Author Topic: Best West Coast Alternative Hip-Hop Song  (Read 1105 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: Best West Coast Alternative Hip-Hop Song
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2009, 06:31:46 PM »
ohhh my god....
other than
-Black Eyed Peas,
-93 'Til Infinity (which really is Hip Hop, not alternative,but I wont bother to go there again with you again)
and
-I Wish My Brother George Was Here...
nothing from the alternative scene made it nationwide.

Even if we say that half of that tree ain't gangster rappers (which is correct  Wink).
The remaining half has released more,better and groundbreaking albums than the alternative scene.

You actually missed quite a lot of albums, such as the Pharcyde, Deltron 3030, Digital Underground. Isn't this getting off tangent though? I don't see what making it nationwide has to do with anything we've discussed so far. I said in the beginning that west coast gangsta rap has enjoyed more popularity than west coast alternative rap. That's a fact.

"The NWA/DPG family has released more,better and groundbreaking albums than the whole alternative scene alone"

None of the words "more", "better", or "groundbreaking" have anything to do with popularity. Popularity has never had anything to do with quality. In fact it would be my opinion that the most groundbreaking albums are underground, since they tend to be more experimental and creative. The same goes for quality albums, especially in this day and age.

So it's huge,but none of them really makes any noise outside California.
your point being? What does popularity have to do with quality?

So does the gangster rap scene... I'm pretty sure you haven't heard of over half of the albums I listed.
I've heard of almost all of them. I've only gotten around to listening to about half of them though.

I never said size

Yes you did.

"The NWA/DPG family has released more,better and groundbreaking albums than the whole alternative scene alone"

You clearly are talking about size here when you say the NWA family alone has released more albums than the entire alternative scene. If you meant something else, its a grammatical error.

But if you think I get my info and music from this message board,you're out of line.

My bad. I get my info on west coast mixtape rappers from this board.

I'm a critical fuck.  Wink
Keep in mind that's just my opinion. + I still got over 100 more albums to go trough from 2009,so my 2009 list ain't complete.
I went trough my 2009 list and found two retail and two street gangster albums. Can you honestly say the same about 2009´s alternative albums?

Not quite sure what you're asking here. I think the alternative west coast rap scene has been more impressive than its gangsta counterpart (hence my original post).

Gangster;
-The Jacka Tear Gas; 3.5/5
-Taje; Hot Box 3; 3.5/5
-Omar Cruz; Hand of cruz; 3.5/5
-B-Real of Cypress Hill; Smoke N Mirrors; 3.5/5

Hip Hop;
-Rome; My Demo; 3.5/5
-Magnificent Ruffians; Elevated Ruffians; 4/5
-Soul assassins; 3.5/5

Alternative;
None so far

Not surprising. How many of the albums on your list can actually be considered alternative?

lol at "hip hop"

Chad Vader

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2009, 07:38:42 PM »
ohhh my god....
other than
-Black Eyed Peas,
-93 'Til Infinity (which really is Hip Hop, not alternative,but I wont bother to go there again with you again)
and
-I Wish My Brother George Was Here...
nothing from the alternative scene made it nationwide.

Even if we say that half of that tree ain't gangster rappers (which is correct  ;) ).
The remaining half has released more,better and groundbreaking albums than the alternative scene.

You actually missed quite a lot of albums, such as the Pharcyde, Deltron 3030, Digital Underground. Isn't this getting off tangent though?

True,I stand corrected.  ;)
But still it's less than the gangster rap scene..  ;)

I don't see what making it nationwide has to do with anything we've discussed so far.
I said in the beginning that west coast gangster rap has enjoyed more popularity than west coast alternative rap. That's a fact.

:idea:
If anything, the alternative scene is even better than it was in the 90s,
with the internet and indie alternative rappers being able to gain exposure outside of their local areas.

None of the words "more", "better", or "groundbreaking" have anything to do with popularity.

You're loosing me here  :P
Where in the hell did popularity come into the mix?

Popularity has never had anything to do with quality.

True  ;)

In fact it would be my opinion that the most groundbreaking albums are underground, since they tend to be more experimental and creative.

I see what you're saying.. that's one way looking at it.  ;)
But I think it's just us "Hip Hop nerds" that look at it like that.
You know as well as me that in the bigger scheme of things,it's the albums that set trends that's viewed as groundbreaking.  ;)

The same goes for quality albums, especially in this day and age.

Very true.

So it's huge,but none of them really makes any noise outside California.

your point being? What does popularity have to do with quality?

Nothing,but remember;
If anything, the alternative scene is even better than it was in the 90s,
with the internet and indie alternative rappers being able to gain exposure outside of their local areas.

So does the gangster rap scene... I'm pretty sure you haven't heard of over half of the albums I listed.

I've heard of almost all of them. I've only gotten around to listening to about half of them though.

