Poll

Which song is better?

Mack 10 (feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg & Ice Cube) - Only In California
5 (23.8%)
Daz Dillinger (feat. Lady V) - In California
16 (76.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Only In California Vs In California  (Read 2578 times)

kingsol81

Re: Only In California Vs In California
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 03:55:10 AM »
I made this thread 'cause of this old MTV article i read about Daz' and his first album. I think I've posted it once before some years ago? He actually talks about "Only In California" too, he was supposed to be on it, but he started beefin' with Snoop so they took him out of the song. Daz still has a writin' credit on it, I'm lookin' at the booklet right now. I think this was around the same time when Snoop and Mack 10 supposedly recorded a diss song about Daz. Snoop spoke on it on one of his old DubCNN interviews. Anyway, I love both songs, but I've always liked "In California" more, it's just a perfect song for the summer. Both songs are though.

SAN FRANCISCO -- For a time during the making of his first solo album, Retaliation, Revenge and Get Back, gangsta-rapper and g-funk producer Daz Dillinger worried that the big switch might have been thrown on Death Row. The controversial label had lost its signature rap-superstars Snoop Doggy Dog, 2Pac and Dr. Dre., and Dillinger's former Dogg Pound partner Kurupt had made the leap to his own Wall Street Records. "Everyone thought 'Snoop Dogg left, Kurupt left,' but they forgot about Daz," the 24-year-old rapper said in an interview at San Francisco's Hotel Triton on Friday. "I was never like how they was, all in the limelight. I was the underboss of the Dogg Pound, [and] still is." In fact, Dillinger said he almost bolted from the label, but he finally decided to stick with what he knew best. "[I was thinking] 'Everyone else was leaving, so maybe I should leave, too,' " he explained. "And then I was just like 'Fuck it, it's on. I've got to make the best of this shit.' " The result is the rapper's recently released Retaliation, Revenge and Get Back, which Dillinger described as "some bang'n hard-core ass shit." One of Dillinger's favorite cuts on the album is "It Might Sound Crazy" , a song that he described as "pimp shit" -- referring to a lifestyle of living large -- that features the lyrical stylings of rap's original self-proclaimed pimp, Too $hort. Dressed in a blue T-shirt and sweat pants with a large, golden emblem of a Dogg Pound dog paw hanging on a chain around his neck, Dillinger said the genesis of the track kicked in when he first met Too $hort at a West Coast meeting of some of rap's top dogs. "I hooked up with Too $hort at Ice-T's place at this West Coast meeting," he explained. "Me, [Westside Connection member] WC, Too $hort, just a gang of people watching the [Tyson-Holyfield] fight. We're over there looking at that and then we just started having meetings in the back." After bonding with Too $hort, Dillinger said he knew that "It Might Sound Crazy" was made for the West Coast rap legend as soon as he heard it. "We went over to Priest's [Brooks, one of Dillinger's musical collaborators] house and he had 'It Might Sound Crazy' on his drum machine. He was playing it and I was like, 'Damn, that's like Too $hort!' You know, I can hear motherfuckers on these tracks. That's how I make music. That's how I make a beat, I can just hear someone on that track." While the album is loaded with Dillinger's g-funk sound, it also comes with a new sensibility that has much to do with the recent turbulence in the rap scene. He noted that he has modified the presentation of his songs a bit in the wake of the deaths of his former labelmate the late gangsta-rapper Tupac Shakur and cross-coast rival Christopher "Notorious B.I.G." Wallace. "We definitely looked and definitely learned from [their] mistakes," Dillinger said. "We learned what to do and what not to do. Not to get rowdy, rowdy with it, but to be conservative." Brooks, who goes by the name "Soopafly" and has a solo album coming out in May, agrees with Dillinger that maturity has affected how they write and perform. "Right now, niggas don't give a fuck, but back then we really didn't give a fuck," he explained. "Now they're grown, they got kids, family, houses, they're payin' taxes and that grown-up shit that you've got to deal with. You gotta know that if you fuck up this way, you won't be rapping tomorrow." One of the album's songs that Dillinger and Brooks were involved in, "In California", was a sort of settling of musical accounts. It was provoked by Mack 10's cut, "Only In California," from his upcoming The Recipe, a song that Dillinger helped to write but was precluded from performing on because of a disagreement in the studio. Dillinger said he recorded "In California" as a way to make sure that his message got across, but he shrugged at the idea of feeling excluded from the Mack 10 hit. "I'm not worried," he said, " 'cos I'm getting paid from both of them." With Retaliation, Revenge and Get Back on the burner and such labelmates as the Outlawz and Soopafly active in their own right, Dillinger said he thinks that Death Row has a lot of life left in it. "We just going to continue to do our thing," he said.

http://www.mtv.com/news/151460/daz-dillinger-living-large-on-death-row/
Daz said he wrote the hook for Only In California and came up with the cadence of it. Both great songs but I would give a slight edge to Only In California based off the beat. Although if the sun is out I might give it to In California, really depends on the mood im in.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 03:58:41 AM by kingsol81 »

The following users thanked this post: dj coma

dj coma

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 12:14:53 PM »
I made this thread 'cause of this old MTV article i read about Daz' and his first album. I think I've posted it once before some years ago? He actually talks about "Only In California" too, he was supposed to be on it, but he started beefin' with Snoop so they took him out of the song. Daz still has a writin' credit on it, I'm lookin' at the booklet right now. I think this was around the same time when Snoop and Mack 10 supposedly recorded a diss song about Daz. Snoop spoke on it on one of his old DubCNN interviews. Anyway, I love both songs, but I've always liked "In California" more, it's just a perfect song for the summer. Both songs are though.

SAN FRANCISCO -- For a time during the making of his first solo album, Retaliation, Revenge and Get Back, gangsta-rapper and g-funk producer Daz Dillinger worried that the big switch might have been thrown on Death Row. The controversial label had lost its signature rap-superstars Snoop Doggy Dog, 2Pac and Dr. Dre., and Dillinger's former Dogg Pound partner Kurupt had made the leap to his own Wall Street Records. "Everyone thought 'Snoop Dogg left, Kurupt left,' but they forgot about Daz," the 24-year-old rapper said in an interview at San Francisco's Hotel Triton on Friday. "I was never like how they was, all in the limelight. I was the underboss of the Dogg Pound, [and] still is." In fact, Dillinger said he almost bolted from the label, but he finally decided to stick with what he knew best. "[I was thinking] 'Everyone else was leaving, so maybe I should leave, too,' " he explained. "And then I was just like 'Fuck it, it's on. I've got to make the best of this shit.' " The result is the rapper's recently released Retaliation, Revenge and Get Back, which Dillinger described as "some bang'n hard-core ass shit." One of Dillinger's favorite cuts on the album is "It Might Sound Crazy" , a song that he described as "pimp shit" -- referring to a lifestyle of living large -- that features the lyrical stylings of rap's original self-proclaimed pimp, Too $hort. Dressed in a blue T-shirt and sweat pants with a large, golden emblem of a Dogg Pound dog paw hanging on a chain around his neck, Dillinger said the genesis of the track kicked in when he first met Too $hort at a West Coast meeting of some of rap's top dogs. "I hooked up with Too $hort at Ice-T's place at this West Coast meeting," he explained. "Me, [Westside Connection member] WC, Too $hort, just a gang of people watching the [Tyson-Holyfield] fight. We're over there looking at that and then we just started having meetings in the back." After bonding with Too $hort, Dillinger said he knew that "It Might Sound Crazy" was made for the West Coast rap legend as soon as he heard it. "We went over to Priest's [Brooks, one of Dillinger's musical collaborators] house and he had 'It Might Sound Crazy' on his drum machine. He was playing it and I was like, 'Damn, that's like Too $hort!' You know, I can hear motherfuckers on these tracks. That's how I make music. That's how I make a beat, I can just hear someone on that track." While the album is loaded with Dillinger's g-funk sound, it also comes with a new sensibility that has much to do with the recent turbulence in the rap scene. He noted that he has modified the presentation of his songs a bit in the wake of the deaths of his former labelmate the late gangsta-rapper Tupac Shakur and cross-coast rival Christopher "Notorious B.I.G." Wallace. "We definitely looked and definitely learned from [their] mistakes," Dillinger said. "We learned what to do and what not to do. Not to get rowdy, rowdy with it, but to be conservative." Brooks, who goes by the name "Soopafly" and has a solo album coming out in May, agrees with Dillinger that maturity has affected how they write and perform. "Right now, niggas don't give a fuck, but back then we really didn't give a fuck," he explained. "Now they're grown, they got kids, family, houses, they're payin' taxes and that grown-up shit that you've got to deal with. You gotta know that if you fuck up this way, you won't be rapping tomorrow." One of the album's songs that Dillinger and Brooks were involved in, "In California", was a sort of settling of musical accounts. It was provoked by Mack 10's cut, "Only In California," from his upcoming The Recipe, a song that Dillinger helped to write but was precluded from performing on because of a disagreement in the studio. Dillinger said he recorded "In California" as a way to make sure that his message got across, but he shrugged at the idea of feeling excluded from the Mack 10 hit. "I'm not worried," he said, " 'cos I'm getting paid from both of them." With Retaliation, Revenge and Get Back on the burner and such labelmates as the Outlawz and Soopafly active in their own right, Dillinger said he thinks that Death Row has a lot of life left in it. "We just going to continue to do our thing," he said.

