Author Topic: Thoughts on Daz after finally hearing the discography  (Read 1755 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Thoughts on Daz after finally hearing the discography
« on: May 23, 2007, 02:06:10 PM »
First of all, I didn't review the WHORIDEWITUS comps or the G-Crunk album cause I knew I wouldn't like it at al.

Now on with the show

Retaliation, Revenge & Get Back- Solid record, very reminiscent of Dogg Food. Great guest roster, the DP duo is in fine form here, great production. Classic intro, but given the uniformity of the material it just doesn't push past dope album to the near classic bracket to me. although songs like "Gang Bangin' ass criminal" and "Initiated" are straight heat. A simpler way to put it is that everything that COULD have gone wrong with Dogg Food but didn't, went wrong here instead.(uniformity of material, no Kurupt to balance out Daz' repetitive raps and beats. No Dre)-3.9

R.A.W.(Ready and Willing)-Near classic to me, about as good as Tha Streetz Iz A Mutha. Great production, Daz shows maturity (Street Gangs, Whatchu talkin' bout, What It Iz) and this album just captures cali sunshine in a supremely enjoyable way. Kurupt truly shines in these appearances. With tracks like R.A.W. and My system, as well as Fells good, you can hear Daz build on the west coast sound and not just retread it. I give this album a 4.15.

This is the Life I Lead- Last album with the DP together before the break up. Kurupt's appearances are cool, Daz raps cool, the beats are cool, there are no weak tracks but nothing about this record hit me like 'whoah' though. If you need more west coast g-funk/dpg shit, you won't be disappointed here but there's nothing really new about this record. -3.65

DPGC You Know What Im Throwin Up -see above, but also it's cool to see Snoop doing skits (but this is countered by the lack of Kurupt) and rapping on Daz tracks again.
Daz intentionally does alot of DF style beats here, it's cool but nothing new.
This album would be a 4 with Kurupt easily.

I Got Love In These Streets- with the exception of the title track (a really funky, sunny day, hip hop ass track. dopeness), see above. dope, no whack tracks, but nothing new or stand out either.
This album would be a 4 with Kurupt easily.

Tha Dogg Pound Gangsta LP -Daz does his best to give the people what they want by updating alot of his most well known and loved tracks as well as doing some 'new' tracks. Very entertaining and no whack tracks, but nothing new. Gotta give him props for listening to the fans here though. This album would get a higher rating with Kurupt. Sometimes the beats are so dogg food-ish it's a crime Kurupt isn't on 'em.- 3.9

So So Gangsta- This album actually is very entertaining and for the most part well-produced. It's a truly refreshing break from the 90's mired g funk Daz is in for the ast 3 albums and his style works really well on alot of these southern style club beats (that are actually done really melodically), all the dogg pound tracks here are fire. the Kurupt/storch track is a notable for sure.- 3.9

daz only has a couple records that stick out to me (rrgb, raw, dpglp, ssg) but all his records have more than a handful of WC bangers(i got love in these streets, dpgc u know what i'm throwin up while not exceptional albums both have some sick tracks) and none of his albums have more than moments of whackness. all his stuff is melodic and more than listenable, especially for those who are fans of his work.

unfortunately, alot of his stuff is just repeats of each other. it's kind of like chocolate or pizza. pizza is always bomb but you can't just have pizza after pizza after pizza after pizza alll the time you know?

-T

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 04:00:04 PM by Tanjibility agrees that Ron Paul is the realest candidate »

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
Re: Thoughts on Daz after finally hearing the discography
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 02:12:56 PM »
you missed GANGSTA CRUNK from 05.... but that cd is horrible

bout time u put this up//i will review it latr

got to work./...

FUCK my C and E button stick bad

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:15:44 PM »
I'm far from done his catalog. RR&GB is amazing, extremely near classic for me. Raw is real good, not as good as RR&GB
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

dclee

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 02:22:54 PM »
RRGB is my favorite daz album.