Then,I stand corrected  ;)
As I said I got over 150 albums waiting for me. Probably 1/3 of them is from the West Coast,not sure if the albums you listed is in my folder though.

I never said size

Yes you did.

You clearly are talking about size here when you say the NWA family alone has released more albums than the entire alternative scene.
If you meant something else, its a grammatical error.

ohh well...  :P I give up  :P

I get the feeling you're stubborn,just for the hell of it.

But if you think I get my info and music from this message board,you're out of line.

My bad. I get my info on west coast mixtape rappers from this board.

DubCC is good for single tracks and interview updates.
+ there's a couple of nice cats here. (You know who you are)

is my best friend for updates these days.  ;)

I'm a critical fuck.  Wink
Keep in mind that's just my opinion. + I still got over 100 more albums to go trough from 2009,so my 2009 list ain't complete.
I went trough my 2009 list and found two retail and two street gangster albums.
Can you honestly say the same about 2009´s alternative albums?

Not quite sure what you're asking here. I think the alternative west coast rap scene has been more impressive than its gangster counterpart (hence my original post).

Answer below;

Gangster;
-The Jacka Tear Gas; 3.5/5
-Taje; Hot Box 3; 3.5/5
-Omar Cruz; Hand of cruz; 3.5/5
-B-Real of Cypress Hill; Smoke N Mirrors; 3.5/5

Hip Hop;
-Rome; My Demo; 3.5/5
-Magnificent Ruffians; Elevated Ruffians; 4/5
-Soul assassins; 3.5/5

Alternative;
None so far

Not surprising. How many of the albums on your list can actually be considered alternative?

-T-Kash Brains All Over The Streets; 3.5/5
-Del; Funk Man the stimulus package; 2.5/5
-The Conscious Daughters; The Nutcracker Suite; 2.5/5
-Souls in Chains; Rebellious of the Sunrise 2/5
-Inverse; So True EP; 3/5
-Hopsin: Haywire; 3.5/5

Remember that I still got over 100 albums from 2009 to check out.
But again fell free to add albums that's missing here;
List of 2009 albums and links to their respective threads (add on)

lol at "hip hop"

lets not go there again.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:07:26 PM by Vader »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2009, 07:03:24 AM »
I got two from W.C. and the Jacka's last albums. I don't listen to anyone else from Mob Figaz. Really, you're going to include mixtapes? That's a sign in itself that west coast gangsta rap is suffering.
LOL at that stupid statement.
mixtapes are actually becoming more important, due to the fact that original production is being put on there nowadays

Paul

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2009, 07:31:02 AM »
MURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favourite rapper right now

Great down to earth relatable, story telling hip hop, with top class production

(I think hes classed as alternative)

The Zion I release this year was good too
funkyfreshintheflesh

ThaRealSupreme

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2009, 02:39:30 PM »
I got two from W.C. and the Jacka's last albums. I don't listen to anyone else from Mob Figaz. Really, you're going to include mixtapes? That's a sign in itself that west coast gangsta rap is suffering.
LOL at that stupid statement.
mixtapes are actually becoming more important, due to the fact that original production is being put on there nowadays

Your statement proves that west coast gangsta rap is suffering. Why are mixtapes irrlevant when the majority of ppl on this forum doesn't give a damn about Spider Loc's mixtape a month even when he dropped two indie albums but now mixtapes are more important now?? lol Get more topics in this forum promoting or asking about real lyricists and up the thread count just like The Game, Dr. Dre, Nipsey Hussle and Snoop dogg threads then I'll believe ya'll know about good music and aren't being close minded. 8)
I stand before God when I say that I'm not a facade_Supreme

Chad Vader

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »
you might have brought up relevance, but I clearly stated that popularity isn't important.

I see you're OK again...  :laugh:

Dude....I'm just rehashing what was said in the previous thread, as you were trying to say it was about something it wasn't.
Go back and look through it if you feel the need to. I never once brought up relevancy,
therefore the conversation can't originally have been about relevancy, now can it?  :idea:
In fact it never was about relevancy. You were the one who brought up popularity,
and I told you then that it wasn't important to the discussion, as I was talking about who is currently releasing better music.

You'll argue about anything won't you?

I get the feeling you're stubborn,just for the hell of it.

Anyway....
Here's the few alternative albums that made some impact outside Cali,be it quality,relevance and even popularity.
(Feel free the add the few I forgot. Can't be that many more  ;D Hope you get the point anyway...)

-Black Eyed Peas; Any of their crap (lets say they got ten albums,just to have a number  :P)
-Souls of Mischief; 93 'Til Infinity
-Del; I Wish My Brother George Was Here & Deltron 3030
-Pharcyde; Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde
-Digital Underground; Sex Packets
(15 albums)

VS

A small selection of the many gangster rap albums that made some impact outside Cali,be it quality,relevance and even popularity.

