Author Topic: Caught up in the Game (Daz version vs Doobie version)  (Read 4674 times)

love33

Re: Caught up in the Game (Daz version vs Doobie version)
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 09:48:01 PM »
Post is 100% assumption and 100% fiction. The song was recorded by Daz around 2006-2007 and has nothing to do with the Doobie one (other than using the same sample) despite you trying to connect the dots.

Fact: Daz was the LEAD PRODUCER on Death Row Records when Doobie recorded "Caught Up In The Game" -- "Other than [stealing the same concept] despite [me] connecting the dots"

bouli77

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2017, 12:53:18 AM »
you connecting the dot is the definition of an assumption, you look at two separate things and just because they fit your imagination and somehow the situation, you ASSUME that it happened like that, when in fact there's no evidence.  It's kinda sad that a grown man cannot grasp the concept of "assuming". I mean your theory, because that's what it is, is nice and all, but at this point it's nothing but pure speculation. there is no element, other than the fact that they both used the same sample and gave the song the same name, and were on the same label at the same time, which is nothing sensational as it happened before with other artists (see my posts before), especially considering the fact that they changed one word out of the chorus line.

Daz wasn't in charge of other artists than his camp when he was presumably "running" Death Row. He just produced here and there for Chronic 2000, he didn't oversee anything. He just produced his own albums, launched his sub label Dogg Pound Records on which Crooked I was signed for a short time before making the decision to stay at Death Row when Daz & C-Style told him they were going to part ways with The Row. It's not like Daz was sitting on the whole's label catalogue and having the final say on what was going to be released or not. There's a chance that Daz drew inspiration from it, but in no case it's a fact, just a theory, and in no case it's stealing either.

Daz stole 2pac reels and reels of his own material (which would later be released, remix or not, with R.A.W. & Dillinger & Young Gotti). But there's no evidence that he stole Doobie's track or concept. Once again, you're just assuming it happened.

but I'll let you live in your own fantasy world where Top Dogg was a top prospect and Change The Game Remix was a smash hit, and So So Gangsta almost went gold with On Some Real Shit being a smash hit too  ::) must suck to be stuck on such a shitty musical period 17 years later and be somehow proud that Death Row, Tha Realest and Top Dogg were on top of the industry back then.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2017, 04:23:37 AM »
This shit is gettin' ridiculous.

love33

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2017, 11:41:32 PM »
you connecting the dot is the definition of an assumption, you look at two separate things and just because they fit your imagination and somehow the situation, you ASSUME that it happened like that, when in fact there's no evidence.  It's kinda sad that a grown man cannot grasp the concept of "assuming". I mean your theory, because that's what it is, is nice and all, but at this point it's nothing but pure speculation. there is no element, other than the fact that they both used the same sample and gave the song the same name, and were on the same label at the same time, which is nothing sensational as it happened before with other artists (see my posts before), especially considering the fact that they changed one word out of the chorus line.

Daz wasn't in charge of other artists than his camp when he was presumably "running" Death Row. He just produced here and there for Chronic 2000, he didn't oversee anything. He just produced his own albums, launched his sub label Dogg Pound Records on which Crooked I was signed for a short time before making the decision to stay at Death Row when Daz & C-Style told him they were going to part ways with The Row. It's not like Daz was sitting on the whole's label catalogue and having the final say on what was going to be released or not. There's a chance that Daz drew inspiration from it, but in no case it's a fact, just a theory, and in no case it's stealing either.

Daz stole 2pac reels and reels of his own material (which would later be released, remix or not, with R.A.W. & Dillinger & Young Gotti). But there's no evidence that he stole Doobie's track or concept. Once again, you're just assuming it happened.

but I'll let you live in your own fantasy world where Top Dogg was a top prospect and Change The Game Remix was a smash hit, and So So Gangsta almost went gold with On Some Real Shit being a smash hit too  ::) must suck to be stuck on such a shitty musical period 17 years later and be somehow proud that Death Row, Tha Realest and Top Dogg were on top of the industry back then.

Nah, you aren't accepting reality that Daz was entrusted with the head production role at Death Row Records -- he was meeting with Suge weekly in jail giving him updates on the music and artists

"When Dre left Death Row in ’95, it was Daz that Suge entrusted with directing the new sound of the label as ably as possible" -- Source:  https://thehundreds.com/blog/behind-the-groove-the-3-producers-who-honed-the-death-row-sound/
Everyone knows Dr. Dre was the head producer, then Daz was promoted internally by Suge to head producer -- then when Daz was kicked off, Above The Law's Big Hutch aka Cold187um became the lead producer -- Everything goes through the lead producer, and they are expected to develop the artists, sounds, and review all tracks

Jay Wallace

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »

Then what was "Lead Producer" at Death Row Records if he wasn't working on Death Row Records? 

