Author Topic: Bush wanted to bomb Al-Jazeera?  (Read 1016 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Bush wanted to bomb Al-Jazeera?
« on: November 22, 2005, 01:09:15 PM »
The White House has dismissed claims George Bush was talked out of bombing Arab television station al-Jazeera by UK Prime Minister Tony Blair.
The allegations were made by an unnamed source in the Daily Mirror newspaper.

A White House official said: "We are not going to dignify something so outlandish with a response."

Ex-UK minister Peter Kilfoyle, who opposed the Iraq war, had called for a transcript of the alleged conversation to be published.

Launched in 1996, al-Jazeera is best known outside of the Arab world for carrying exclusive al-Qaeda messages.

The station is based in Qatar, a close ally of Washington's and the location of US military headquarters during the Iraq war.

'Top Secret'

According to the Mirror's source, the transcript records a conversation during Mr Blair's visit to the White House on 16 April 2004, in the wake of an attempt to root out insurgents in the Iraqi city of Falluja, in which 30 US Marines died.

If true, then this underlines the desperation of the Bush administration as events in Iraq began to spiral out of control
Sir Menzies Campbell, Liberal Democrat foreign affairs spokesman 

The memo, which the Mirror says is stamped "Top Secret", allegedly details how Mr Blair argued against what the paper calls a "plot" to attack the station's buildings in the business district of Doha, the capital city of Qatar.

A Downing Street spokesman said: "We have got nothing to say about this story. We don't comment on leaked documents."

But Mr Kilfoyle - a former defence minister and leading Labour opponent of the Iraq war - has called for the full text to be published.

"I believe that Downing Street ought to publish this memo in the interests of transparency, given that much of the detail appears to be in the public domain.

"I think they ought to clarify what exactly happened on this occasion.

"If it was the case that President Bush wanted to bomb al-Jazeera in what is after all a friendly country, it speaks volumes and it raises questions about subsequent attacks that took place on the press that wasn't embedded with coalition forces."

Al-Jazeera reaction

Mr Kilfoyle said he had not seen the memo, but had learnt of its alleged contents at the time of the original leak and believed it tallied with the Mirror's report.

In a statement, al-Jazeera said it needed to be sure of the report's authenticity before reaching any conclusions and urged Downing Street to confirm its status as soon as possible.

The statement said: "If the report is correct, then this would be both shocking and worrisome not only to al-Jazeera but to media organisations across the world.

"It would cast serious doubts in regard to the US administration's version of previous incidents involving al-Jazeera's journalists and offices."

Liberal Democrat foreign affairs spokesman Sir Menzies Campbell said: "If true, then this underlines the desperation of the Bush administration as events in Iraq began to spiral out of control.

"On this occasion, the prime minister may have been successful in averting political disaster, but it shows how dangerous his relationship with President Bush has been."

'Joke'

BBC News website world affairs correspondent Paul Reynolds said: "An attack on al-Jazeera would also have been an attack on Qatar, where the US military has its Middle East headquarters. So the possibility has to be considered that Mr Bush was in fact making some kind of joke and that this was not a serious proposition."

According to The Mirror, the transcript is the document which allegedly turned up in the constituency office of former Labour MP Tony Clarke in May 2004.

Mr Clarke - who voted against the Iraq War and lost his Northampton South seat in this May's election - said he returned the document to the government because of fears British troops' lives could be put at risk if it became public.

Cabinet Office civil servant David Keogh has been charged under the Official Secrets Act of passing it to Mr Clarke's former researcher Leo O'Connor.

Both men are bailed to appear at Bow Street Magistrates Court next week.