-NWA (including Solo); Most of their dopness (lets say they got ten dope albums,just to have a number  :P)
-DPGC (including Solo); Doggystyle & Doggfood
-Too Short; Born to Mack,Life Is...Too Short & Get in Where You Fit In (more pimp,but then again Soul Of Mischief is Hip Hop,but not lets go there again)
(15 albums)

Now seriously,please tell me you´re just arguing for the hell of it.  :P ;)
Or will you go against the grain to very last end?  :laugh:

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2009, 12:56:05 AM »
your list is a crime. Jurassic 5? Freestyle fellowship? Haiku De'tat? Murs? Eligh and the Grouch? Living Legends? The Shape Shifters? Madlib? Stones Throw Records? Dilated Peoples? The Alkaholiks? Blackalicious? People Under the Stairs? That's just the tip of the iceberg. What's the point in discussing alternative hip hop if you are going to pretend most of the artists don't exist?

Now I have to assume one of two things. Either you are completely ignorant about the alternative hip hop scene, or you are talking about popularity again. I believe its the latter, because you seem like a knowledgeable guy. In which case, I'm simply going to point out again that this argument isn't about popularity, and refer you back to the post which you quoted.

Dude....I'm just rehashing what was said in the previous thread, as you were trying to say it was about something it wasn't.
Go back and look through it if you feel the need to. I never once brought up relevancy,
therefore the conversation can't originally have been about relevancy, now can it?  :idea:
In fact it never was about relevancy. You were the one who brought up popularity,
and I told you then that it wasn't important to the discussion, as I was talking about who is currently releasing better music.

You'll argue about anything won't you?

Any retard knows west coast gangsta rap was more popular than west coast alternative. That isn't relevant to this discussion. What was under discussion, is what scene is better. And I firmly believe that the current west coast alternative scene is better than the gangsta rap scene. And that during the 90s, the alternative scene kept up the level of quality as its gangsta rap counterpart, though obviously it was heard less.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:15:19 AM by rapsodie sees the bitch in you »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2009, 01:21:53 AM »
Another thing. Do you actually consider consider all of Too Short's albums quality albums? Don't make me lol.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2009, 03:56:35 PM »

-Too Short; Born to Mack,Life Is...Too Short & Get in Where You Fit In (more pimp,but then again Soul Of Mischief is Hip Hop,but not lets go there again)

I don't know why you're still on that tip about hip hop. I'm getting really confused here. Are you bullshitting or being serious? D-Nice said on that other thread that you were just bullshitting and messing around with me. And you didn't disagree. So why are you sticking to it?

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2009, 10:37:39 PM »

I don't know why you're still on that tip about hip hop. I'm getting really confused here. Are you bullshitting or being serious? D-Nice said on that other thread that you were just bullshitting and messing around with me. And you didn't disagree. So why are you sticking to it?

I said maybe. I have no idea what Vader's intentions are.

Chad Vader

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2009, 11:17:13 PM »
your list is a crime.
-Jurassic 5?
-Freestyle fellowship?
-Haiku De'tat?
-Murs?
-Eligh and the Grouch?
-Living Legends?
-The Shape Shifters?
-Madlib?
-Stones Throw Records?
-Dilated Peoples?
-The Alkaholiks?
-Blackalicious?
-People Under the Stairs?

That's just the tip of the iceberg.
What's the point in discussing alternative hip hop if you are going to pretend most of the artists don't exist?

Now I have to assume one of two things;
-Either you are completely ignorant about the alternative hip hop scene,
-or you are talking about popularity again.

I believe its the latter, because you seem like a knowledgeable guy.
In which case, I'm simply going to point out again that this argument isn't about popularity, and refer you back to the post which you quoted.

OK.... I shouldn't really have to explain why I left those out. Or do I?  :P
Most of the artists you mentioned is underground/lesser known artists and/or region favorites and/or personal favorites.
For every artist you mentioned there's a
"Mac Mall,Ray Luv,Seff The Gaffla,C-Bo etc....."
Nobody other than "us" really recognize them,if you know what I'm saying?
The artists and albums originally brought up is recognized coast to coast as bonafied classics.... no question about it.
So by bringing in underground/lesser known artists and/or region favorites and/or personal favorites is pointless.
Subjective opinions don't hold any value in this matter.

To put this in perspective for you,here's two reviews of the Bay area classic Mac Mall; Illegal Business.
One by San Fransisco based magazine "The Bomb" and one by NYC based based magazine "The Source"

Official reviews;

Mac Mall Illegal Business? review The Source Magazine No.53 Feb.1994

The Source fucked up their rating  :-X >:(
Rating fixed;

Mac Mall Illegal Business? review The Bomb Magazine No.22 September.1993

Get the picture now?