http://www.mtv.com/news/151460/daz-dillinger-living-large-on-death-row/
Daz said he wrote the hook for Only In California and came up with the cadence of it. Both great songs but I would give a slight edge to Only In California based off the beat. Although if the sun is out I might give it to In California, really depends on the mood im in.

Ya it doesn't actually say there is a version with Daz rapping on it, as some in this thread have said.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2020, 12:43:29 PM »
Both bangers but I got to go with Daz...

...Daz still had bangers stockpiled for his album from Death Row’s prime and this joint should’ve been a big hit.

probably the most slept on Death Row album of all time...still gets play from me frequently

Yeah man, all these Daz interviews, but I never heard much reflection on this album.  Just some bits and pieces here and there.  Reggie Wright gave a bit of background at the time and talked about a plan they had for “might sound crazy” video and the Snoop/No Limit situation around that time and Daz relationship with Snoop, his position at Death Row...very interesting period... it’s almost damn near heroic Daz pulled off an album of that quality as Death Row was falling apart at that time. 

I’d like to hear Daz opinion though if he was disappointed wit not even going gold off that gem of an album and why it didn’t sell better, etc

It Might Sound Crazy video

Pimp City was only on the cassette version and later on Soopafly's album

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:50:22 PM by HighEyeCue »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 04:17:55 PM »
Years ago a freind of mine worked at this massive airport warehouse that dealt with aviation gold jewellery, cartier watches, top brand liquor  etc...there was a hi-fi in the managers office connected to speakers throughout the place.

The old night-shift workers used to play the wackest radio channels, every night that damn Titanic love song every hour or so. They never got sick of it.

One day, me and a few others snuck in too see on his last night there, we poured out the liquor and blazed up and took over the hi-fi.

I slapped in a fresh tape of Mack 10's 'Based On A True Story' on the hi-fi deck, those working below were in shock that someone jacked thier radio and replaced it with some hoo-bangin shit.
The look on thier faces was priceless and they was snarlin.

Blasted the whole fuckin album, 'Only In Cali' bumped in the warehouse haha.

Good story...

...also an precarious moment in Snoop's career at that time.  When he was kind of left for dead by Death Row and still hadn't gotten things moving with No Limit.  He did make a lot of great music in that period though... Just off the top of my head...

"Only In California"
"Caught Up" with Kurupt
"Hooked" Got the hook up soundtrack, Soopafly banger
"Throw Your Hood Up" one of his best and first No Limit produced tracks
a couple bangers with Jermaine Dupri (even rumors at the time he might sign with So So Def
"O.G.'z" with Daz of course this track could of been 2-4 years old by the time it was released
"When Doggy Dogg Comes" (you better answer) banger with Val Young
"Midnight Love" Daz unreleased single
"Zoom" with Dre (that became an L.L. song

...a lot of interesting music by Snoop during that time period of his career.  Then ofcourse he got with No Limit and started getting cheap production and and put out that trash album that still sold 2 million off of name recognition alone--I still remember being at a Midnight Sale summer of 96' Blockbuster Music and buying that album at midnight there was a big line outside the record store it was really cool to see... No Limit would always put one of the hype tracks first so I popped that bitch in and I was like "OHHH SHIT THIS IS GONNA BE HUGE" and the second and third track were alright as well... but off top.. I think the 4th was that "Woof" track which was an obvious lame attempt at another catch phrase "Make Um Say Uh"... I got to the end of that album and the same depression came over me that came over me when I put my hopes in Snoop on the Doggfather album and he bricked... Snoop had bricked again...