Mr Clarke refused to discuss the contents of the document which he received, telling the Press Association his priority was supporting Mr O'Connor, who he said did "exactly the right thing" in bringing it to his attention.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk_politics/4459296.stm

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Kassem

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: Bush wanted to bomb Al-Jazeera?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 01:14:36 PM »
A cameraman working for Aljazeera has been beaten and briefly arrested by Israeli soldiers while filming a protest in the West Bank.
Nabil al-Mazzawi was detained along with three other foreign protestors while filiming a demonstration against Israel's construction of the separation barrier.
He was later released, Aljazeera management confirmed.
Aljazeera's editor-in-chief Ahmad Sheikh said al-Mazzawi was filming one of the Israeli occupation soldiers who was beating activists during the protest. Another soldier then beat the cameraman before arrresting him, he said.
"Nabil al-Mazzawi was filming one of the Israeli soldiers who was beating activists during a protest"
The incident took place in the village of Beilin, near the town of Ram Allah, at a weekly protest against Israel's controversial barrier.
Aljazeera correspondent Shireen Abu Aqleh said al-Mazzawi was beaten and detained, along with his camera and the film which he was taking at the time of the incident.
Commenting on the incident, an Israeli police spokesman said an Aljazeera cameraman had been arrested during the protest after first assaulting a border policeman.
The spokesman told AFP he did not know whether al-Mazzawi was beaten, but if so, it was within his rights to file a complaint.
Six Israeli peace activists were also arrested during the protest, rally organiser Abd Allah Abu Rahma told AFP.
Israeli peace activists, foreigners and Palestinians hold regular protests in the area against the barrier. They are routinely broken up by Israeli forces firing rubber bullets or teargas.
Israel has insisted the massive barrier of electric fencing, barbed wire and concrete wall is vital to stop potential attackers from infiltrating the country and Jewish settlements in the West Bank.
The Palestinians condemn the wall as an attempt to grab their land and undermine the viability of their promised state.
On 9 July 2004, the International Court of Justice issued a non-binding ruling that parts of the 650km (410-mile) barrier which criss-crosses the West Bank were illegal and should be torn dow
United Arab States

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 01:16:38 PM »
This is crazy, but the only way I will believe this if I actually hear this conversation between Bush and Blair

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 05:01:29 PM »
i remember hearing some thing re: some top level us faggot said that al jazzera was a threat, needed to be taken out somethin like that
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

J Bananas

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 05:27:04 PM »
I'm down. Fox News after that...

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 05:32:41 PM »

Al-Jazeera is a terrorist news network. Some of their reporters have been found guilty in Spain of belonging to Al-Quada.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 06:03:13 PM by Real American »

J Bananas

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 05:37:14 PM »
^^^
well...if i worked for al jazeera yes i would be guilty of belonging to al jazeera. im not saying dont bomb em. i think we should, in fact i'd wanna watch the channel while their studio gets blown up

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 06:04:03 PM »
I meant Al-Quada.

The whole story about Bush wanting to blow up their headquarters is bullshit.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 06:46:57 PM »

Al-Jazeera is a terrorist news network. Some of their reporters have been found guilty in Spain of belonging to Al-Quada.

Kassem

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 08:08:19 PM »
I meant Al-Quada.

The whole story about Bush wanting to blow up their headquarters is bullshit.
Real American was just with bush on the phone and asked him
United Arab States

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 02:01:33 PM »

Seriously though, Al Jazeera is based in Qatar. That is also where the US  military command center is. Do you really think the US would commit an attack on Al Jazeera in a peaceful country that is also an ally? And not expect worldwide outrage?

This whole memo is bullshit.

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 02:05:12 PM »
And not expect worldwide outrage?

Like that even matters...
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Kassem

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 02:41:47 PM »
I Don't think bush would be stupid enough to bomb qatar,but al jazeera got bombed in iraq and afghanistan by US missles,which raises a few ??????????
United Arab States

Woodrow

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 11:13:09 PM »
Looks like Al Jazeera is toast then... If Bush orders it, which he didn't. That's outlandish.

Don Seer

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 02:27:21 AM »

Seriously though, Al Jazeera is based in Qatar. That is also where the US  military command center is. Do you really think the US would commit an attack on Al Jazeera in a peaceful country that is also an ally? And not expect worldwide outrage?

This whole memo is bullshit.

duh!.. where does it say they were gonna attack them there? they have offices in iraq silly...