He WAS working on Death Row Records.  I never implied he wasn’t.  I said there was no evidence that he was second in command at Death Row.  I’ve seen no reliable sources that said Daz was running the show over there in any way.  Even Daz himself said it was Reggie Wright who took over for Suge.

This is true, which is why Dre was RAN OFF the label -- Pac said that he wasn't doing anything -- he was sitting at home while all the work was being done in the studio, and he was nowhere to be found!  Checkout the KMEL interview Pac did where he explains this in detail.

I’ve heard that interview and several others with Pac on this subject.  As is usual with your posts, you have some basic details but are either overlooking or unaware of several other.  Dre was working from his home studio before Pac was even signed to the label.  Some of it had to do with him being placed on house arrest for drunk driving convictions and several other legal troubles.   

Fact: Daz was the LEAD PRODUCER on Death Row Records when Doobie recorded "Caught Up In The Game" -- "Other than [stealing the same concept] despite [me] connecting the dots"

Once again… this still isn’t a confirmed FACT.  Given the timeline, it is probable that it was recorded while Daz was part of the label but again, you’ve shown no evidence that Daz has ever heard the track, let alone that he stole it or recorded his own version.

Nah, you aren't accepting reality that Daz was entrusted with the head production role at Death Row Records -- he was meeting with Suge weekly in jail giving him updates on the music and artists

FACT – Daz was at one point given the head production role at Death Row.

ASSUMPTION – Daz was meeting with Suge weekly in jail.

"When Dre left Death Row in ’95, it was Daz that Suge entrusted with directing the new sound of the label as ably as possible" -- Source:  https://thehundreds.com/blog/behind-the-groove-the-3-producers-who-honed-the-death-row-sound/

Your source is a blog?  Why don’t you quote message boards while you’re at it?  Also, this still gives no description of what that specifically entitles in terms of day-to-day responsibilities.

Everyone knows Dr. Dre was the head producer, then Daz was promoted internally by Suge to head producer -- then when Daz was kicked off, Above The Law's Big Hutch aka Cold187um became the lead producer -- Everything goes through the lead producer, and they are expected to develop the artists, sounds, and review all tracks

No, everybody doesn’t know that.  That’s you claiming that “everybody knows” something to sound like it’s confirmed as factual certainty.  It isn’t.  Nobody from inside the label including Daz himself as ever stated that the label was run as smoothly as you seem to think it was.

You said Daz was promoted internally after Dre’s departure?  When exactly? When Makaveli came out, there was no Daz production and all the inside stories make no mention of Daz being involved at all.  In the “making of” article in XXL, one of the Outlawz states that Bad Azz being on Krazy was kind of a surprise since Pac’s clique wasn’t working with anyone from Dogg Pound at that point.
Doggfather has only three tracks produced by Daz and the booklet shows DJ Pooh as being the creative director on that album.  He’s pictured next to Snoop in the publicity photos for the album and has the most production on the album.

He only has one production credit on “Christmas on Death Row” on a Dogg Pound song.  He’s got a few tracks on Rage’s album, none on Mich’elle’s.  Him being in charge of “Chronic 2000” seems unlikely as well.  I find it questionable that he was a big force behind the development of Top Dogg or Tha Realest as an artist or in dissing Snoop.  The only album that came out in this time that feels like he was the driving force behind is his own solo album. 

love33

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2017, 12:22:23 AM »
Dre was working from his home studio
On the MTV Documentary, which this is the most accurate one, they talk about how Dre was scared and was maturing, and some of the artists like Outlawz and Nate Dogg said he didnt want to be a part of the gang banging going on and they had young artists and beatdowns and it just wasn't the environment Dre wanted to work in anymore

(Daz) being in charge of “Chronic 2000” seems unlikely as well.  I find it questionable that he was a big force behind the development of Top Dogg or Tha Realest as an artist or in dissing Snoop.  The only album that came out in this time that feels like he was the driving force behind is his own solo album. 

Daz was allover "All Eyez On Me"

Daz & Tha Realest were recording together quite a bit, even two hand selected tracks were put on Chronic 2K of them and Daz was on Realest's solo album, so we know they were in the studio together quite a bit while Daz was the seasoned vet at the label 98-2000.

