, who will be entering his third season. Kupchak said Vujacic has grown into his body and was rolling the sleeves up on his shirt to show off some muscles on the practice court. Said Kupchak: ``He doesn't look like a kid any more.''
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1959 on: September 26, 2006, 09:56:05 PM »
Kupchak said Vujacic has grown into his body and was rolling the sleeves up on his shirt to show off some muscles on the practice court. Said Kupchak: ``He doesn't look like a kid any more.''

He better make over 40% of his 3's this up-coming season.

Tha G In Deee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • If it don't make dollaz, it don't make sense.
« Reply #1960 on: September 27, 2006, 02:31:52 PM »

I heard he's been working out a lot since then, hopefully, everything will be okay...He said he was gunna be an all-star this season, so that should be interesting to watch...PeACe
^I hope he makes it this time...I haven't felt more excited about the new NBA season starting in a long time, I've got the feeling the Lakers are gonna make it to at least 5th or 6th spot for the Playoffs next year... 8)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1961 on: September 27, 2006, 08:35:47 PM »
VVV LMAO@Devean George getting owned in the NBA 2K7 manual VVV

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1962 on: September 27, 2006, 08:50:33 PM »
Lil Wayne To Collaborate With Kobe.

Kobe Bryant shocked fans when he decided to change his number from 8 to 24. The new number will be revealed next season.

But Hip-Hop fans will be able to get a sneak peak of the new jersey soon.
The surprising part is, fans will see the number on Lil Wayne's chest first. The rapper, who has openly stated that he is a fan of KB24, will be the first person besides Kobe to rock the new number.

The unveiling of this will be this week as Wayne hits Los Angeles for a brief stop. He is currently on the road with the Up Close and Personal Tour.
Apparently, the idea came from Kobe himself.

"When Kobe heard about the concert, he reached out to me 'cause he's a fan of my music and I'm a fan of his skills on the court," Wayne said to MTV. "He said he wanted me to be the first to represent his new jersey, number 24, and I was with it!"

rik

« Reply #1963 on: September 27, 2006, 08:54:51 PM »
VVV LMAO@Devean George getting owned in the NBA 2K7 manual VVV

LMAO!  :D

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1964 on: September 28, 2006, 02:02:54 PM »
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels