Author Topic: 2 of the best Doggfather Songs not written by snoop himself ?  (Read 2706 times)

HighEyeCue

Re: 2 of the best Doggfather Songs not written by snoop himself ?
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2014, 06:44:07 AM »
Is he talking about the top dogg album in the interview ?
Then he's obviously talking about these 2 songs.

I think he is talking about "Ego Trippin" where Snoop said that he used ghostwriters for the entire album

WestSideDon

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2014, 07:14:08 AM »
The entire album ? I think he said he used ghostwriters for some of the songs, not the whole album. Can't remember him explicitly saying the whole album.

bouli77

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2014, 07:53:31 AM »
that was pretty much the concept of the album, him not writing anything, i think all the writers are credited too, which makes them co-writers and not ghostwriters. that's why tray deee dissed him in an interview in prison, comparing him to puffy

Okka

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2014, 02:21:11 PM »
On the Ron Winter Productions release, the credits are a bit different if i remember correct. I used to have it some years ago.

EDIT: I was talkin' about "Tha Doggfather", in case somebody didn't get that.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:29:17 PM by Okka »

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2014, 01:48:13 AM »
real hip hop connoisseurs know the doggfather is the sleeper gem of his catalog.

dj pooh came thru on that thing he lacked vocal presence cuz he didnt have the whole team behind him and i dont think they were mixing snoops vocals right.

doggfather up jump the boogie blueberry wake up my doggz downtown assassin groupie you thought...you motherfuckers need to give that album another listen with a new perspective.

kuruption if trimmed down to one 18 track disc could have been classic too spaceboogie is a turd

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2014, 10:34:45 AM »
real hip hop connoisseurs know the doggfather is the sleeper gem of his catalog.

dj pooh came thru on that thing he lacked vocal presence cuz he didnt have the whole team behind him and i dont think they were mixing snoops vocals right.

doggfather up jump the boogie blueberry wake up my doggz downtown assassin groupie you thought...you motherfuckers need to give that album another listen with a new perspective.

kuruption if trimmed down to one 18 track disc could have been classic too spaceboogie is a turd
kurupt should have just released the west coast side of the album and tweeked it some more. doggfather is a banger I slid that album in the whip the other day and it still sounds dope. #DamnIMissThoseDeathRowDays
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

bouli77

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2014, 12:20:49 PM »

yup, DJ Pooh really came through as you said, the problem was with the mixing, but damn Up Jump Tha Boogie, The Vaporz, Snoops Upside Ya Head all produced by Pooh are banging.

I know it's not the consensus but Snoops Upside Ya Head is really a banger to me, It gives What's My Name a run for its money. Charlie Wilson's bridge is the cherry on the cake. Snoop's verses are really nice even though once again the vocals are a bit too low. Is Snoop sneak dissing Pac at the beginning of the second verse btw ?

adi760

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2014, 02:28:54 PM »
Yep, Upside Ya Head is really good joint, but Vapors? Cmon, this shouldnt be on album, but they make this a single.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qvQn6pva7xk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qvQn6pva7xk</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8lQPYkUj4rI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8lQPYkUj4rI</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ITUONxDP4DA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ITUONxDP4DA</a>

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »
the vapors remix was cool the original left me dissapointed they hardly did anything to the original beat i was expecting like what they did with lodi dodi and they recreated a hip hop classic the vapors shouldn't have been a single and although snoop upside your head felt week upon release if you play that shit now the energy feels good. there was a lot of hype surrounding this album that i think kind of dilluted alot of ppls opinions of that album at the beggining. vapors for me is a low point on the album...me and my doggs is a banger as is doggy land.

what are we bitching about again? weve verified that 80 percent of that album  or more while not up to its potential was still doper then most shit that came out

bouli i thought it was a cautionary type of thing he was giving but being it came out after he died prolly makes it feel more serious.

bouli77

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2014, 04:53:15 PM »
it's funny cause i never cared for either me & my doggs and doggy land, and lord knows i've tried lol. but yeah the album is dope, but I can imagine it being doper having songs like Midnight Love, A Change Is Gonna Come, May I, Usual Suspects and Eastside Party on the final tracklist.

as for Vaporz, yeah it's not as good as Lodi Dodi, but idk I liked how Snoop bigged up his crew and I thought the video was good with Biz Markie doing a cameo, only Warren G was lacking.

snoop upside ya head felt a bit weak indeed but it's because of the muffled vocals I think, i was always mesmerized by the beat, and listening to it recently I think Snoop did well too.

Doggfather was a good choice as a single but I always thought Groupie could have fared well as a single.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2014, 05:42:37 PM »
didnt the booklet say teena marie did vocals to vapors or something? im going strictly off memory but i could have sworn it did and when i remember that song i dont remember female vocals just a saxophone.

like i said i might be wrong but...

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »
up jump the boogie is one of snoops best songs

bouli77

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2014, 06:16:46 PM »
didnt the booklet say teena marie did vocals to vapors or something? im going strictly off memory but i could have sworn it did and when i remember that song i dont remember female vocals just a saxophone.

teena marie and charlie wilson are credited for Up Jump the Boogie if i'm not mistaken (i'd have to check the liner notes), it was a slip up apparently they were featured on a Battlecat remix of the song or something along those lines someone talked about it on this very forum but can't remember who, would have been curious to hear that.

Snoop got totally outshined by Kurupt on Up Jump the Boogie, as he was on Gold Rush and before that on Smooth, lol.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2014, 06:25:30 PM »

teena marie and charlie wilson are credited for Up Jump the Boogie if i'm not mistaken (i'd have to check the liner notes), it was a slip up apparently they were featured on a Battlecat remix of the song or something along those lines someone talked about it on this very forum but can't remember who, would have been curious to hear that.

Snoop got totally outshined by Kurupt on Up Jump the Boogie, as he was on Gold Rush and before that on Smooth, lol.

Teena Marie and Charlie Wilson were credited on both those tracks I think

Snoop was getting outshined left and right by the guests on Doggfather...He did shine on his own solo tracks however

WestSideDon

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2014, 04:37:26 AM »
On the Ron Winter Productions release, the credits are a bit different if i remember correct. I used to have it some years ago.

EDIT: I was talkin' about "Tha Doggfather", in case somebody didn't get that.

Do you remember what differences exactly ?

PS:
Listenin to "Snoops Upside Ya Head" regularly lately, dope ass song. The verses are great, the beat is bangin and charlie wilson is way too funky on this. Only things that bothers me is that snoops voice and vocals sound a bit low. Is there anybody who could improve that and make a better version ?