Only quality track on there was that "Top Dolla With The Gold Flee Coller" Still A G Thang joint that wasn't even No Limit production it was Meach...

...Then Eminem of course saved the day and brought life back to Dre and Dre brought life back to Snoop and there was the West Resurgence No Limit Top Dogg, Eastsidaz, Last Meal renaissance of Snoop's career.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Okka

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 04:03:50 AM »
Years ago a freind of mine worked at this massive airport warehouse that dealt with aviation gold jewellery, cartier watches, top brand liquor  etc...there was a hi-fi in the managers office connected to speakers throughout the place.

The old night-shift workers used to play the wackest radio channels, every night that damn Titanic love song every hour or so. They never got sick of it.

One day, me and a few others snuck in too see on his last night there, we poured out the liquor and blazed up and took over the hi-fi.

I slapped in a fresh tape of Mack 10's 'Based On A True Story' on the hi-fi deck, those working below were in shock that someone jacked thier radio and replaced it with some hoo-bangin shit.

Good story...

...also an precarious moment in Snoop's career at that time.  When he was kind of left for dead by Death Row and still hadn't gotten things moving with No Limit.  He did make a lot of great music in that period though... Just off the top of my head...

"Only In California"
"Caught Up" with Kurupt
a couple bangers with Jermaine Dupri (even rumors at the time he might sign with So So Def
"O.G.'z" with Daz of course this track could of been 2-4 years old by the time it was released

"Midnight Love" was a Snoop song that was actually released in 1997. Never seen anybody think it was a Daz song. "When Doggy Dogg Comes" is actually called "Change Gone Come".

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 08:42:58 AM »

Good story...

"Only In California"
"Caught Up" with Kurupt

"Midnight Love" was a Snoop song that was actually released in 1997. Never seen anybody think it was a Daz song. "When Doggy Dogg Comes" is actually called "Change Gone Come".

lol.. you're always splitting hairs bro I was just lazy and didn't type "featuring".. but yeah obviously everyone knows that was a Snoop single not a Daz single....

...and if "Midnight Love was released it wasn't released anywhere in Kansas City

...and yeah it was 97' and it was still the time period I'm talking about when Snoop was sort of stranded on Death Row and in that transition period from Death Row to No Limit...
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

The following users thanked this post: Okka

kingsol81

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 01:17:34 AM »

Good story...

"Only In California"
"Caught Up" with Kurupt

lol.. you're always splitting hairs bro I was just lazy and didn't type "featuring".. but yeah obviously everyone knows that was a Snoop single not a Daz single....

...and if "Midnight Love was released it wasn't released anywhere in Kansas City

...and yeah it was 97' and it was still the time period I'm talking about when Snoop was sort of stranded on Death Row and in that transition period from Death Row to No Limit...
Midnight Love was released as a single with Doggfather in 97, it was intended for the Doggumentary EP.  https://www.discogs.com/release/1078089-Midnight-Love-Doggfather/images  I definitely agree Snoop did a lot of dope music in 97, and had a lot more planned, I always wonder if there were ever sessions for the 3 Tha Hardway album he had planned with Kurupt and Cube. The fact that they had a deal in place with A&M records for it leaves me hopeful that maybe there are some unreleased songs intended for that project.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 01:21:14 AM by kingsol81 »

Okka

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 11:11:53 AM »
3 Tha Hardway? I don't think ever heard anythin' about that and those three are my favorite rappers from the West Coast with Xzibit. Is there any old interviews about this project etc?

kingsol81

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 02:45:06 PM »
3 Tha Hardway? I don't think ever heard anythin' about that and those three are my favorite rappers from the West Coast with Xzibit. Is there any old interviews about this project etc?
Heres an excerpt from a NY Times article where its mentioned, theres an MTV one where he talks about it but im having trouble finding it.      Snoop Doggy Dogg has recorded an EP of remixes and new songs called ''Doggumentary,'' which remains unreleased in Death Row's vaults; an untitled new album for which he has no clear release plans, and a collaboration with the rappers Ice Cube and Kurupt under the name Three the Hard Way. It is to be released on A&M Records. He also plans to record a collaboration with his estranged producer, Dr. Dre, ''Break Up to Make Up,'' and a concept album and movie about his experiences with Death Row, ''Corleone's Revenge,'' this year  Heres a link to the full article.         https://www.nytimes.com/1998/03/14/arts/label-reports-signing-snoop-doggy-dogg.html