Jay Wallace

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2017, 07:33:50 AM »

On the MTV Documentary, which this is the most accurate one, they talk about how Dre was scared and was maturing, and some of the artists like Outlawz and Nate Dogg said he didnt want to be a part of the gang banging going on and they had young artists and beatdowns and it just wasn't the environment Dre wanted to work in anymore.  

It being the “most accurate” one is open to interpretation.  Being that you or I never worked there or knew any of the participants, a judgment on the accuracy of how events were described is not one that can be expertly made.  That being said, it can certainly be reasoned that the growing tensions at the label once Tupac got there did not help matters but there is also plenty of media that describes that Dre was becoming unhappy long before that.

On the special features for “Welcome To Death Row”, Snoop says he saw the changes with Dre when they moved into Can-Am Studios to work on the Dogg Food album.  He mentions that DOC and RBX leaving were factors as well.  Other factors that have also come out were how the death of Eazy-E affected him and his being shot.  He was also on house arrest in 1995.  

From a more subtle perspective, it would go back even further.  By 1994, Suge was becoming more involved in the product.  Where Dre was originally in charge of creatively overseeing projects, Suge was moving away from simply being the business end and influencing album content more.  “Murder Was The Case” was largely supposed to be a presentation of Snoop and his stable of artists from Long Beach, Suge pushing to add Danny Boy, DJ Quik, Young Soldierz, and other artists he was representing on the finished project.  

Daz was allover "All Eyez On Me"

True but keep in mind that a lot of tracks for “All Eyez” were recorded for other projects and given to Pac so he could quickly put together his double album.  Also, if we are looking at timelines, Dre would have still have been in the “head of production” seat when this album was recorded.

Daz & Tha Realest were recording together quite a bit, even two hand selected tracks were put on Chronic 2K of them and Daz was on Realest's solo album, so we know they were in the studio together quite a bit while Daz was the seasoned vet at the label 98-2000.

Hand selected by who?  

Also, here is Daz breaking down the creative process of “developing” Realest and Top Dogg and working on Chronic 2000….

love33

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2017, 03:52:06 PM »

Hand selected by who?  

Also, here is Daz breaking down the creative process of “developing” Realest and Top Dogg and working on Chronic 2000….

Suge picked all the tracks for the final Chronic 2000 version -- We know Daz is being dishonest here -- (First off, how does the Interviewer not know Daz was not on "2001", did he really need to ask that, I thought that was common knowledge for any fan who was alive at that time that Kurupt was the only cat on both albums -- if he didn't know, he could've looked that up before he did the interview) -- If I was interviewing, I would've said "You didn't 'fuck with them cats'? Then What about "Because of You Girl" video, "Way Too Real" and your work you were doing on Tha Realest album, what about "It's Going Down", and the production and tracks you guys recorded together?" -- this interviewer couldn't even figure out who was on the albums, and went in there unprepared -- Daz knew the name of the "Too Gangsta For Radio" album -- he is obviously very biter at how it went down when he departed the label (if you remember he went out as TGFR was being recorded, and then he went full "F Death Row" when he left and making all these diss tracks and mad at Kurupt for being on the label) -- he said they owed him money at the time and that's when all the diss stuff started happening -- so his account, is dishonest at best, and a good interviewer would hit him with hard questions instead of not even knowing who was on the albums!

i.e. How he could have asked Daz -----> "Oh The Fakest? You mean the guy you recorded with all these tracks <start naming off stuff they did> -- Then, "Do you have beef with him now? How did that happen? Cause you obviously didn't call him "Tha Fakest" when you guys were cool in 1999, shooting music videos together, when did you decide you guys weren't cool?"

Interviewer dropped the ball here!

Jay Wallace

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2017, 07:54:32 PM »
Dude, you need to catch on to the fact that someone like Vlad ain't gonna care to ask about some rapper that most of his viewers are never going to know about.  The key point of the interview is about Dre and Suge and their competing "Chronic" albums.  This was put out around the time of the "Straight Outta Compton" movie.  Whether Vlad knew who Top Dogg and Realest are or not, he's not going to sidetrack the main topic to go in-depth about them.  Vlad is being an interviewer.  He's phrasing questions to get to the info that will attract the most viewers. 

The fact that you are passionate about obscure West Coast artists and projects does not mean that everything is "common knowledge".  Expecting him to go in-depth about Tha Realest is probably not going to happen.