Author Topic: Exclusive: BIG HUTCH AKA COLD 187UM (Dr. Dre/Eazy E/Jerry Heller/Snoop)  (Read 2743 times)

jonathandubcnn

For the second time in 2008 [February 2008 interview], Dubcnn caught up with Cold 187um AKA Big Hutch for an exclusive interview. In this two part feature, he reveals the truth behind the origin of Dr. Dre's signature sound, which he introduced to Death Row Records and resulted in an aftermath of success for the mega producer.

Also, hear how Snoop Dogg really came up... You'll be surprised to hear 187 open up about his personal business dealings with Eazy-E and Jerry Heller, uncovering a very different perspective on the way business was handled at Ruthless Records.

Cold 187um eventually realized he couldn't live Above The Law forever -- being arrested and sent away -- causing him to reflect on the message he was portraying and accepting accountability for his youthful ignorance, as he fought his way through the gruelling life behind bars.

Having these talents locked up made up for the explosive new album, Fresh Out The Pen…
Read this powerful, compelling, controversial, and moving testimony in the exclusive, heart-felt Dubcnn interview by Jonathan Hay and Chad Kiser.

http://dubcnn.com/interviews/bighutch08-part1/

As always, you can hit me up on www.myspace.com/jonathanhay or email me at haywire@dubcnn.com and be sure to leave feedback on our forums!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:41:24 AM by jonathandubcnn »

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
Re: BIG HUTCH AKA COLD 187UM (Part 1)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:29:31 AM »
he a cool kat... he is originally from dallas.. mom nem still stay down here.. they some cool folks..remember when 100 spokes came out...seen em on tv.. went outside to a mall here this nigga was

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Exclusive: BIG HUTCH AKA COLD 187UM (Dr. Dre/Eazy E/Jerry Heller/Snoop)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 07:33:45 AM »
Props Jon!!

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 08:16:31 AM »
nice job Jonathan & Chad ;)

Dubcnn: Do you feel that you get enough credit for all that you have brought to the table and accomplished for the hip-hop culture?

I’m here to let the world know that I'm the one who created it [the original G-Funk sound], you know what I mean? So, basically, I mean [Dr] Dre had a situation to where he had [a chance] to let people know that he was highly influenced by a producer like myself, you know what I mean? That I'm the one that brought G Funk to the table -- but I think people think it's like I'm some kid that came up under Dre that's like a little bit bitter that I didn't get all my props from other things that I've done in the music industry, ya dig? And it's like I'm trying to jump on the bandwagon like everybody else and say ‘Well, Dre ain't this and Dre ain't that...’ and, you know, what I think what's bad is that I was Dr. Dre's understudy for a lot of years at Ruthless [Records], right? And when I created G-Funk, it was a more so situation to where it was more our coined flavor of Above The Law, so he kind of took some theories and ideas that I had and brought it over to Death Row.

Now I didn’t have a problem with that because, as I just explained to you, I was his understudy, no problem, you know what I’m saying, you know, you give some stuff, I give some stuff, we gel together, you know what I mean? What my problem was, when you’re addressed with it and you know ‘how did you find this new sound or whatever’, you didn’t say, ‘well, it’s this kid I worked with -- 187aka Big Hutch -- you know, so on and so on, I got the theory from him’ and he never really coined the fact of where it ever came from.

Snoop in turn came through us... Snoop was actually in development by me, I was developing Snoop as well as Warren G and they ended up turning the corner and ended up being at Death Row when there was a lot of turmoil going on at Ruthless Records. It’s alright, I’m just saying, if I get an idea from somebody, I should give them their props. It’s not like I’m saying he’s wack or anything, so I don’t want anybody [to think] that I have a problem with Dr. Dre, I love Dr. Dre. Dr. Dre, along with Eazy E are the guys who put me in the game; you know what I’m saying. But he broke camp and took a style that I innovated, you know, sorry! I came to Ruthless when Ruthless was built by Dr. Dre, you feel me? It was already built, ya dig? But I can say, I invented that style, that flavor…

well hutch, you just showed in your response that you are a bitter kid that needs to grow up
:P
http://www.dubcnn.com/media/video/bishoplive/

jonathandubcnn

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 08:40:16 AM »
thanks for the feedback  8)  it was great talking to Cold187, thanks to Rud for making that happen!!!

smegma

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 08:42:16 AM »
Cool. I'll make sure to check this out :)

s.a.k.10

• 'G'
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 08:49:11 AM »
he a cool dude....
its clear listenin now how his sound was taken...

s.a.k.10

• 'G'
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 09:17:31 AM »
^^in my eyes yes

woods

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 09:30:37 AM »
Dope interview, looking forward to part 2

COMPTONRIDA1

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 09:49:44 AM »
i was wonderin why above the law and kokane dissed the shit out of snoop....

Chad

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 09:55:42 AM »
thanks for all the feedback!  Jon & I are continuing to bring you guys more dope shit!  8)
Resume: BBC / HipHopDX / TMZ / Billboard / XXL / LA Weekly / AFH // Ice Cube. MC Ren . Sir Jinx . DOC . Too Short . Fredwreck . DJ Jazzy Jeff

www.chadkiser.com
Twitter:  @chadmkiser
IG:  chadmkiser

jonathandubcnn

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 04:45:23 PM »
thanks  8)

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 04:50:16 PM »
Good read. Part 2 should be interesting also.  Thanks...

I still gotta check out his new record too.  Only heard a couple tracks so far.

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: BIG HUTCH AKA COLD 187UM (Part 1)
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 06:40:37 PM »
he a cool kat... he is originally from dallas.. mom nem still stay down here.. they some cool folks..remember when 100 spokes came out...seen em on tv.. went outside to a mall here this nigga was
I knew this info.....but alot of hiphop heads really was thinking he from the westcoast.......once again the souf has molded the west to some what,what it is tooday.(DOC-COLD187)southern boys....plus he the one who started thta g-funk sound.

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 06:46:25 PM »
oh and did yall know that the sing song style came from big mike,and 2-3 when they where the convicts back then....they where fucking with deathrow then.yet went over to rap a lot.