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 05:26:01 PM »
Heres an excerpt from a NY Times article where its mentioned, theres an MTV one where he talks about it but im having trouble finding it.      Snoop Doggy Dogg has recorded an EP of remixes and new songs called ''Doggumentary,'' which remains unreleased in Death Row's vaults; an untitled new album for which he has no clear release plans, and a collaboration with the rappers Ice Cube and Kurupt under the name Three the Hard Way. It is to be released on A&M Records. He also plans to record a collaboration with his estranged producer, Dr. Dre, ''Break Up to Make Up,'' and a concept album and movie about his experiences with Death Row, ''Corleone's Revenge,'' this year  Heres a link to the full article.         https://www.nytimes.com/1998/03/14/arts/label-reports-signing-snoop-doggy-dogg.html

LOL @ Corleone's Revenge

Sccit

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 07:54:04 PM »

this is my first time hearing this as well

Okka

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2020, 01:53:31 AM »

Thanks for the info, man! I can't read that article though. Could somebody post it here?

kingsol81

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2020, 02:36:47 AM »
No Limit Records, the label run by Master P, one of hip-hop's most successful self-made executives, rappers and filmmakers, announced yesterday that it had signed Snoop Doggy Dogg to the label. It said that on Aug. 4 it would release Snoop Doggy Dogg's long-awaited third album, ''Da Game Is to Be Sold Not to Be Told.''

One of the country's biggest gangsta rappers, Snoop Doggy Dogg helped build the label Death Row into the biggest rap label of the early 90's, but it is being investigated by the Justice Department because of allegations that it uses violent business tactics and had a financial relationship with a convicted drug dealer. The company denies the allegations. But recently the rapper has been criticizing the label in public, accusing it of withholding payments, cheating him of his song-publishing rights and letting its business go dormant with its head, Suge Knight, serving a nine-year prison term for parole violations. (David Kenner, Death Row's lawyer, did not return calls seeking comment.)

In one new song, ''Death Row Killa,'' Snoop Doggy Dogg calls the label ''snitches'' and ''wannabe gangstas,'' rapping that his ''life ain't worth losing'' in a drive-by shooting like the one that killed Tupac Shakur. Snoop Doggy Dogg said he felt that with songs like this, ''the average record label wouldn't want to put out my new music because of certain things I say and the way I say them.''

In another unreleased song, Snoop Doggy Dogg raps about his autonomy from Death Row, comparing himself to Master P as a paradigm of independence. As recently as two weeks ago, Death Row Records was saying that Snoop Doggy Dogg still owed it six albums under his contract. Death Row Records did not return phone calls inquiring whether he had been released from the label. Snoop Doggy Dogg says that his contract was breached and that under a California statute limiting personal service contracts to seven years, he is a free rapper.
 Complicating the matter, a representative for Snoop Doggy Dogg who spoke on condition of anonymity said the No Limit announcement was misleading and that discussions were in progress with several major record labels on distributing the rapper's new albums. A spokeswoman for No Limit, however, said that Snoop Doggy Dogg was in the studio working with producers and executives on new songs for the label.

Snoop Doggy Dogg has recorded an EP of remixes and new songs called ''Doggumentary,'' which remains unreleased in Death Row's vaults; an untitled new album for which he has no clear release plans, and a collaboration with the rappers Ice Cube and Kurupt under the name Three the Hard Way. It is to be released on A&M Records. He also plans to record a collaboration with his estranged producer, Dr. Dre, ''Break Up to Make Up,'' and a concept album and movie about his experiences with Death Row, ''Corleone's Revenge,'' this year.    ''Basically I'm just trying to put out the best music I can put out,'' he said. ''I'm peaking right now. I'm not in my prime, but I'm peaking. And when you're peaking you're supposed to keep doing what you do. I just want to be completely out of this situation with Death Row, get my publishing, move forward, get me a great new situation and get my life started all over again.''

-Quikness-

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2020, 05:34:55 PM »
Gotta go with Daz on this .. one of the last gems from Deathrow