Any retard knows west coast gangster rap was more popular than west coast alternative. That isn't relevant to this discussion.
What was under discussion, is what scene is better.
And I firmly believe that the current west coast alternative scene is better than the gangster rap scene.

You know what I will go halfway on you on this one. (That is if Hip Hop is included  ;)  :laugh:)

And that during the 90s, the alternative scene kept up the level of quality as its gangster rap counterpart, though obviously it was heard less.

Here you go against the grain  ;)

Another thing. Do you actually consider consider all of Too Short's albums quality albums? Don't make me lol.

where did I say all of Too Short's albums is quality albums?
I said;

-Too Short; Born to Mack,Life Is...Too Short & Get in Where You Fit In

Don't let your subjective opinions mislead you  ;)

I don't know why you're still on that tip about hip hop.
I'm getting really confused here. Are you bullshitting or being serious?
D-Nice said on that other thread that you were just bullshitting and messing around with me.
And you didn't disagree. So why are you sticking to it?

Both...

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:50:59 AM by Vader »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2009, 02:29:46 PM »
your list is a crime.
-Jurassic 5?
-Freestyle fellowship?
-Haiku De'tat?
-Murs?
-Eligh and the Grouch?
-Living Legends?
-The Shape Shifters?
-Madlib?
-Stones Throw Records?
-Dilated Peoples?
-The Alkaholiks?
-Blackalicious?
-People Under the Stairs?

That's just the tip of the iceberg.
What's the point in discussing alternative hip hop if you are going to pretend most of the artists don't exist?

Now I have to assume one of two things;
-Either you are completely ignorant about the alternative hip hop scene,
-or you are talking about popularity again.

I believe its the latter, because you seem like a knowledgeable guy.
In which case, I'm simply going to point out again that this argument isn't about popularity, and refer you back to the post which you quoted.

OK.... I shouldn't really have to explain why I left those out. Or do I?  :P
Most of the artists you mentioned is underground/lesser known artists and/or region favorites and/or personal favorites.
For every artist you mentioned there's a
"Mac Mall,Ray Luv,Seff The Gaffla,C-Bo etc....."
Nobody other than "us" really recognize them,if you know what I'm saying?
The artists and albums originally brought up is recognized coast to coast as bonafied classics.... no question about it.
So by bringing in underground/lesser known artists and/or region favorites and/or personal favorites is pointless.
Subjective opinions don't hold any value in this matter.

You can't just leave good artists out because they aren't making a national impact. That doesn't make any sense. Take hip hop right now for example. A lot of people are saying hip hop sucks right now, which I disagree with. But according to your logic it would be true, since you aren't counting any of the underground rappers. And another thing. If you asked this forum if the south has the best hip hop scene, most people would disagree since a lot of people hate the south right now. But according to your logic it would be true, since they have the most popular rappers and are making the most impact. Do you get what I'm saying yet? So when I say one scene is better than another scene, popularity has nothing to do with it. Popularity means jack shit. Its not like these guys are myspace rappers. Any hip hop head worth his salt knows about Freestyle Fellowship. And you're trying to tell me they don't count towards one genre being better than another? That's crazy. Rappers such as Mac Mall, Ray Luv count as well. But in my opinion they aren't dropping albums worth picking up. That Mac to the Future wasn't a good album to me. I'd rather listen to the new Willie Isz.

Bottom line, a great underground album is always better than an average or weak popular album. Georgiavania >>>>>>>>> Relapse.

To put this in perspective for you,here's two reviews of the Bay area classic Mac Mall; Illegal Business.
One by San Fransisco based magazine "The Bomb" and one by NYC based based magazine "The Source" [/color]

Official reviews;

Mac Mall Illegal Business? review The Source Magazine No.53 Feb.1994

The Source fucked up their rating  :-X >:(
Rating fixed;

Mac Mall Illegal Business? review The Bomb Magazine No.22 September.1993

Get the picture now?

what picture?

I don't know why you're still on that tip about hip hop.
I'm getting really confused here. Are you bullshitting or being serious?
D-Nice said on that other thread that you were just bullshitting and messing around with me.
And you didn't disagree. So why are you sticking to it?

Both...

I guess I'm just going to ignore your genre classifications, since they aren't important enough for you to stick up for them or make clear.

outlaw_uk

• 'G'
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2009, 04:39:00 AM »
J 5 Mc's!!

A Day at the Races, Remember His Name, Concrete Schoolyard!!

cStyle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2009, 11:10:38 AM »
Souls Of Mischief
Extra Prolific
Hieros
The Pharcyde
Anotha Level
Murs

8)

Chad Vader

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2009, 07:21:49 AM »
Rappers such as Mac Mall, Ray Luv count as well. But in my opinion they aren't dropping albums worth picking up.
That Mac to the Future wasn't a good album to me.

I'd rather listen to the new Willie Isz.

the P . I . C . T . U . R . E