Paul

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 02:23:43 PM »
agree with you on the most part of it, def about kurupt making these albums better, i got love in these streets is extremely underrated, so many good tracks on ther and a solid album overall

ill post more on my thoughts later
funkyfreshintheflesh

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 02:27:13 PM »
i would probably give RAW a 4.5 mics. that album is pretty damn amazing with some of daz's best beats and most focused and sharp. pretty much right but i haven't heard so so gangsta or i got love in these streetz....

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 04:56:14 PM »
I know exactly what you mean with the pizza ref, im a fan of daz but there isnt enough variation in his work.

Personally RAW and The Dogg Pound Gangsta LP are my favourite albums. I think So So Def on the first few listens sounds good but then the overall lack of depth in the lyrics and beats shine through. It sounds like an album grasping for the mainstream but not having anything that stands out from anything that is already out there.

RR&GB is a good album but not on the same level as other Death Row releases of that time. Your spot on with This Life I Lead, its a very solid album that you can listen to the whole way through but there is nothing exceptional on it. Its grat hearing Milke Dean and Daz' s production, id really like them to work together again.

I Got Love In These Streets, ive never really given a proper listen to . You also left out the albums daz put out with JT Tha Bigga Figga but im guessing thats not strictly Daz's solo work.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

GunMaster G-9

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • click the ''Give Props'' link above
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 05:14:42 PM »
daz is awsome.. he really needed someone to hepl him make better album covers.... nevrer judge an album by the cover.... his covers might have been crap but music was awsome.

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 05:39:03 PM »
i would probably give RAW a 4.5 mics. that album is pretty damn amazing with some of daz's best beats and most focused and sharp. pretty much right but i haven't heard so so gangsta or i got love in these streetz....
I give it 6/5 mainly because it's unheard of.  I got his album when he slangin' at vip store in long beach.  When I heard the raw track....  it made me feel pac was alive. haha
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

d-nice

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 05:53:30 PM »
Tanj, on You Know What I'm Throwin Up, Daz did not do any of the beats. It was Meech, Fred, Quaze and Soopafly. But other than that I feel pretty much the same you do. I respect Daz's hustle and sometimes he gets a little repetitive but he always has enough dope tracks for me at least to cop his records, excluding Gangsta Crunk. I would like to see Daz spend a little more time mixing and mastering his albums though. Mike Dean where are you?

kerim34

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 06:17:08 PM »
rr&gb is clearly daz's best album..... its the closest thing to dogg food that ever came out...and it has kurupt as a beast, before his rhyming nigga with nigga shitty rhyming...

Paul

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »
Tanj, on You Know What I'm Throwin Up, Daz did not do any of the beats. It was Meech, Fred, Quaze and Soopafly. But other than that I feel pretty much the same you do. I respect Daz's hustle and sometimes he gets a little repetitive but he always has enough dope tracks for me at least to cop his records, excluding Gangsta Crunk. I would like to see Daz spend a little more time mixing and mastering his albums though. Mike Dean where are you?

shon don also produced on YKWITU,

gangsta crunk isnt tht bad as people make out, ther are a couple of bangers in ther, ill post a couple up later
funkyfreshintheflesh

d-nice

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 07:18:38 AM »

shon don also produced on YKWITU,

gangsta crunk isnt tht bad as people make out, ther are a couple of bangers in ther, ill post a couple up later

Shon Don, I know I was forgetting one. Gangsta Crunk had a few on there, I think he was trying to show range on that album because I think he said in a interview that he would make a cd for each region of music. GC was south and DPGLP was west so I think he was just trying something new. I just could not get into it that much.

daggo

• 'G'
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 07:53:28 AM »
I agree
It brings something different into daz discography...

Paul

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 08:27:38 AM »
time to ryde on em' feat yo gotti off of gangsta crunk was one of my favourite songs from 2005
funkyfreshintheflesh